Author Topic: In blow to Japan PM, son of U.S. Marine wins Okinawa governor vote  (Read 439 times)

rangerrebew

In blow to Japan PM, son of U.S. Marine wins Okinawa governor vote
Kiyoshi Takenaka, Linda Sieg

TOKYO (Reuters) - The son of a U.S. Marine and Japanese mother won an election for governor of Japan’s Okinawa island on Sunday on an anti-U.S military presence platform, defeating a candidate backed by the ruling bloc in a blow to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

Denny Tamaki, who was backed by opposition parties, soundly defeated Atsushi Sakima, who ran with the support of Abe’s Liberal Democratic Party and its junior coalition partner, the Komeito, official results showed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japan-okinawa-election/son-of-u-s-marine-elected-okinawa-governor-on-anti-u-s-base-platform-idUSKCN1MA0K6

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: In blow to Japan PM, son of U.S. Marine wins Okinawa governor vote
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 12:28:15 pm »
Sakima had focused on economic policies to spur Okinawa’s growth for Japan’s poorest prefecture during his campaign.

Yeah. Removing the base and making the island a place nobody has any reason to go to will really spur growth.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: In blow to Japan PM, son of U.S. Marine wins Okinawa governor vote
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 06:26:06 pm »
Sakima had focused on economic policies to spur Okinawa’s growth for Japan’s poorest prefecture during his campaign.

Yeah. Removing the base and making the island a place nobody has any reason to go to will really spur growth.
He may have won running on that platform, but I bet that just like in Germany, when it comes right down to it the majority will realize what real economic hardship it would be and just go back to grumbling about it instead of closing the base. Anyway wouldn't the larger Japanese government have something to say about it? I can't see a real Japanese referendum for a base closing be approved with the Chinese situation being what it is.