Author Topic: Graham defends Kavanaugh against criticism over temperament: He was 'rightly offended'  (Read 3775 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Graham defends Kavanaugh against criticism over temperament: He was 'rightly offended'
By Michael Burke - 09/30/18 09:38 AM EDT

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) on Sunday defended Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh against criticism that he was too angry in testimony last week on Capitol Hill, saying that Kavanaugh behaved like someone "who was innocent."

“I’m offended by the fact that anybody would hold it against Brett Kavanaugh to be upset by the way he was treated. Words were put in his mouth that he didn’t say," Graham said on ABC's "This Week."

“I find it offensive that if somebody defends themselves against wholesale character assassination, trying to destroy him and his family. The temperament I saw was a man who was innocent, who was rightly offended by being destroyed for a political purpose," Graham added later in the interview.

Graham also said he has a problem "with the people who did this to him, not how he responded."

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/409121-graham-defends-kavanaugh-against-temperament-criticism-he-was-rightly
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Yes, I've read commentary that he was too angry OR even, look how he attacked the Democrats! It's pretty easy to understand Kavanaugh's attitude, he came out swinging per Buchanan and that's what he had to do.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
He was justifiably angry at the ugly smears, attempted destruction of his career and threats against his family.

The Marie Harf is on Fox Media buzz making a fool of herself. "My feelings when I watched the hearings..." Yes, it's all about feelings. "What if it had been a woman testifying and she was angry and crying?" Really, feelings and then hypothetical feelings. What happened to thinking and analysis?
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline TomSea

He was justifiably angry at the ugly smears, attempted destruction of his career and threats against his family.

The Marie Harf is on Fox Media buzz making a fool of herself. "My feelings when I watched the hearings..." Yes, it's all about feelings. "What if it had been a woman testifying and she was angry and crying?" Really, feelings and then hypothetical feelings. What happened to thinking and analysis?

I saw that too. There is just plain partisanship on this. I can't see how people can see it any other way.

@austingirl

The other woman spoke up and said her remark was despicable. It all breaks down to party lines.

Kavanaugh is a big victim in all this.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

I was one that cringed when Brett got so angry he turned the question back to the woman Democrat.  Being a person who has lived with someone who battled Alcoholism basic traits are easy to spot.  Addiction is a dirty secret for millions of people.  An alcoholic is never honest about how much and they don't want to be called on whether they were doing it.  Being honest I have to say his reactions triggered questions in my mind.   Unfortunately nobody can change what people saw.  Many drinkers do get sexually forceful when drunk.  It was a critical line of questioning where he should have kept his cool.  Democrats knew exactly what they were doing.  The Democratic woman knew because as she stated her Father was an alcoholic. I think its unfortunate at that point of the hearing he lost it.  People cannot change their own life experiences.  Lindsey Graham is off on this.  Nobody is going to dictate what people saw in the testimony because we are all separate human beings with our own life experiences.

However I do not worry about this because he has been through several FBI investigations and there were no problems found obviously.  If Kavanaugh was still a heavy drinker (an alcoholic) I am sure it would have come out.  I would have to be honest and say if he was an alcoholic I would question whether he was the right person for the job.

Trumps own brother was an alcoholic. 

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/26/trump-brother-fred-alcoholic-244213
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 03:45:18 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
I posted on another thread the Leland, Ford's bestie is two years younger than her. Yet Ford placed Leland at the age of 13 at a drinking party with 17 year old boys. How likely is that? I  find it odd that her best friend is two years younger. When I was in high school, kids looked down on the younger ones. Very age conscious.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I was one that cringed when Brett got so angry he turned the question back to the woman Democrat.  Being a person who has lived with someone who battled Alcoholism basic traits are easy to spot.  Addiction is a dirty secret for millions of people.  An alcoholic is never honest about how much and they don't want to be called on whether they were doing it.  Being honest I have to say his reactions triggered questions in my mind.   Unfortunately nobody can change what people saw.  Many drinkers do get sexually forceful when drunk.  It was a critical line of questioning where he should have kept his cool.  Democrats knew exactly what they were doing.  The Democratic woman knew because as she stated her Father was an alcoholic. I think its unfortunate at that point of the hearing he lost it.  People cannot change their own life experiences.  Lindsey Graham is off on this.  Nobody is going to dictate what people saw in the testimony because we are all separate human beings with our own life experiences.

