Author Topic: Lindsay Graham: If the Senate rejects Kavanaugh, renominate him and let the 'ballot box' decide  (Read 791 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/lindsey-graham-to-trump-if-the-senate-rejects-kavanaugh-renominate-him-and-let-the-ballot-box-decide

Lindsay Graham: If the Senate rejects Kavanaugh, renominate him and let the 'ballot box' decide
by Daniel Chaitin
October 01, 2018

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., advised President Trump to renominate Brett Kavanaugh as his pick to replace Anthony Kennedy on the Supreme Court if his confirmation crumbles in the Senate under a wave of sexual assault allegations.

Part two of this strategy would be to wait until the 2018 midterm elections to play out as a de facto referendum, particularly in "Trump states."

"Here's what I would tell the president, I would appeal the verdict of the Senate to the ballot box," Graham told host Sean Hannity in an interview Monday evening. Remembering lives lost: Four NASA disasters Watch Full Screen to Skip Ads

"This way the American people will have the last say, he emphasized," adding, "I’d ask voters in Indiana and Missouri and North Dakota and other places where Trump won saying who he would nominate if he got to be president and see if voters want to appeal the verdict of their senator."

More at URL above...

And...
Please see these two posts I put up last night:
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,334485.msg1809335.html#msg1809335

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,334485.msg1809373.html#msg1809373

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I did think about this same topic, if Kavanaugh is voted down, could he be nominated again? Question answered.

Offline endicom

Lindsey "Maximus" Graham. McCain must have relinquished the blackmail material when on his deathbed.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Sounds like a good strategy.  First, schedule a vote, up or down, before the midterms,  so that Heidkamp, Donnelly and Manchin are forced to take a position.  if Kav is confirmed, good.  If he's voted down,  re-nominate him for confirmation by a new Senate and pour funds into the Missouri, Indiana and West Virginia races to focus voters on the need to oppose thuggery and character assassination.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline SirLinksALot

Lindsey Graham Urges Trump To Renominate Brett Kavanaugh If Nomination Fails
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 08:55:46 pm »
SOURCE: THE HUFFINGTON POST

URL: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lindsey-graham-trump-renominate-brett-kavanaugh_us_5bb3af0ae4b0876eda98fb7b

by Jenna Amatulli

The GOP senator told Sean Hannity that the president should basically appeal any Senate “no” vote to the American people.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) released a statement on Tuesday calling on President Donald Trump to renominate alleged sexual abuser Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court should his current nomination fail.

Graham opened by sharing his admiration and empathy for Kavanaugh and his family, imploring other senators to “not quit on him,” before diving into the senator’s suggestion to the president.

“I believe Judge Kavanaugh will be confirmed to the Supreme Court very soon,” Graham said. “However, if his nomination were to fall short, I would encourage President Trump to re-nominate Judge Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court. It would ― in effect ― be appealing the Senate’s verdict directly to the American people.”

Graham also noted that the midterm elections are “only 35 days away” and “a new group of senators” might view Kavanaugh’s nomination “very differently after hearing from the voters in their states.”

The written statement from Graham followed his rhetoric Monday night on Fox News’ “Hannity.”

“Here’s what I would tell the president: I would appeal the verdict of the Senate to the ballot box,” the senator said on “Hannity.”

“This good man should not be destroyed. If you legitimize this process by one vote short, we’ll be on to the next person. I’d hate to be the next person nominated. I would feel horrible that we destroyed Kavanaugh....

(Excerpt) Read more at above link....

Offline SirLinksALot

Something happened to Lindsay Graham after his BFF McCain passed away -- he found his cojones !!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 09:14:58 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline Frank Cannon

I'm going to have a gun cleaning accident if he gets renominated. I don't think I can take anymore bullshit.

Just jam Mike Lee down their throats and make them choke on it.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Letting this poor guy get slandered in the press, and then not even get put on the Court, would be a tremendous injustice.  Graham is right.  If we lose the vote, but it is close and we pick up enough seats to change it, he absolutely should be renominated.

Offline endicom

Topics merged.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Maj. Bill wrote:
"Graham is right.  If we lose the vote, but it is close and we pick up enough seats to change it, he absolutely should be renominated."

There's no need to go through this.
There's a "better way":
a. Postpone the confirmation vote for now
b. Force a recess in the Senate
c. Mr. Trump can then recess-appoint Judge Kavanaugh to the Court.
d. Hold the confirmation as a first order of business in January -- a "straight up or down" vote, no further committees, discussions or "investigations". We will have a larger majority then, and Flake (the snake) will be gone. Collins and Murkowski will no longer matter.

When the democrat-communists go nuclear on you, go THERMOnuclear in return. Blast them outta their minds.
They're halfway there, anyway!

Can't anybody here play this game?

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
I'm going to have a gun cleaning accident if he gets renominated. I don't think I can take anymore bullshit.

Really make them choke.....  nominate Cruz.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

I agree.  Put Lee's name in and dare them to do to him what they've done to Kavanaugh.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Really make them choke.....  nominate Cruz.

I'm now thinking Cruz isn't as effective in the Senate as he could be on SCOTUS.  Might be the better place for him.

Offline Slide Rule

I'm now thinking Cruz isn't as effective in the Senate as he could be on SCOTUS.  Might be the better place for him.

I started talking about Cruz as a Supreme back during the election.

Cruz is a Constutionalist, would serve well in the Court.

His replacement in the Senate would also be a plus.

Not sure if he is young enough to suit.

:)

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
The beauty part of all this is that the Republicans have finally found an effective way to nationalize the midterm elections on their own terms.   It ought to be about the economy, stupid, but the Dems are determined to make it a referendum on Donald Trump (and bizarrely,  the President himself agrees). 

But instead the election is being nationalized on the issue of the Dems'  penchant for character assassination and the destruction of good people for mere political disagreement.   From springing lurid, uncorroborated tales from Judge Kavanaugh's teenage years to gunning Republican Congresssmen down at a softball game, the Dems and the crazies they inspire have weaponized political discourse in a way that is destructive to our Constitutional Republic.   

This is an issue it is easy to understand and get inspired (pissed off) about.  And the solution is to vote, and urge friends to vote, and spread the word about this creeping evil.     

I've been radicalized.  Have you?   

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher

I started talking about Cruz as a Supreme back during the election.

If we want a Scalia clone, Cruz would be what the Dr. ordered.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

I have long thought that.   But I nevertheless hope he can win re-election to the Senate. 

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
I have long thought that.   But I nevertheless hope he can win re-election to the Senate.

I think he will.  Still the thought of Cruz on the SCOTUS Bench for the next 30 years making liberal heads explode makes me smile.