Author Topic: Report: Flake wasn’t pressured, he masterminded the Kavanaugh delay  (Read 1024 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Report: Flake wasn’t pressured, he masterminded the Kavanaugh delay

Posted by Fuzzy Slippers      Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 12:00pm

The “Flake-led rebellion” had “been building for nearly two weeks”

According to a report published by Politico, Senator Jeff Flake (R-AZ) chose to appear pressured when, in fact, he masterminded the latest Kavanaugh delay. His subsequent media statements about his motivations and his media appearances in light of this report suggest Flake’s true motivations are far less pure than he would have us believe.

Flake’s focus on optics, on his raw ambition (for 2020?), and on the kind of “swamp creature” political maneuvering surrounding this planned reversal paints for the American people a hideous and disturbing portrait of the Arizona senator.

On Friday, Flake told the Atlantic that he insisted on the seventh FBI investigation into Judge Brett Kavanaugh because he was trying to save two institutions, the Senate and the Supreme Court.  During this interview, he also explained that he was deeply moved by Chris Coons’ pleas and decided that it was up to him, Jeff Flake, to “bring a little unity,” to stop our country “coming apart on this.” A move that apparently brought Coons near tears.

To follow up on his preening media tour, Flake showed up on 60 Minutes with Coons in tow.  CBS is revealing parts of this interview leading up to its Sunday night airing.

more
https://legalinsurrection.com/2018/09/report-flake-wasnt-pressured-he-masterminded-the-kavanaugh-delay/

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline bilo

Flake is done in the Pub party if he votes against Kavanaugh.

The FBI won't find anything credible. Kavanaugh was investigated for the highest security clearance when he worked in the Bush WH.

Any Pub who votes against Kavanaugh will not get re-elected. They will be primaried and won't get conservative support in the general.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
The only consolation with respect to Flake is that the lefties will hate him for the "no more than one week" limitation.  Even if he subsequently insists it be broadened, they won't forget it.  Or his "yes" vote -- albeit conditional -- to send Kavanaugh to the floor with a positive recommendation.  And conservatives already hate the guy.

He's got no potential base of support except among the Yeb/Kasich type of NT'ers -- even the conservative NT'ers hate the guy.  I suppose he and Kasich may be under the delusion they can create some "unity of centrists" party, but that will fall on its big fat face.  So...I don't think Flake harbors much future political ambition.  I think he just wants to write a book or two, preach to his little centrist choir, and make some money.  Maybe get a subsequent appointment to some position in a Democrat Administration looking for a token "Republican".

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
The only consolation with respect to Flake is that the lefties will hate him for the "no more than one week" limitation.  Even if he subsequently insists it be broadened, they won't forget it.  Or his "yes" vote -- albeit conditional -- to send Kavanaugh to the floor with a positive recommendation.  And conservatives already hate the guy.

He's got no potential base of support except among the Yeb/Kasich type of NT'ers -- even the conservative NT'ers hate the guy.  I suppose he and Kasich may be under the delusion they can create some "unity of centrists" party, but that will fall on its big fat face.  So...I don't think Flake harbors much future political ambition.  I think he just wants to write a book or two, preach to his little centrist choir, and make some money.  Maybe get a subsequent appointment to some position in a Democrat Administration looking for a token "Republican".

Flake is in an awkward position.  The conservatives despise him and the liberals can't trust him.

Maybe he can hawk some haircare product on TV.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Just saw a Jeff Flake interview on Fox.  He says he doesn't want  SCOTUS to become partisan.  Does the f'n idiot not know how partisan it has been for most of the twentieth century?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

The FBI won't find anything credible. Kavanaugh was investigated for the highest security clearance when he worked in the Bush WH.

Any Pub who votes against Kavanaugh will not get re-elected. They will be primaried and won't get conservative support in the general.

Oh, but we independent conservatives will be told we have to vote Republican no matter what -- "to save us from the Democrats." 

Lesser of two evils, ya know.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Just saw a Jeff Flake interview on Fox.  He says he doesn't want  SCOTUS to become partisan.  Does the f'n idiot not know how partisan it has been for most of the twentieth century?

And all of the 21st.

Flake is one of those people who is more concerned with appearances than with reality.  He really doesn't care if the process is politicized.  He just doesn't want anyone to make an issue out of it and hurt the image of the Senate in eyes of the public.  Even if that "hurt image" is entirely truthful.