However I do not worry about this because he has been through several FBI investigations and there were no problems found obviously.  If Kavanaugh was still a heavy drinker (an alcoholic) I am sure it would have come out.  I would have to be honest and say if he was an alcoholic I would question whether he was the right person for the job.

Did you pay close enough attention to notice Kavanaugh apologized to Klobachar for that?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 03:53:09 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

I posted on another thread the Leland, Ford's bestie is two years younger than her. Yet Ford placed Leland at the age of 13 at a drinking party with 17 year old boys. How likely is that? I  find it odd that her best friend is two years younger. When I was in high school, kids looked down on the younger ones. Very age conscious.

Yes, I saw that observation, it seems a very good one.

So, we are to believe, this is a small get together, not a real "house party" from what I understand but what? About 7,8, 12 people there? We don't know... and 13 year olds drinking with 17 year olds? I have a niece who is 11 and she is somewhat wild at that but really, this is an extreme situation.

Offline TomSea

Graham in his great speech also added on how he voted for Sotomayor (or Kagan, unsure of which, he probably voted for both). Graham voted for them on merit.

Anyway, we really should get away from nominees (in general) who are basically elite, from Ivy League schools. That is as a general statement and I am sure there would be exceptions. Also, the court should reflect America more not have some segments of the population over-represented.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Graham in his great speech also added on how he voted for Sotomayor (or Kagan, unsure of which, he probably voted for both). Graham voted for them on merit.

Anyway, we really should get away from nominees (in general) who are basically elite, from Ivy League schools. That is as a general statement and I am sure there would be exceptions. Also, the court should reflect America more not have some segments of the population over-represented.

Affirmative Action for SCOTUS!  Yaaay.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Did you pay close enough attention to notice Kavanaugh apologized to Klobachar for that?

I did.  Before the break someone handed him a yellow piece of note paper, and he was obviously annoyed.  After the break he came back and apologized.  Someone told him to cool it I am sure.

Look, I am being honest.  The judge of all people should know that when you are preparing for a defense the lawyers screen the jury.  Do any people have a reason to recuse themselves?  Have they personally experienced?...........etc.  That is because of bias.  People are going to be bias if they have personally experienced similar things.  The Senate put Kavanagh in a public setting where he was judged by the entire nation.  Nobody excluded.   The American public with all of their own life experiences and bias.  Perhaps it was a mistake?  But you cannot blame people that he triggered that emotion.  It was definitely a trigger moment.

Up until the drinking question I was crying and thinking what an injustice.  Which it really is.  The whole thing.  Putting him up to public scrutiny over his whole life.  The Senate did it not me.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I did.  Before the break someone handed him a yellow piece of note paper, and he was obviously annoyed.  After the break he came back and apologized.  Someone told him to cool it I am sure.

Look, I am being honest.  The judge of all people should know that when you are preparing for a defense the lawyers screen the jury.  Do any people have a reason to recuse themselves?  Have they personally experienced?...........etc.  That is because of bias.  People are going to be bias if they have personally experienced similar things.  The Senate put Kavanagh in a public setting where he was judged by the entire nation.  Nobody excluded.   The American public with all of their own life experiences and bias.  Perhaps it was a mistake?  But you cannot blame people that he triggered that emotion.  It was definitely a trigger moment.

Up until the drinking question I was crying and thinking what an injustice.  Which it really is.  The whole thing.  Putting him up to public scrutiny over his whole life.  The Senate did it not me.

To be honest, I cringed at that too.  I still think it was an injustice on the part of the Rat Senators.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Chosen Daughter

To be honest, I cringed at that too.  I still think it was an injustice on the part of the Rat Senators.

It was an injustice for sure.  But you cannot blame people for their reaction to testimony.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It was an injustice for sure.  But you cannot blame people for their reaction to testimony.

People who answer questions with questions bug me.  It's my own personal cue for deception.  I thought that was the low point in his whole testimony.   :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline TomSea

Affirmative Action for SCOTUS!  Yaaay.

No, the SCOTUS makes laws for us all and should reflect the populace.

I don't care if it is Huffington Post and this is pre-Gorsuch:

There are six Roman Catholics currently serving on the court (Samuel Alito, Anthony Kennedy, John Roberts, Antonin Scalia, Sonia Sotomayor, and Clarence Thomas) and three Jews (Stephen Breyer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and Elena Kagen).
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-weigant/supreme-courts-lack-of-re_b_5545989.html

This does not seem like a proper balance. I don't even know if Sotomayor is a practicing Catholic but why not an Evangelist? See, it's not representative.  It's over-representation.  And I think, even if one has some faiths that tend to be "conservative", they do not always act conservative.

