Author Topic: Trump Follows Senate Lead, Orders FBI Investigation of Kavanaugh  (Read 7246 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

Trump Follows Senate Lead, Orders FBI Investigation of Kavanaugh
« on: September 28, 2018, 09:12:45 pm »
https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/trump-follows-senate-lead-orders-fbi-investigation-kavanaugh

Following up on a deal struck by senators on Friday, President Donald Trump has agreed to order the FBI to reopen its background investigation of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

“I’ve ordered the FBI to conduct a supplemental investigation to update Judge Kavanaugh’s file. As the Senate has requested, this update must be limited in scope and completed in less than one week,” Trump said in a statement released on Twitter by his top spokeswoman.

Previously, the president had resisted giving the order. He said top FBI leaders had informed him the sexual misconduct allegations against the nominee were out of its purview.

Senior bureau officials had told the White House “that they really don’t do that, that’s not what they do,” Trump said on Sept. 18, two days after Christine Blasey Ford went public with her allegation that he assaulted her at a 1982 high school house party.

Trump’s decision means a final vote on Kavanaugh’s nomination will be delayed at least until the week after next while the FBI does its probe and delivers a final report.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Trump Follows Senate Lead, Orders FBI Investigation of Kavanaugh
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 09:14:29 pm »
How in the hell can you put a time limit on an FBI investigation? You can't. This GD thing could go on til Christmas.

Eff you Flake. Burn in hell you dirty piece of shit.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 09:14:34 pm »
We just lost the war.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 09:15:44 pm »
There will be Russians.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 09:16:11 pm »
We just lost the war.

This is why I consider these anti-Trump people the same as full fledged Rats. There isn't a dimes worth of difference between the two except Rats have spines and they don't.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 09:16:54 pm »
There will be Russians.

There will be after Avenatti gets another week. Bank on it.

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 09:20:13 pm »
Dr. Ford's attorneys have issued a statement that ended with:  "No limit on time, no limit on scope".

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 09:25:54 pm »
Re: California professor, writer of confidential Brett Kavanaugh letter, speaks out about her allega
« Reply #92 on:
September 16, 2018, 11:50:55 PM

Nothing is certain in life except death and taxes. And, of course, Republicans cowering and kowtowing to every ridiculous demand from the Democrat mafia. If there is any way possible to screw this up, the Republicans will find it. Losing is what they are experts at.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 09:27:10 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline endicom

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 09:31:30 pm »

Trump must have been told they won't have the votes without the investigation.

Offline bilo

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 09:36:17 pm »
How in the hell can you put a time limit on an FBI investigation? You can't. This GD thing could go on til Christmas.

Flake comes from the same state as mccain did. Is there something in the water out there?

Any fair minded observer should have been stunned that they had a hearing yesterday for an accusation from a woman with obvious mental issues. She made an allegation about something from 36 years ago with no evidence. The witnesses sighted all denied remembering anything of the kind. She had no specifics as to when and where. Yet our "esteemed" senators decided because a woman made a accusation she must be heard.

If this extension ends up with Kavanaugh not being confirmed the Pubs are toast. Why vote for people who roll over like puppy dogs for people who surrender after they've won.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 10:22:16 pm »

It's a matter of the scope of the investigation.  I mean, I'm one guy, and I've completed a full-on sexual harassment investigation in that much time.  The FBI can interview all of the witnesses simultaneously.

If it is limited to Ford's allegation, it'll be wrapped up quickly.  If not....then it will go on past a week.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 12:30:08 am »
It can and will be done in a week...remember, this is an extended BACKGROUND investigation, not a criminal one. Much of the work has already been done, all that's left will be to gather statements from 4 or 5 "witnesses" and then to corroborate some time lines and locations. The end result will be restatements of the previous witnesses letters stating they remember nothing resembling what Ford asserts...and the FBI saying it cannot corroborate the time/place of the events in question. End of investigation.

The Dems will proclaim it was cursory, or that we MUST dig deeper to verify what really happened...but the Senate WILL move forward and vote. What Murk/Collins do...that is anyone's guess in a week, just as it would be if they voted tomorrow. Manchin is interesting...he NEEDS to be able to vote yes, but he sure as hell doesn't want to be the deciding vote. If he IS the deciding vote and goes with a yes...he might as well just switch parties because he will be a true pariah in the Dem party.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2018, 12:40:15 am »
Trump must have been told they won't have the votes without the investigation.
:thumbsup:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2018, 12:51:50 am »
Frank Cannon wrote:
"How in the hell can you put a time limit on an FBI investigation? You can't. This GD thing could go on til Christmas."

