Author Topic: Live Thread>>Hurricane Michael  (Read 9568 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Live Thread>>Hurricane Michael
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2018, 12:31:07 am »
True, if you done f'ed up and waited too long.

Great.  You should turn your two week evac plans into a family vacation.  Kill two birds with one stone.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2018, 12:44:03 am »
I have left shelter(evacuated?) only once due to a hurricane. It was Hurricane Edith in 71. I was planning to ride it out with my sister in a mobile home(with no tie downs) in Sulphur La. Just as the wind was really getting strong, my sister got a call telling her to ride it out at a friend's house. So I got talked into taking her. As we left the trailer park, the wind blew the power lines together and it was like the 4th of July as the wires exploded into a fireball of sparks. I got onto IH10 heading to Lake Charles. I was going about 10 mph. No visibility. Debris flying thru the air. Fortunately for us, the Hurricane made a hard right turn and the winds died down by the time we got to Lake Charles.

Since then I have sheltered in my home for all the hurricanes since. During Rita, my neighbor and I spent hours outside brandishing our shotguns as we saw what I assumed were looters casing the neighborhood. We had never seen them before. One day I did see a small pickup drive past with a wide screen tv in the back. My wife and daughter wanted to leave. I would show them the freeway gridlock on the TXDOT cameras. I was also plotting the path of the hurricane and seeing that it was gradually curving to the east of us. But on every newscast they would report that it was coming straight for us.

On hurricane Allen, one sister evacuated towards Dallas. After 8 hours they found a room in Corsicana. My other sister went to Austin. They ended up with worse weather there due to tornadoes.

I got to go out in the eye of Hurricane Alicia. That was kinda eerie, but it was nice to get outside with no wind or rain.

Online libertybele

« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2018, 12:57:22 am »
Live in SWFL and there is only one major corridor out - I-75 north or to the south.  That's pretty much it.  East and West we have 'Alligator Alley' ... that's it.  People have been stuck in traffic and have run out of gas.  One really has to leave a couple of days ahead of time to battle the traffic and even at that roads are jammed. 

We did not evacuate for Charley as the hurricane trackers and weathermen predicted that it was going to hit way north around Tampa and in the last half hour before it hit, we found out it was heading right for us.  So ... very difficult to prepare.  Evacuations weren't even ordered, we were told to stay put.

The hurricanes this year and last year were monsters.  Irma encompassed the whole state.  The I-75 corridor was a disaster and people ran out of gas, hotels were booked all the way up into the Carolina and surrounding states -- we escaped (or thought) to the east coast only to get hit worse over there.  Luckily, we brought gas with us or we would have been stranded.

Fact -- you can't always make it out of FL in 10 hours. It all depends on the size of the hurricane and how fast its moving.  They are unpredictable most of the time.  Lately,  the storms are so darn enormous and strong that it's pretty obvious where they are headed.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2018, 01:01:50 am »
I was hoping this one wouldn't be bad.  Raining in NC.  We were visiting family in LA, when Audrey hit.  Dad decided to drive home.  We drove through with telephone poles and pine trees flying overhead, power lines down on the road and the wind forcing rain into the car,  every time we would seek shelter the roof would fly off the the building we were approaching.  So we just kept driving.  I have no wish to experience another hurricane!

Any word on the storm surge?
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2018, 01:29:15 am »
Live in SWFL and there is only one major corridor out - I-75 north or to the south.  That's pretty much it.  East and West we have 'Alligator Alley' ... that's it.  People have been stuck in traffic and have run out of gas.  One really has to leave a couple of days ahead of time to battle the traffic and even at that roads are jammed. 

We did not evacuate for Charley as the hurricane trackers and weathermen predicted that it was going to hit way north around Tampa and in the last half hour before it hit, we found out it was heading right for us.  So ... very difficult to prepare.  Evacuations weren't even ordered, we were told to stay put.

The hurricanes this year and last year were monsters.  Irma encompassed the whole state.  The I-75 corridor was a disaster and people ran out of gas, hotels were booked all the way up into the Carolina and surrounding states -- we escaped (or thought) to the east coast only to get hit worse over there.  Luckily, we brought gas with us or we would have been stranded.

Fact -- you can't always make it out of FL in 10 hours. It all depends on the size of the hurricane and how fast its moving.  They are unpredictable most of the time.  Lately,  the storms are so darn enormous and strong that it's pretty obvious where they are headed.

I got out of the way of Irma just fine.  Took me an hour longer than normal to get to JAX, but no big deal.  You can make it out of FL in 10 hours, easy, if you don't wait until the last minute.  It's not like we only have a week or so to prepare.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2018, 01:36:17 am »
McCain and Flake happen there. 'Nuff said.

"Man-made disasters."  Like a terrorist attack, but it hurts the whole country.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #106 on: October 11, 2018, 01:45:55 am »
I got out of the way of Irma just fine.  Took me an hour longer than normal to get to JAX, but no big deal.  You can make it out of FL in 10 hours, easy, if you don't wait until the last minute.  It's not like we only have a week or so to prepare.

You had reservations at a place that you knew would be out of the way of Irma a week ahead of time?  That's pretty damn impressive.  What's more impressive is that you have enough time off of work to leave town for a week or more every time a hurricane comes through.  Wait a minute, did you retire to Florida from up north?

Oh hey, Hurricane Leslie is out in the Atlantic.  I hope you're packing up and hitting the road tomorrow to beat the evac crowd.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #107 on: October 11, 2018, 01:52:31 am »
And in Charlotte...

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2018, 02:08:30 am »
I got to go out in the eye of Hurricane Alicia. That was kinda eerie, but it was nice to get outside with no wind or rain.

