Author Topic: The Trump administration is throwing $4.7 billion at US farmers to try and make up for the trade war  (Read 864 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-trade-war-tariffs-usda-farmers-aid-soybeans-2018-8

The US Department of Agriculture on Monday announced the first wave of financial assistance for US farmers hurt by President Donald Trump's trade war.

The initial investment of just under $4.7 billion will be distributed to corn, cotton, dairy, hog, sorghum, soybean, and wheat farmers, who have seen prices dive since Trump kicked off the trade battles with China, Canada, the European Union, Mexico, and more. The money is the first portion of a planned $12 billion aid package.

Prices of US agricultural goods have plummeted since the announcement of tariffs on American crops. Since it is harder for US farmers to sell their goods, supply gluts have become worse, driving down prices. This has hurt US farmers even if their goods are not sold directly to the countries with tariffs.

Many countries have targeted US crops with their tariffs to exert not just economic, but also political, pressure on the US, since many farmers are in GOP-held areas won by Trump. For instance, eight of the top 10 soybean-producing states were won by Trump in 2016.

More at link.

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
bleep are just as economically retarded as leftards.

bleep are just as economically retarded as leftards.
Who is bleep?  I'm just kidding.  Great argument.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Geez.... I see that some NTs are getting sexually aroused.

There are casualties in any 'War', whether it's from policies, weapons or even words spoken.

You can't suddenly leave U.S. Heartland farmers in a lurch.   There are loans taken out to pay for land leases, seed, equipment, etc..

In order to gain any advantage of foreign oil, whether Middle Eastern or South American, ethanol was added to gasoline.

Does anybody that can fog a GD mirror have a problem understanding that with stakes so high, Donald Trump would go out of his way to assist American farmers?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

There are casualties in any 'War', whether it's from policies, weapons or even words spoken.

You can't suddenly leave U.S. Heartland farmers in a lurch.   There are loans taken out to pay for land leases, seed, equipment, etc..

In order to gain any advantage of foreign oil, whether Middle Eastern or South American, ethanol was added to gasoline.

Does anybody that can fog a GD mirror have a problem understanding that with stakes so high, Donald Trump would go out of his way to assist American farmers?

It's the least he could do after starting the war.  Trump doesn't know what he's doing, now excuse me I have an erection to attend to.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
In boon for farmers, Trump lifts restrictions on ethanol
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 10:52:03 am »
Houston Chronicle By MATTHEW DALY,  Oct. 9, 2018

The Trump administration is moving to allow year-round sales of gasoline with higher blends of ethanol, a boon for Iowa and other farm states that have pushed for greater sales of the corn-based fuel.

President Donald Trump announced he is lifting a federal ban on summer sales of high-ethanol blends during a trip to Iowa on Tuesday.

"Today we are unleashing the power of E15 to fuel our country all year long," Trump said at a campaign rally, referring to gasoline blends with up to 15 percent ethanol.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/article/In-boon-for-farmers-Trump-lifting-restrictions-13291804.php

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: In boon for farmers, Trump lifts restrictions on ethanol
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 10:56:22 am »
Trump ties decision on ethanol to keeping campaign promise

President Trump chalked up his announcement on boosting ethanol for farmers in Iowa to his record of "promises made, promises kept," while speaking in Iowa Tuesday night.

"I made that promise to you during the campaign," Trump said. "I made that promise to you during the primaries. Promises made, promises kept."

"We're going with E15 year-round," Trump said early in his speech, admitting that the full announcement would come later in his remarks.

The plan would relax Environmental Protection Agency rules that restrict the sale of 15-percent ethanol fuel blends to eight months of the year. The EPA waiver for the E15 fuel would allow it to be sold year-round, which corn farmers and ethanol producers have been pushing the administration to do for months.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy/trump-ties-decision-on-ethanol-to-keeping-campaign-promise

Offline Concerned

I suppose billion dollar government bailouts are now considered "conservative" by some.   *****rollingeyes*****
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I suppose billion dollar government bailouts are now considered "conservative" by some.   *****rollingeyes*****

To some Democrats, liberalism is their religion

It's the same with too many Conservatives.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
This I don't agree with. Farmers don't need a handout, they need to learn to adapt better.
The Republic is lost.

Offline endicom

This was a campaign compromise he made. He would lose legislators like Grassley if he didn't carry through. And the GOP would lose the vote in some necessary states.

Does anyone imagine that Reagan didn't play the game?

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 01:14:50 pm »
That may make the farmers happy, but many cars can't use it.  I won't use it.  Will it really sell that much more?
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline endicom

This I don't agree with. Farmers don't need a handout, they need to learn to adapt better.

On the one side is these voters... ...and on the other is the big bucks of agribusiness.

They could and should adapt but that will be a tough row to hoe.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 01:42:25 pm »
What happened to Tetraethylead in gasoline?

Don't you suppose that the same thing could happen to E10?

And then all gasoline would be E15,  or contain even a greater percentage of ethanol?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 01:45:50 pm »
The Trump administration is moving to allow year-round sales of gasoline with higher blends of ethanol...

I wish he would also allow the widespread sale of gasoline without ANY ethanol and let the marketplace be the decider!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

Topics merged.