I posted the following elsewhere (in a thread that won't get much notice):
======
... this isn't over yet.

The Republicans STILL have yet to find the backbone to confirm Judge Kavanaugh.

I sense this "7 day investigation" is going to reveal, essentially, nothing -- if it gets completed at all.

Of course, Ford's lawyer is going to refuse cooperation, to run the clock out. "We need more time..."

And... when that happens?

Will that change the minds of Flake, Murkowski, and Collins?

I'm going to guess... no.

And... then what?

Addendum to Frank's comment:
"This GD thing could go on til Christmas."

Ahem.
Doesn't Congress RECESS for the Christmas holiday?
(hint...hint....)

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2018, 01:09:42 am »
The Dems will proclaim it was cursory, or that we MUST dig deeper to verify what really happened...but the Senate WILL move forward and vote. What Murk/Collins do...that is anyone's guess in a week, just as it would be if they voted tomorrow. Manchin is interesting...he NEEDS to be able to vote yes, but he sure as hell doesn't want to be the deciding vote. If he IS the deciding vote and goes with a yes...he might as well just switch parties because he will be a true pariah in the Dem party.

Speaking of political cults ... that's what the Democrat party has become.  Absolutely no dissent allowed.  Clarence Thomas only sits on the court because 11 Democrats voted in his favor.  Scalia won 98-0.  Times certainly have changed.

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2018, 01:17:49 am »
Donald J. Trump
Verified accountï‚™ @realDonaldTrump 

Just started, tonight, our 7th FBI investigation of Judge Brett Kavanaugh. He will someday be recognized as a truly great Justice of The United States Supreme Court!

5:27 PM - 28 Sep 2018

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1045832351211835392?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2018, 02:23:29 am »
Raise your hand if you think the same FBI that has already done 6 investigations of this guy is going to come back now and report that they missed this 6 times previously but the 7th time was the charm.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2018, 03:12:38 am »
Finally, we have a leader with a backbone! <swoon>

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/932388590344196096

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Sen. Jeff Flake(y), who is unelectable in the Great State of Arizona (quit race, anemic polls) was caught (purposely) on “mike” saying bad things about your favorite President. He’ll be a NO on tax cuts because his political career anyway is “toast.”
3:22 PM - 19 Nov 2017

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1004722061808427008

How could Jeff Flake, who is setting record low polling numbers in Arizona and was therefore humiliatingly forced out of his own Senate seat without even a fight (and who doesn’t have a clue), think about running for office, even a lower one, again? Let’s face it, he’s a Flake!
6:49 AM - 7 Jun 2018

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1034663158357655552

Martha McSally, running in the Arizona Primary for U.S. Senate, was endorsed by rejected Senator Jeff Flake....and turned it down - a first! Now Martha, a great U.S. Military fighter jet pilot and highly respected member of Congress, WINS BIG. Congratulations, and on to November!
9:44 PM - 28 Aug 2018

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/923149037523566592

The reason Flake and Corker dropped out of the Senate race is very simple, they had zero chance of being elected. Now act so hurt & wounded!
4:27 AM - 25 Oct 2017

Great tweets Mr. President.  You humiliated Flake so good. :thumbsdown:

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2018, 04:08:00 am »
Finally, we have a leader with a backbone! <swoon>

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/932388590344196096

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1004722061808427008

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1034663158357655552

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/923149037523566592

Great tweets Mr. President.  You humiliated Flake so good. :thumbsdown:

Huh? Flake has proven that everything Trump said is true. He didn't make Flake into a turncoat snowflake, he simply noted that that's what he is. Any humiliation is self inflicted, and is NOT because of anything Trump said.

Even now, you side with those tearing down Brett Kavanaugh...this is precisely how and why NeverTrumpism is the useful idiot reservoir for the Dem Party.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2018, 04:32:04 am »
Huh? Flake has proven that everything Trump said is true. He didn't make Flake into a turncoat snowflake, he simply noted that that's what he is. Any humiliation is self inflicted, and is NOT because of anything Trump said.

