Author Topic: Post-Kavanaugh Predictions By Matthew Continetti  (Read 592 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Post-Kavanaugh Predictions By Matthew Continetti
« on: October 06, 2018, 02:12:30 pm »
   Post-Kavanaugh Predictions
By Matthew Continetti

October 5, 2018 11:44 AM

The judicial wars are just getting started.

When President George W. Bush nominated John Roberts for the Supreme Court in 2005, the judge was confirmed by a vote of 78–22. Half of the Democrats voted with all of the Republicans in a display of bipartisan advice and consent. It was a touching moment of comity and civility — the sort of thing lauded in the abstract by Washington elites at the recent funeral of John McCain. It didn’t last six months.

Early in 2006, Samuel Alito was confirmed by a vote of 58–42. When the next Republican president made his first Supreme Court pick in 2017, Neil Gorsuch was confirmed by a vote of 54 to 45. As I write, the maximum number of votes Brett Kavanaugh can receive is 52 (all of the Senate Republicans plus Joe Manchin). That would put him in a tie with Clarence Thomas, who received the lowest support for a justice of the Supreme Court in postwar history. It is possible Kavanaugh could set a new record.

Why the narrowing margin? Not because W. and Donald Trump nominated unqualified candidates. With the exception of Harriet Miers, withdrawn before a hearing was convened, their nominees have been eminently qualified. Nor is it entirely because of scandal. True, Anita Hill may have put a ceiling on Thomas’s support. But Kavanaugh was on his way to a narrow confirmation even without the last-minute uncorroborated accusation from Christine Blasey Ford.

The reason for these increasingly hard-fought and closely decided Supreme Court battles is that the last four nominees have been originalists and textualists who threaten the progressive doctrine of the Living Constitution. The Left’s hold over the Supreme Court is under threat. The Democratic party and its affiliated interest groups, always eager to appease foreign adversaries, have in this case responded with force. They understand that the Supreme Court effectively rules the country. Any restoration of constitutionalism and of the separation of powers depends on control of the Court.

more
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/10/brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court-future/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Post-Kavanaugh Predictions By Matthew Continetti
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 04:35:36 pm »
The reason for these increasingly hard-fought and closely decided Supreme Court battles is that the last four nominees have been originalists and textualists who threaten the progressive doctrine of the Living Constitution.

A quibble:  This is the second time I read this today, and I have to point out two of the last four nominees were Sotomayor and Kagan.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 08:18:39 pm »
A quibble:  This is the second time I read this today, and I have to point out two of the last four nominees were Sotomayor and Kagan.
Yes, caught that.  I know he means the last four nominated by Republican Presidents and did not mean to include the last two liberal women who made it there.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 08:37:10 pm »
Yes, caught that.  I know he means the last four nominated by Republican Presidents and did not mean to include the last two liberal women who made it there.

Now it's the last four nominated by Republican Presidents confirmed
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 08:41:43 pm »
Now it's the last four nominated by Republican Presidents confirmed.
Well, other nominations were not voted on, and the author was describing those voted on in the Senate chamber.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Absalom

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 09:08:16 pm »
So SCOTUS effectively rules our nation/state?
If so, it's because of congressional abdication.
Ironically, judicial review is not mentioned in
the Constitution.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 09:18:30 pm »
Well, other nominations were not voted on, and the author was describing those voted on in the Senate chamber.

Who wasn't voted on?
I will NOT comply.

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 10:30:41 pm »
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 10:32:36 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 10:53:39 pm »
Garland and Myers

I forgot.

:mauslaff:

I've been watching MSNBC.  Their tears are delicious.
I will NOT comply.

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 11:09:03 pm »
I forgot.

:mauslaff:

I've been watching MSNBC.  Their tears are delicious.
I cannot stand to turn that on