Author Topic: Portrait of a female GOP voter who could hand the House majority to the Democrats  (Read 1609 times)

Online rustynail

Repeal 19.

Offline Applewood

A couple of Republicans I know have said they are voting Democrat -- not necessarily because of Trump -- but rather, they are disgusted with the Republican lies and broken promises.  In their view, at least the Democrats have been up front about what direction they want to take this country, whereas they can't be sure that the Republicans might want the same thing even though they say they don't. 

Now I haven't spoken to these Republicans since the Kavanaugh controversy.  After witnessing that version of the Spanish Inquisition, they may have changed their minds.  I think though that the Republican Party should in a way be grateful to the Democrats because thanks to their despicable behavior during the confirmation process, the Republicans might have won over some voters who were planning to stay home in November.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
A couple of Republicans I know have said they are voting Democrat -- not necessarily because of Trump -- but rather, they are disgusted with the Republican lies and broken promises.  In their view, at least the Democrats have been up front about what direction they want to take this country, whereas they can't be sure that the Republicans might want the same thing even though they say they don't. 

Now I haven't spoken to these Republicans since the Kavanaugh controversy.  After witnessing that version of the Spanish Inquisition, they may have changed their minds.  I think though that the Republican Party should in a way be grateful to the Democrats because thanks to their despicable behavior during the confirmation process, the Republicans might have won over some voters who were planning to stay home in November.

That's a mentality I don't understand. 'Well the GOP promised to cut this tree down in my yard but didn't do it, so I'm going to hire the Dems who are going to take the ax to my head and burn my house down instead.'

How about just not vote at all, than hand matches to the arsonist?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
That's a mentality I don't understand. 'Well the GOP promised to cut this tree down in my yard but didn't do it, so I'm going to hire the Dems who are going to take the ax to my head and burn my house down instead.'

How about just not vote at all, than hand matches to the arsonist?

Yep, I agree with that.  Very seldom do we get the option of clear-cut, binary choices.  It's usually Okay, Bad and Worse.  I know Okay is a bit fickle and frequently doesn't deliver, but to choose Bad or Worse over Okay makes no sense whatsoever.

Offline Applewood

@Free Vulcan
@Sanguine

Apparently, this move to vote Democrat was somewhere on social media and the Republicans I know had signed some online pledge.  I understand their frustration with the Republican Party to some degree. The party as a whole had moved left and in many respects has become the same tax and spend, big government party as the Democrats.  Where I draw the line is in voting Democrat out of spite.  I could never vote for communism. 

I had planned to stay home in November, but there is a local referendum on the ballot to which I am adamantly opposed.  So then I thought I would skip over the races and just vote on the referendum.  Now I'm not so sure what I want to do. 

The Republicans mostly redeemed themselves in this Kavanaugh mess, but I still believe that now Justice Kavanaugh has taken his seat on SCOTUS, the Repubs will revert to the same mealy mouthed bunch of liars, poseurs and wimps.    I'd like to think with the Kavanaugh mess the party finally grew a pair, but I just don't trust them.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Free Vulcan
@Sanguine

Apparently, this move to vote Democrat was somewhere on social media and the Republicans I know had signed some online pledge.  I understand their frustration with the Republican Party to some degree. The party as a whole had moved left and in many respects has become the same tax and spend, big government party as the Democrats.  Where I draw the line is in voting Democrat out of spite.  I could never vote for communism. 

I had planned to stay home in November, but there is a local referendum on the ballot to which I am adamantly opposed.  So then I thought I would skip over the races and just vote on the referendum.  Now I'm not so sure what I want to do. 

The Republicans mostly redeemed themselves in this Kavanaugh mess, but I still believe that now Justice Kavanaugh has taken his seat on SCOTUS, the Repubs will revert to the same mealy mouthed bunch of liars, poseurs and wimps.    I'd like to think with the Kavanaugh mess the party finally grew a pair, but I just don't trust them.

Believe me, I hear you.  But, we have what we have, not necessarily what we want.  And, how we deal with what we have is ....well, maybe the point of our existence.

Offline dfwgator

@Free Vulcan
@Sanguine

That's where we come in,  if we get off our butts and hand the Republicans a victory in November, they'll get the message from the electorate that they are on the right path.   If they lose, then it will go back to "Business as Usual".

It's up to us!

Offline aligncare

Offline jpsb

I say horseshit.  No 'fiscally conservative', 'socially libertarian', and 'predisposed toward the Second Amendment' person is going to go knocking on doors to push for a liberal Democrat, no matter how much she hates Trump.

Now if she was doing it for a third party, I might believe it.

:thumbsup:

Offline Applewood

That's where we come in,  if we get off our butts and hand the Republicans a victory in November, they'll get the message from the electorate that they are on the right path.   If they lose, then it will go back to "Business as Usual".

It's up to us!

But see -- the Repubs were handed a big victory in 2016 which left them with the Presidency plus both houses of congress.  What have they done with all that power?  Not much. 

Offline dfwgator

But see -- the Repubs were handed a big victory in 2016 which left them with the Presidency plus both houses of congress.  What have they done with all that power?  Not much.

So what's the alternative?

Offline thackney

Another opinion:

Democrats have unleashed a red wave of Brett Kavanaugh-believing women voters
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,335597.msg1815612.html#msg1815612
Life is fragile, handle with prayer