Author Topic: David Attenborough: To Save The Planet Population Growth Has To End  (Read 694 times)

rangerrebew

David Attenborough: To Save The Planet Population Growth Has To End

By Rosie McCall
05 Oct 2018, 15:22

Earlier this week, David Attenborough sat down to talk to BBC Newsnight ahead of his upcoming five-part nature series Dynasties, which will air on the BBC sometime soon. (The official release date has not yet been announced.) During the interview, the 92-year-old broadcasting veteran discussed the future of our planet, touching on plastic pollution, vegetarianism, population growth, and the Paris Agreement.

Attenborough's previous project, Blue Planet II, helped kickstart a global debate on our destructive addiction to plastic and the effect it is having on the world's oceans. (Not to mention the climate, wildlife, and our diets.) Speaking about single-use plastic bags in the wake of taxes and bans in several countries, Attenborough told Newsnight's Evan Davis: "We should do our best to avoid the use of plastic" but added, "one mustn't maximize the effect of not using a plastic bag."

https://www.iflscience.com/environment/david-attenborough-to-save-the-planet-population-growth-has-to-end/

Offline dfwgator

Re: David Attenborough: To Save The Planet Population Growth Has To End
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 04:13:45 pm »
You first, David.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 04:20:16 pm »
Dumb Limey bastard. What colour is the sky in his world.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 04:24:11 pm »
35% of the world population is in two countries: China and India. The USA is a distant third.

But I betcha his focus is strictly on Europe and America.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 11:09:04 pm »
I don't disagree with Mr. Attenborough.

I remember the America of my youth (1950s).
The population around 1955 was about 165 million.
Now, it's double that (and that probably doesn't count an additional 20+ million illegals).

When I think back of the wide open spaces I knew as a child then, and how those spaces are now all built up -- I liked it better back then.

Yes, I realize that the technological/medical advances since then have improved the quality of life. These improvements are undeniable.

But... there -are- "limits to sensible growth".
Must everywhere look like northern New Jersey or southern California or Cook County before we realize this?

I can remember living in Largo, FL (and later on Treasure Island west of St. Petersburg) and it seemed crowded even then, back in the sixties. I can't imagine it now.

I've seen my part of CT become (today) what New Jersey was like back in the 70's.
This is inevitable?
This must be the future?

To those of you who will disagree with me (I'm sure that will be most in this forum), I challenge you to provide the answer to this question:
What would be the ideal population of the United States?
I dare you to answer with an actual number.
I'll be waitin'...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 11:40:25 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 07:10:41 am »
Time to dust this one off, I guess