Author Topic: Dubai court charges man with stealing diamond worth $20 mln  (Read 408 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Dubai court charges man with stealing diamond worth $20 mln
« on: October 01, 2018, 10:00:44 am »
Dubai court charges man with stealing diamond worth $20 mln

A manager at the workplace was the one who reported the diamond missing after doing an inventory of the items kept in the company safe. (File photo: AFP)

Staff writer, Al Arabiya English Friday, 28 September 2018

A Sri Lankan security officer stood trial at the Dubai Court of First Instance after being charged with stealing a diamond worth $20 million (73.5 million AED).

Public prosecution records stated that the perpetrator stole the gem from his workplace at a freezone company near the Dubai International Airport, then headed to his friend’s house.

Read more at: https://english.alarabiya.net/en/variety/2018/09/27/Israeli-soldiers-depicted-on-billboards-in-Iran-causes-media-outrage.html

I guess that is the diamond in question. How finite is the supply of diamonds in the world? Interesting article.  I wonder if this is the kind of offense they would execute someone over in countries such as where this happened?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 10:01:35 am by TomSea »

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Re: Dubai court charges man with stealing diamond worth $20 mln
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 10:06:05 am »
I guess that is the diamond in question. How finite is the supply of diamonds in the world? Interesting article.  I wonder if this is the kind of offense they would execute someone over in countries such as where this happened?

I expect they will execute him, probably in public with a sharp object.

As for diamonds, the supply is intentionally kept low by diamond cartels to keep prices high.

However, with China in Botswana, we may see that change as they try to sell everything they can get their hands on.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline thackney

Re: Dubai court charges man with stealing diamond worth $20 mln
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 12:24:20 pm »
I expect they will execute him, probably in public with a sharp object.

As for diamonds, the supply is intentionally kept low by diamond cartels to keep prices high.

However, with China in Botswana, we may see that change as they try to sell everything they can get their hands on.

Death penalty is very rare in all of UAE including Dubai, about one person every other year.  Don't confuse them with Saudi Arabia.  They don't execute for theft.

Death Penalty Database, United Arab Emirates
https://www.deathpenaltyworldwide.org/country-search-post.cfm?country=United+Arab+Emirates
Life is fragile, handle with prayer