Even now, you side with those tearing down Brett Kavanaugh...this is precisely how and why NeverTrumpism is the useful idiot reservoir for the Dem Party.
You have no idea what is going on.  Trump makes his enemies and wonders why they won't play ball.  You cheer him on then blame me when I point out Trump doesn't understand human behavior...because he has never been forced to.  He has always had others who he could pay to clean up his messes.

I think Kavanaugh is getting a raw deal.  It's too bad he was nominated by such a F*** up.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2018, 05:55:58 pm »
You have no idea what is going on.  Trump makes his enemies and wonders why they won't play ball.  You cheer him on then blame me when I point out Trump doesn't understand human behavior...because he has never been forced to.  He has always had others who he could pay to clean up his messes.

I think Kavanaugh is getting a raw deal.  It's too bad he was nominated by such a F*** up.

Oh, he IS messy no doubt. War is messy, and make no mistake, we are in the midst of a political war of a kind not seen since the run up to the Civil War. But it must be fought, because for most of us...and for the President...surrendering to Socio-Leftism is not an option. And...more importantly...this battle must be won in the political arena...for the very purpose of keeping it from escalating to a more visceral and literal fight. In this fight, the Quisling's like Flake and Corker can no longer be allowed a free pass when they are duplicitous...you would have us reward them by wooing them or condoning their complicity with the Left's agenda. Trump makes them pay a price for it. Bully for him.

At times, I must admit, I grow weary of your shallow misperceptions. I know you mean well, but if you think Trump doesn't have an instinctive insight into human behavior...and a corresponding ability to manipulate it...then you simply haven't been paying attention at all these past 2 years. He makes enemies...yes...and as the old saying goes "he chooses them well". But much of that is simply the consequence of actually fighting back when someone is attacking you...and attacking all that WE hold dear about this country and our Constitution. I'm all for gathering allies and pulling moderates into the fold, but there must be boundaries that cannot be crossed by these "moderates" and their must be a political price for their treachery when it occurs.

If nothing else, He has brought the RINO's and Dem collaborator types out into the open and exposed them fully for what they are...and while that is not cost free, as they will make him pay with occasional votes and continual backstabbing of their own party...it is a necessary evil. As I imagine you know, Trump's popularity amongst conservatives and specifically Republicans is at record levels...most of us want him inflicting a price on RINO's/NT's who collaborate with the Left at every opportunity...and yes, they did so PRIOR to Trump running for the Presidency. The difference is, they often did it in the shadows and back halls and got away with their complicity...no more!

The alternative to Trump's approach would be to let these RINO/NT types continue to undermine all things conservative in perpetuity....not acceptable in my book. And remember...for every Flake/Corker there are 10 waffler types who have moved right to avoid the scathing critique of our President. You won't hear their names, because they are doing all they can to blend back into the Conservative mainstream and to be loyal to the GOP in its fight against Leftist Extremism...they understand that there is now a cost for those who cozy with the Left while feigning to be on the Republican bus. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 06:00:51 pm by Mesaclone »

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2018, 06:46:16 pm »
Punishing the voters for Trump's bullying is 100% on Flake.  He can try to hide behind the ladies, but he won't get away with it.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2018, 06:49:57 pm »
So...the one-week clock started yesterday?  McConnell needs to set the Cloture vote for Friday next.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2018, 08:10:54 pm »
President Trump delayed.  He did it.  Get over it.  Its your president.  He could have ordered the vote if he thought that he would get Kavanagh confirmed.  Obviously he didn't believe he could.  One week is nothing.  We aren't even into October.

Get the circus over!

Politicians on both sides are ridiculous.  All excited over Lindsey Graham.  Your president just signed another spending bill forcing us to continue to make Planned Parenthood rich on the murders of American citizen babies.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 08:13:29 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2018, 08:24:05 pm »
President Trump delayed.  He did it.  Get over it.  Its your president.  He could have ordered the vote if he thought that he would get Kavanagh confirmed.  Obviously he didn't believe he could.  One week is nothing.  We aren't even into October.

Get the circus over!

Politicians on both sides are ridiculous.  All excited over Lindsey Graham.  Your president just signed another spending bill forcing us to continue to make Planned Parenthood rich on the murders of American citizen babies.

McConnell controls the Senate calendar, not the President.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: