Author Topic: Why I’m Leaving the Republican Party  (Read 883 times)

Silver Pines

Why I’m Leaving the Republican Party
« on: October 08, 2018, 07:34:08 pm »

Why I’m Leaving the Republican Party

The Kavanaugh confirmation fight revealed the GOP to be the party of situational ethics and moral relativism in the name of winning at all costs.

By Tom Nichols
10/07/18

Unlike Senator Susan Collins, who took pages upon pages of text on national television to tell us something we already knew, I will cut right to the chase: I am out of the Republican Party.

I will also acknowledge right away what I assume will be the reaction of most of the remaining members of the GOP, ranging from “Good riddance” to “You were never a real Republican,” along with a smattering of “Who are you, anyway?”

Those Republicans will have a point. I am not a prominent Republican nor do I play a major role in Republican politics. What I write here are my views alone. I joined the party in the twilight of Jimmy Carter’s administration, cut my teeth in politics as an aide to a working-class Catholic Democrat in the Massachusetts House, and later served for a year on the personal staff of a senior Republican U.S. senator. Not exactly the profile of a conservative warrior.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/tom-nichols-why-im-leaving-republican-party/572419/

Silver Pines

Re: Why I’m Leaving the Republican Party
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 07:37:30 pm »
The other day I mentioned Tom Nichols as an example of NeverTrumpism that has passed into insanity.  Then I saw this.

"I have written on social media and elsewhere how I feel about Kavanaugh’s nomination. I initially viewed his nomination positively, as a standard GOP judicial appointment; then grew concerned about whether he should continue on as a nominee with the accusations against him; and finally, was appalled by his behavior in front of the Senate."

So Kavanaugh is what prompted him to quit the GOP?

He says he'll be an independent who votes for Republicans and Democrats.  Interesting, because he's been on a crusade for a long time on Twitter, encouraging Repubs to vote Dem.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 07:40:12 pm »
This reminds me of  a TOS opus, and I'm not sure why we are supposed to care about this guy's political decisions.

On election day this year, I will cast a vote for a Democrat running for our county commission because he's a much better candidate than the whackjob running as the Republican. I don't feel the need to publish an article about how it makes me a newly-minted Independent.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 07:45:56 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 07:43:09 pm »
That pansy ass has serious issues.  The least of which is his choice of political party. Grow a pair dude.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online rustynail

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 07:43:45 pm »
"he'll be an independent who votes for Republicans and Democrats"
But not in primaries.

Online dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 07:45:01 pm »
Sounds like the typical caller to C-SPAN who starts out their call with "I'm a life-long Republican, but....."

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 07:45:02 pm »
Atlantic's readership leans liberal, that is whom this is aimed at.

Though, if one reads comments, some do defend conservative values. It's all on the web, so who knows how much that is worth.

Atlantic does run some respectable articles.

Silver Pines

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 07:54:31 pm »
This reminds me of  a TOS opus, and I'm not sure why we are supposed to care about this guy's political decisions.

On election day this year, I will cast a vote for a Democrat running for our county commission because he's a much better candidate than the whackjob running as the Republican. I don't feel the need to publish an article about how it makes me a newly-minted Independent.

@mountaineer

Nichols is a self-impressed gasbag.  He's so puffed up he should be on a Japanese dinner plate with a poison warning.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 07:56:25 pm »
 888high58888

Silver Pines

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 07:56:38 pm »
That pansy ass has serious issues.  The least of which is his choice of political party. Grow a pair dude.

@TheGhost

Kavanaugh's self-defense was just too scary.

Silver Pines

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 07:57:07 pm »
Sounds like the typical caller to C-SPAN who starts out their call with "I'm a life-long Republican, but....."

@dfwgator

Uh-huh, and that butt is huge

I really did mean to type "but."   :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 07:57:43 pm by CatherineofAragon »

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 07:57:53 pm »
@TheGhost

Kavanaugh's self-defense was just too scary.

LOL...The boy needs a safe space!   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Silver Pines

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 08:00:53 pm »
Nichols is a self-impressed gasbag.  He's so puffed up he should be on a Japanese dinner plate with a poison warning.

888high58888

Good one! and AMEN!

Obviously his reasons for leaving the GOP are because it is not Liberal/Left enough for him.

Which makes him a Liberal ass Democrat at best and a wannabe Marxist at worst.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Silver Pines

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 08:03:37 pm »
LOL...The boy needs a safe space!

@TheGhost

Silver Pines

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2018, 08:04:39 pm »
888high58888

Good one! and AMEN!

Obviously his reasons for leaving the GOP are because it is not Liberal/Left enough for him.

Which makes him a Liberal ass Democrat at best and a wannabe Marxist at worst.

@INVAR

Thanks, Invar!  He's the enemy within, for sure.

Offline endicom

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 08:27:14 pm »
He says he'll be an independent who votes for Republicans and Democrats.  Interesting, because he's been on a crusade for a long time on Twitter, encouraging Repubs to vote Dem.

Then he's more FOS than a lost lamb.

Silver Pines

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2018, 08:48:11 pm »

Then he's more FOS than a lost lamb.

@endicom

Yep, he's lying through his teeth in his article.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2018, 09:56:38 pm »
Maybe he's unaware that voters can cast their votes however they want.  We don't have to declare our party loyalty at the door,  nor do we have to vote straight ticket.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 10:05:11 pm »
Maybe he's unaware that voters can cast their votes however they want.  We don't have to declare our party loyalty at the door,  nor do we have to vote straight ticket.

That ain't right - I am not even a Republican and I am still treated as a traitor for not pulling the lever for the big rhinestone 'R'.  That assumed obligation is precisely why I am a Republican no more - Not that it helped a single whit.