When I was growing up, it was always a given that we were leaving. Mother's rule. And it sure saved our behinds in Carla. As I became an adult and was able to make my own choices, I stayed for a couple (not direct hits that I can remember) without any consequence. Alicia is when I began to change my mind. I wasn't planning to leave, but I did just to ease my frantic mother's mind. It was scary where we went (Waller) with all the big trees around us. Driving home was unsettling, making us wonder all the more what was waiting for us. When they brought me back to my place, I realized my decision to leave probably saved my life. The apartment where I lived was hit by a small twister, and all kinds of debris (roof, ceiling, framing) fell in my bedroom and on my bed. The people in the apartment office were so glad to see me. They told me about checking out my apartment and fearing the worst when they saw all the debris on my bed. They were scared they'd find my dog and me dead underneath all of it.

In Rita, I went to my cousin's in North Texas. Timing is everything. The trip that usually took 5 hours actually took almost 6, but I was still at her house in time to watch the nightmare unfolding on I-45. Had I waited 20 extra minutes, I would have been stuck in that mess.

Left in Ike. Went to my friend's in northwest Houston. Turned out her neighborhood was torn up worse than mine, but living right on the coast, I wasn't willing to take any chances. I had no trouble getting back in. Good friends in Galveston were completely devastated. Lost a former co-worker on Bolivar Peninsula.

Harvey. What a storm. I didn't leave because it was going to go in farther down the coast. Then it did a strange move due to all the unusual atmospheric conditions in play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGmAMW4MqFI Actually, I was in a sweet spot as my house is on the highest part of the street. I was a little nervous about my trees and got them thinned out right after the storm. Had the rain been as bad here as it was in Dickinson or Nederland or most of Houston, I don't know if I would have fared as well.

The deal with hurricanes is that you never know. You can't know them. They're capricious. Far too many variables. This much I know. There's no possession in my house that's worth my life. If looters show up, they'll probably be disappointed. And I won't have the pleasure of planting some buckshot in their lawless asses. But I'll live another day, and that's what counts most to me. And my dog.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2018, 02:29:29 am »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2018, 02:34:50 am »
My nephew is stationed at Tyndall Air base and he evacuated home to my sister’s house.  We have seen the devastation in Panama City, which is right across the bridge, so his family is worried about how their home on base has fared. The only news my nephew has gotten is to not return to base because there is significant damage.  I’m just happy his family is safe with us.
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2018, 03:08:26 am »
You had reservations at a place that you knew would be out of the way of Irma a week ahead of time?  That's pretty damn impressive.  What's more impressive is that you have enough time off of work to leave town for a week or more every time a hurricane comes through.  Wait a minute, did you retire to Florida from up north?

Oh hey, Hurricane Leslie is out in the Atlantic.  I hope you're packing up and hitting the road tomorrow to beat the evac crowd.

I filled up my gas cans and began making minor preparations about a week ahead of Irma.  By the time it was clear the beach was heading my way, I was ready to go.  I left Sat about noon, which was probably a few hours later than I should have.  My "plan" was simply to get to around I-10 before "everyone else" so that I'd have options.  Ended up visiting some friends in VA for a few days.  Irma hit Mon, and I was home again Wed.

Didn't retire to FL, I was about dead broke when I got here.  But yeah, since then I've put myself in a position where I can get away if I need to, anything else would be grossly irresponsible. 

Not real worried about Leslie.  I mean, if she wasn't a couple thousand miles away and wasn't heading in the opposite direction, sure, maybe I'd consider topping off the gas cans before the weekend.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2018, 03:54:28 am »
Nadine may be a different matter....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2018, 04:17:06 am »
Well shit.  This was an interesting day.  Don't want to do this again any time soon!.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2018, 04:17:43 am »
Well shit.  This was an interesting day.  Don't want to do this again any time soon!.

Glad you made it through.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2018, 04:19:44 am »
Glad you made it through.

:beer:  Just got power back.  A/C rules.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2018, 04:21:38 am »

:beer:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #117 on: October 11, 2018, 04:25:12 am »
:beer:

Dodged a damn bullet.  Glad I was on the west side of the land fall.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #118 on: October 11, 2018, 04:27:05 am »

Why didn't you just open the windows? I read that there was a pretty good breeze going down there.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #119 on: October 11, 2018, 04:29:57 am »
Why didn't you just open the windows? I read that there was a pretty good breeze going down there.

Okay.  Now that was funny.    Not 6 hours ago   but now it is funny!.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #120 on: October 11, 2018, 04:30:00 am »

Yeah, that no A/C thing turns me into a supermegabitch real quick.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2018, 04:32:32 am »
Dodged a damn bullet.  Glad I was on the west side of the land fall.

Yeah, I saw that.  East of the eye was a disaster.  I figured you got a bunch of wind and rain, but no 155 MPH winds and buildings flying past.  Miss slippy was telling me about a train that got blown off the track.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2018, 04:32:53 am »
Yeah, that no A/C thing turns me into a supermegabitch real quick.

So, you are saying hurricane or no hurricane you pretty much are .....  well you know! wink777

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2018, 04:33:55 am »
So, you are saying hurricane or no hurricane you pretty much are .....  well you know! wink777

Hot?  Yes.  Yes I am.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2018, 04:35:25 am »
Yeah, I saw that.  East of the eye was a disaster.  I figured you got a bunch of wind and rain, but no 155 MPH winds and buildings flying past.  Miss slippy was telling me about a train that got blown off the track.

I go to bed last night and it is a Cat 2.   Wake up it is a damn 4 and probably will be revised to a Cat 5.  WTF is that?