@Cyber Liberty

Over-representation from some segments of the population. YAAAY!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 04:50:05 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Why not a nominee who went to Duke Law School?

I'm for Kavanaugh, but again, we are largely nominating someone with an elite background and I don't think it always works out well.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
No, the SCOTUS makes laws for us all and should reflect the populace.

I don't care if it is Huffington Post and this is pre-Gorsuch:

This does not seem like a proper balance. I don't even know if Sotomayor is a practicing Catholic but why not an Evangelist? See, it's not representative.  It's over-representation.  And I think, even if one has some faiths that tend to be "conservative", they do not always act conservative.

@Cyber Liberty

Over-representation from some segments of the population. YAAAY!

Spoken like a true SJW.  We already have the mentally challenged well represented on the court.
I will NOT comply.

Offline TomSea

Spoken like a true SJW.  We already have the mentally challenged well represented on the court.

You've got nothing but personal attacks.

Okay, if you like rulings from 5% of the population, have at it.  I thought this nation rebelled over taxation without representation.  Have it your way, Marxist Elitist Obama Supporter.

@CatherineofAragon  owned you with your vulgar talk a few weeks ago. Despicable like with that frozen McCain and ice pick remark. Have it your way, you are on ignore for ever. No civil discussion from you, go crap on other people.

@Cyber Liberty

Well represented court? Huh? Spoken like an Obama supporter.

:troll:

« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 05:17:51 pm by TomSea »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Was that necessary?

Fallen-away Catholics, strictly in terms of church attendance/affiliation, are in the distinct majority, IMO.

The moral fiber of Catholicism, whatever that is, remains with us all.

Sotomayer and Roberts?  Anyone think they would vote to overturn RvW?

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline TomSea

By the way, Pat Buchanan, Cliff Kincaid and many other conservatives have remarked on the imbalance of the Court. But some people seem to use this as an excuse for personal attacks on others because they can't discuss this in a civil way.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Was that necessary?

'Fraid so.  I  can't stand "Affirmative Action" in any of its forms, even/especially the soft forms.  It's how we end up with less than the best.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 05:11:40 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline TomSea

The Senatorial process and the President's selection of nominees is hardly something comparable to affirmative action which is law. Everyone speaks up for their rights.  Another member of the forum going around sniping at other people, there statements are also shown to be wholly false.

This country was found on a premise of Representation, sorry if someone is happy with the Court being over represented by some segments of the population.  We had the Boston Tea Party over "taxation without representation", so the Marxist anti-American types can be clearly seen with their character assassination.

Affirmative action, what an idiotic comparison. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 05:26:14 pm by TomSea »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Affirmative action, what an idiotic comparison.

If you say so, @TomSea, but that's your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine.  Maybe it's because I've been the business end of AA?  Maybe next you'll tell us Kav doesn't deserve "innocent until proven guilty" because this is a SCOTUS nomination...a mere "promotion?"

It certainly would not be the first time you've called me "idiotic."  Won't be the last, I am sure.
I will NOT comply.

Offline XenaLee

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

I can trump that (pardon pun).   The "Lion of the Senate" was a KNOWN alcoholic that killed a woman, left her to drown and die in his car, and got away with it scott frickin free....all because he was a damned DemocRat.  This is all BS politics, the usual treatment from the rats... and anyone that either excuses what they're doing or goes along with it is one of them, in my logic book.
No quarter given to the enemy within...ever.

You can vote your way into socialism, but you have to shoot your way out of it.

Offline XenaLee

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
If you say so, @TomSea, but that's your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine.  Maybe it's because I've been the business end of AA?  Maybe next you'll tell us Kav doesn't deserve "innocent until proven guilty" because this is a SCOTUS nomination...a mere "promotion?"

It certainly would not be the first time you've called me "idiotic."  Won't be the last, I am sure.

Those idiots that are saying there is no "innocent until proven guilty" in this case are just trying to justify their demonization and destruction of Kav's reputation, life and family.   There IS no damned justification.
No quarter given to the enemy within...ever.

You can vote your way into socialism, but you have to shoot your way out of it.