Author Topic: Trump accepts Nikki Haley’s resignation as UN ambassador  (Read 2532 times)

BassWrangler

Re: Trump accepts Nikki Haley’s resignation as UN ambassador
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2018, 02:26:48 pm »
Her resignation letter came before that request for an investigation.  They just held it until after the Kavanaugh nomination.

The second I heard this news, the first thing I thought was "she wants to make some money", and that was before I knew anything about her family's financial situation.  She can now write a book, make speeches, and rack up some money to give herself and her family comfort and financial security.  It makes complete sense.

And, she's young enough to do that for a bit and then re-enter the fray.  If Trump decides not to run, I think she'd easily be the GOP candidate most likely to give the Democrats nightmares.  And if he does run, then she'd be in the top tier for 2024.

I think this analysis is spot on. By leaving now, her reputation is intact and she's leaving on good terms. There is little upside to her staying on as UN ambassador beyond this point. She can go make some money and be ready to spin up her campaign org when the time is right.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2018, 02:39:12 pm »
I think this analysis is spot on. By leaving now, her reputation is intact and she's leaving on good terms. There is little upside to her staying on as UN ambassador beyond this point. She can go make some money and be ready to spin up her campaign org when the time is right.

The thing that bothered me when I first heard this was that this isn't the kind of job you just give a two-week notice and move on.  You give the administration time to come up with a replacement and may even have some overlap so that the replacement can take over without a major loss of institutional knowledge and efficiency. 

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2018, 02:55:35 pm »
The thing that bothered me when I first heard this was that this isn't the kind of job you just give a two-week notice and move on.  You give the administration time to come up with a replacement and may even have some overlap so that the replacement can take over without a major loss of institutional knowledge and efficiency.

But she didn't give a two week notice.  The leftist media is trying to spin it that way, pointing out how her staff was "shocked" and only found out that morning.  But here's her direct quote from her own resignation letter:

"To give you time to select a replacement, and to give the Senate time to consider your selection, I am prepared to continue to serve until January 2019."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/09/politics/nikki-haley-resignation-letter/index.html
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 02:59:02 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »