Author Topic: The Coming Storm Over the Supreme Court  (Read 388 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Coming Storm Over the Supreme Court
« on: October 08, 2018, 03:27:29 pm »
NY Times By Barry Friedman 10/8/2018

If it swings too far to the right, expect a response.

In 1937, President Franklin Roosevelt went after the Supreme Court. He was infuriated that a conservative majority of justices kept striking down New Deal measures he felt were essential to pull the country out of the Great Depression. So, fresh from his overwhelming second-term electoral victory, Roosevelt proposed adding as many as six additional justices to the nation’s highest bench.

Filling those new vacancies would give him a clear majority on the court, presumably ensuring his future legislative proposals would be upheld. Roosevelt’s “court-packing” plan cast the country into six months of furious debate over the propriety of such a move. In the end the plan evaporated, but not before the court capitulated. Roosevelt’s proposal set off a genuine constitutional crisis, with little else on the national agenda getting any attention.

Why should we care about what happened some 80 years ago?

Because with the appointment of Brett Kavanaugh, an extremely conservative majority now is fully in control of the court, which, at some point in the future — perhaps five or 10 years from now — could lead to another crisis much like the one in 1937.

Anyone watching the deeply troubled, and troubling, confirmation process for Justice Kavanaugh surely understands the depth of anger on the left, which is unlikely to dissipate anytime soon. If the country moves left in the next few years, as the court moves right, we have the makings for a serious collision.

More: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/08/opinion/kavanaugh-supreme-court-conservative.html

Offline roamer_1

Re: The Coming Storm Over the Supreme Court
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 03:40:55 pm »
Anyone watching the deeply troubled, and troubling, confirmation process for Justice Kavanaugh surely understands the depth of anger on the left, which is unlikely to dissipate anytime soon. If the country moves left in the next few years, as the court moves right, we have the makings for a serious collision.

Why is it that it is not equally troubling when the court is in the hands of the liberal left?
When the country is moving right as the court moves left, is that not just as serious?

And what then the remedy?

Meh.

The whole purpose of the court being a lifetime appointment is to prevent it from being a political tool... To provide a sense of stability. A court that shifts with political winds is hardly an advantage to anyone.

If it is indeed the case that this court is now an 'extremely conservative majority' (which is highly unlikely), then liberals will have to put up with the very same disenfranchisement that Conservatives have experienced for decades, and it is simply their turn in the barrel.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 12:36:27 am »
The NYT?
C'mon.
I'm not gonna waste my time reading this.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 12:38:02 am »
The NYT?
C'mon.
I'm not gonna waste my time reading this.

I'm with you @Fishrrman !
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien