Author Topic: Murkowski says she opposes Kavanaugh's nomination, but will vote 'present'  (Read 894 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Murkowski says she opposes Kavanaugh's nomination, but will vote 'present'
By Jordain Carney - 10/05/18 08:14 PM EDT

Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) said Friday evening that she opposed Brett Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court nomination, becoming the only Republican senator to come out against President Trump's nominee.

"I will be a no tomorrow," Murkowski said in a speech on the Senate floor after describing how she had come to lean against voting to confirm Trump's second nominee to the high court in a final vote on Saturday.

But Murkowski said that in the final tally she would ask that her vote be recorded as "present," saying she was doing it as a courtesy to Sen. Steve Daines (R-Mont.), who is slated to attend his daughter's wedding back home on Saturday.

"I do this because a friend, a colleague of ours is in Montana this evening and ... he's going to be walking his daughter down the aisle and he won't be present to vote," Murkowski said. "I have extended this as a courtesy to my friend. It will not change the outcome of the vote."

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/409887-murkowski-to-vote-no-on-kavanaugh
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Present isn't no!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline corbe

Now we know how much it cost to keep your Committee assignments in McConnell dollar$.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
   Now we know how much it cost to keep your Committee assignments in McConnell dollar$.

I doubt seriously if McConnell is in any mood to give her any plum assignments.  This cost her nothing and gained us nothing.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline corbe

I could be wrong @Emjay but I doubt McConnell lifted one dam finger to help Joe Miller survive against the M.U.R.K.O.W.S.K.I write in effort, similar to what he did to McDaniel in MS.

He's a snake and I know that Grahmn and now Collins are redeemed in some eyes but they will turn on you again.
   iMHO, there are very few people in all of Gov that I trust at all.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
No deal.  Anything less than 51 votes won't do.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Hoodat

No deal.  Anything less than 51 votes won't do.

If Daines and Murkowski sit out, the final tally will be 50-48.  That's a win.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
If Daines and Murkowski sit out, the final tally will be 50-48.  That's a win.

It is to us, but the Democrats will have a shit-fit and use it as an excuse to impeach him.  The press will gobble it up. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

But Murkowski said that in the final tally she would ask that her vote be recorded as "present," saying she was doing it as a courtesy to Sen. Steve Daines (R-Mont.), who is slated to attend his daughter's wedding back home on Saturday.

"I do this because a friend, a colleague of ours is in Montana this evening and ... he's going to be walking his daughter down the aisle and he won't be present to vote," Murkowski said. "I have extended this as a courtesy to my friend. It will not change the outcome of the vote."

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/409887-murkowski-to-vote-no-on-kavanaugh

What a politically cowardly thing to do.  Alaska can't do any better than this?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Night Hides Not

What a politically cowardly thing to do.  Alaska can't do any better than this?

Unfortunately, I think Sarah Palin is just blowing smoke about 2022.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Applewood

Re: Murkowski says she opposes Kavanaugh's nomination, but will vote 'present'
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 12:12:16 pm »
Present?  Is Lisa an Obama fan?  His whole senate career consisted of voting "Present."   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 03:27:55 pm »

I'm afraid you're right.  Didn't she just move from her house in Wasilla?
I will NOT comply.

Offline verga

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 03:35:07 pm »
BKMK
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 03:47:21 pm »

In any case, I think we have already hit our quota of reality TV stars in office.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 07:31:29 pm »
Lisa Murkowski sits on the following committees:
Chair, Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources. Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Energy. ...
Senate Committee on Appropriations. ...
Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions. ...
Senate Committee on Indian Affairs.

This needs to be revised to: Lisa Murkowski once sat on the following committees................................. now she sits alone contemplating her duplicity.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 07:49:05 pm »
Lisa Murkowski sianyts on the following committees:
Chair, Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources. Ex Officio, Subcommittee on Energy. ...
Senate Committee on Appropriations. ...
Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions. ...
Senate Committee on Indian Affairs.

This needs to be revised to: Lisa Murkowski once sat on the following committees................................. now she sits alone contemplating her duplicity.

In all seriousness, you wait until after the results of midterms to do this.  It is possible that we end up 50-50, in which case critical issues like who is majority leader, and the composition of committees, may hang in the balance.  If that is the case, then you don't want to give Murkowski any additional incentive to switch parties and make Schumer the Majority Leader.  It is possible she does that anyway, but there's no value in giving her a push in that direction.