Author Topic: Behind the scenes of Jeff Flake's decision to call for an FBI probe into Kavanaugh allegations  (Read 594 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Behind the scenes of Jeff Flake's decision to call for an FBI probe into Kavanaugh allegations
CBS News, Sep 28, 2018, 10:29 PM, Nancy Cordes, Grace Segers and Bo Erickson

<snip>

"I want to share one thing he said to me when I began my service here, which was: 'It is always appropriate to question another senator's policies, it is always appropriate to question another senator's priorities, but it is never appropriate to question another senator's motives,'" Coons said. "And there has been far too much of that that's happened in this process, in a way that will frankly make it very difficult for us to take off our partisan jerseys and at some point get back to the important work of finding solutions to the real challenges facing this country."

He said that after he gave his speech to the committee, Flake called him to the anteroom outside the hearing room to talk about his decision.

"He said, 'Look, I'm really having trouble with this. I think this hearing is tearing the country apart. What you're suggesting is perfectly reasonable. I think we ought to be trying to find a way to have a one-week pause,'" Coons recounted. He also said that Flake expressed some trepidation about proposing such a pause to allow the FBI to investigate the Kavanaugh allegations. "'I'm really concerned that folks on your side just want to run this out indefinitely and hold it open and hold it open and hold it open, and then it'll just lead to more, more, more,"  And, you know, I'm very concerned about how will this be handled? How will people talk about it?'" Coons said that he and Flake "had about a 5-minute intense and somewhat personal conversation" about the proposal.

Coons said Flake asked to speak to Feinstein. Eventually, it became a scrum where "virtually every member of the committee" gathered in the anteroom. Flake later told reporters he met with Democratic colleagues and asked them, "What would cause you to say we have a better process?"

After talking with several senators for awhile, Flake "sort of kicked everyone out," and he and Coons talked individually in the phone booth for around 15 minutes.

Soon afterward, Flake said he wanted to speak to FBI Director Christopher Wray. He ended up talking with Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein for what Coons estimated was about 10 minutes. Coons had left him alone for the conversation, but when he returned, Flake was no longer by himself.

Read more:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jeff-flake-brett-kavanaugh-fbi-probe-today-elevator-protest-chris-coons-2018-09-28/

Online Right_in_Virginia

After Flake voted Friday morning to schedule the vote to advance Kavanaugh's nomination for that afternoon, two protesters confronted him at a Senate elevator, holding the doors open to block him from leaving. One of the protesters spoke emotionally about her own experience with sexual assault, while Flake looked down, ashen-faced.

This has not happened before in the history of the Senate.  Security would have blocked them.  That Senate elevator is sacrosanct.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Flake said he wanted to speak to FBI Director Christopher Wray. He ended up talking with Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein for what Coons estimated was about 10 minutes.

Rosenstein, the author of the never-ending "special counsel investigation".

Offline DB

Flake can't be out of the senate soon enough.

He is a complete fool.

Offline Frank Cannon

This has not happened before in the history of the Senate.  Security would have blocked them.  That Senate elevator is sacrosanct.

Turns out these two "victims" are on Soros' payroll. They run one of his groups....

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/09/women-screaming-at-flake-in-elevator-were-soros-funded-astroturfed-activist-leaders-not-sex-abuse-victims/

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Flake's Senate tenure, will boil down to this one issue. He will be remembered if K is or is not confirmed.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Hoodat

Soon afterward, Flake said he wanted to speak to FBI Director Christopher Wray. He ended up talking with Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein for what Coons estimated was about 10 minutes.

Are you kidding me?  He talked to Rosenstein?  Rod Rosenstein is the one driving this FBI investigation?  OMG!
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-