Author Topic: Senate Has the Votes for Cloture: Murkowski, No, Collins, Manchin, Flake Vote Yes  (Read 1205 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 03:01:48 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline SirLinksALot

West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin, a vulnerable Democrat up for re-election this year has voted yes.

Offline SirLinksALot

Senator Susan Collins has voted yes on cloture as she said she would.

Offline SirLinksALot

Senator Jeff Flake of Arizona, one of the undecided senators, has voted yes.

Offline ConstitutionRose

I am happy to hear this.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Murkowski- unbelievable. 9999hair out0000
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline SirLinksALot

Murkowski is an Alaska Republican who is pro-abortion rights and has had concerns about Kavanaugh views on tribal rights.

Offline dfwgator

Murkowski basically announced that she is now a Democrat.

I expect it to become official after the midterms.

Offline verga

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline aligncare

She knows she won’t get re-elected so she’s angling for a cushy lobbyist position with the resistance after she loses her race.

She is one first-class, top quality, prime POS.

Offline dfwgator

She knows she won’t get re-elected so she’s angling for a cushy lobbyist position with the resistance after she loses her race.

She is one first-class, top quality, prime POS.

She still has 4 years left.  If she turns Rat, as I think she would, they'll easily nominate her next time.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Did you know there is still an NPR?  It's the only station my radio will pick up, and they were just lauding Murkowski for her independence and praising her for getting elected as a write-in.

Tell me we're not still funding that sorry piece of pig droppings.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline cato potatoe

Ain't nepotism swell?  Alaska still leans right, and we do have some time to locate a challenger for 2022. 

I will have some newfound respect for Manchin if he's the only donkey to come over.  The DNCC probably threatened to pull his funding.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 03:34:05 pm by cato potatoe »

Offline austingirl

She still has 4 years left.  If she turns Rat, as I think she would, they'll easily nominate her next time.

Nominate her for what? President?

Offline dfwgator

Nominate her for what? President?

Senate.  Democrats voted for her overwhelmingly last time over the Rat candidate.

Offline austingirl

Senate.  Democrats voted for her overwhelmingly last time over the Rat candidate.

I hadn't known that. What a damn shame. Can the Republicans strip her of any committee assignments, cut her office budget?

Offline cato potatoe

I hadn't known that. What a damn shame. Can the Republicans strip her of any committee assignments, cut her office budget?
The first thing I would do is put out a memo: If a meeting with Lisa is necessary, be sure there is a credible witness in the room.

Offline dfwgator

That's what Feinstein was talking to her about. Think about it?  What leverage could Feinstein have over Murkowski if Murkowski wasn't planning to jump ship?

Offline SirLinksALot

For those who don't remember what happened in the Senate race Alaska in 2010, here's a brief account:

The November general election in Alaska was preceded by primary elections which were held on August 24, 2010.

Scott McAdams, the Mayor of Sitka, became the Democratic Party nominee and Joe Miller, a conservative attorney and former federal magistrate, became the Republican nominee after defeating incumbent Senator Lisa Murkowski in the Republican primary. Miller was endorsed by the Tea Party movement and former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin.

Murkowski in defiance, announced that regardless of her defeat in the primary, she would run in the general election as a write-in candidate.

She is of course, the daughter of the well known Republican, Frank Murkowski, United States Senator from Alaska from 1981 until 2002 and the eighth Governor of Alaska from 2002 until 2006. She already had the name recognition.

Murkowski garnered more than 100,000 write-in votes in the general election, 8,000 of which were challenged by Miller for various errors including minor misspellings.

Even if the challenged votes were all thrown out, Murkowski still had a lead of over 2,100 votes when the counting was done.

I personally have never in my lifetime, seen somebody win as a write-in candidate.

This just shows you how Alaskans love the Murkowski dynasty.

Offline SirLinksALot

BTW, just because Susan Collins voted for cloture, it does not mean she'll vote for confirmation. She hasn't announce how she will vote during the confirmation scheduled for tomorrow.

Here is what I've observed about her -- she always plays hard-to-get but eventually votes with her fellow Republicans.

If Manchin and  Flake hold steady, we can dispense with her vote. Mike Pence can break the tie.

Offline dfwgator

BTW, just because Susan Collins voted for cloture, it does not mean she'll vote for confirmation. She hasn't announce how she will vote during the confirmation scheduled for tomorrow.

Here is what I've observed about her -- she always plays hard-to-get but eventually votes with her fellow Republicans.

If Manchin and  Flake hold steady, we can dispense with her vote. Mike Pence can break the tie.

I wonder if McConnell already knew how Murkowski was going to vote all along?

Offline dfwgator

This just shows you how Alaskans love the Murkowski dynasty.

Even Democrats, who voted for her over the Rat.  She can make the jump.  That's why McConnell has no leverage over her, like he does with Collins.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

That’s true.  Many years ago, I worked in a place where guys wanted to unionize.  They received enough votes to have the rep make his pitch, then cast our ballots.  It was overwhelmingly a ‘no’ on the ultimate decision to go union.  Kavanaugh will probably squeeze by, though.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 04:09:39 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rush said he is hearing Collins will announce she is voting NO tomorrow at 3pm
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline SirLinksALot

Rush said he is hearing Collins will announce she is voting NO tomorrow at 3pm

if so, then it all boils down to Manchin. If Manchin votes "Yes", All we need is Mike Pence to break the tie.