Lindsey Graham obviously cares about the image of the Senate as well, but he also cares about the reality.  That's why he's calling it out for this travesty, while Flake is just trying to sweep it under the rug.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 06:40:15 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
And all of the 21st.

Flake is one of those people who is more concerned with appearances than with reality.  He really doesn't care if the process is politicized.  He just doesn't want anyone to make an issue out of it and hurt the image of the Senate in eyes of the public.  Even if that "hurt image" is entirely truthful.

Lindsey Graham obviously cares about the image of the Senate as well, but he also cares about the reality.  That's why he's calling it out for this travesty, while Flake is just trying to sweep it under the rug.

The fact is that SCOTUS has been highly partisan since Soloman Chase was installed as Chief Justice in the 1860s.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mrclose

The fact is that SCOTUS has been highly partisan since Soloman Chase was installed as Chief Justice in the 1860s.

@Bigun

Had to go and look him up. :beer:

Ever wonder how "In God We Trust" ended up on our currency?
Give Chase the credit.
People naturally became a bit more conscious of religion during the Civil War, and by the end of 1861 they were inundating Secretary of the Treasury Chase to put some sort of acknowledgment of God on American currency.

Chase apparently felt adding a religious note to our cash was a good call, so he instructed the director of the Philadelphia Mint to come up with "a motto expressing in the fewest and tersest words possible this national recognition."
The Mint's staff suggested "Our Country, Our God" or "God, Our Trust."

Chase liked these ideas, but he changed one of them to "In God We Trust."
Congress approved the change in 1864, and "In God We Trust" has appeared intermittently on coins ever since.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/24750/5-things-you-didnt-know-about-salmon-chase
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

You're right. It's been partisan since the 50's if not early.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Report: Flake wasn’t pressured, he masterminded the Kavanaugh delay
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 09:05:32 pm »
bilo wrote:
"Flake is done in the Pub party if he votes against Kavanaugh..."

He's "done" in the party anyway, and he knows it.

Here's my not-so-fearless prediction:
Flake (the snake) will vote "present" when the roll is called later this week...

Offline bilo

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 09:26:49 pm »

I grow to dislike the Yeb/Kasich types more and more everyday. There is a time and place and hanging out to dry a highly qualified nominee isn't it. Besides, Kavanaugh's history is hardly that of a Trump "fan club member".

You're probably right that Flake knows he's done in the Pub party.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 09:33:30 pm »

One would think that the FBI report(s) submitted circa 2000 would contain at least ONE reference to his penchant to drink for the high it gave him.

If it doesn't, why should the FBI of 2018 go back beyond 2000?

What would that say about FBI background checks in general if, after 36 years, they're expected to find something they missed all these years?

BULLSHIT.

Secondly, Flake is retiring.  He's waiting for a white envelope from somebody, someplace.

And not just for 'services rendered', but for services expected.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 09:49:38 pm »
The real issue is, "Who are the Republican conservatives in Arizona who voted for this Liberal Democrat lunatic?" He is like spit in their face. They may as well have cast a vote for Pelosi, since he and she seem to agree on everything. BTW, f**k McCain. I hope he is in hell today, right now.

Thank God that MF is dead!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:50:39 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline bilo

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 09:50:30 pm »
One would think that the FBI report(s) submitted circa 2000 would contain at least ONE reference to his penchant to drink for the high it gave him.

If it doesn't, why should the FBI of 2018 go back beyond 2000?

What would that say about FBI background checks in general if, after 36 years, they're expected to find something they missed all these years?

BULLSHIT.

Secondly, Flake is retiring.  He's waiting for a white envelope from somebody, someplace.

And not just for 'services rendered', but for services expected.

And we aren't talking about a low level security clearance. He was approved at the highest level. If this was a guy with a drinking problem and penchant for attacking women they would have found it. We live in such a partisan time that the propagandists for the Rats won't report this.

Offline bilo

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 09:52:20 pm »
The real issue is, "Who are the Republican conservatives in Arizona who voted for this Liberal Democrat lunatic?" He is like spit in their face. They may as well have cast a vote for Pelosi, since he and she seem to agree on everything. BTW, f**k McCain. I hope he is in hell today, right now.

Thank God that MF is dead!

I feel your rage.

I had always thought of AZ as a conservative state, but it sure seems to be purple.