Author Topic: Kavanaugh approved by Judiciary Committee by 11-10 Party Line Vote, Moves to Full Senate Vote  (Read 751 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: NBC NEWS

URL: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/senate-judiciary-committee-postpones-kavanaugh-decision-friday-afternoon-n914676

WASHINGTON — Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh was approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee on Friday on an 11-10 party-line vote, with all Republicans supporting President Donald Trump’s pick and all Democrats voting against him.

The nomination still needs to be voted on by the full Senate and that remained up in the air after the committee acted.

Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., said before the vote that the full Senate vote should be delayed for one week to allow time for the FBI to reopen its background investigation into Kavanaugh amid multiple allegations of sexual misconduct.

Flake suggested he may not vote in favor of Kavanaugh on the Senate floor if the FBI investigation does not take place. He said the investigation should be short and limited and in scope.

If Flake and one or two other Republican senators oppose moving the nomination to the Senate floor for a vote, that could stall the confirmation.

The only way the investigation could be launched is if President Donald Trump orders the FBI to do so.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 06:16:21 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline SirLinksALot

Red State Democrats Joe Donnelly (D-IND) and Jon Tester (D-MONT) already indicate that they will Vote "NO".

It's down to Democrat Joe Manchin of WV, and the two ( might as well be Democrat ) Republicans, Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Flake just put massive brakes on this.  There are two steps required for confirmation.  The first is a cloture vote to end debate/filibuster, and the second is the actual vote.  Flake's demand for an FBI investigation essentially means that he and the two women won't vote for cloture unless/until they get an investigation that satisfies them.

Offline dfwgator

Flake just put massive brakes on this.  There are two steps required for confirmation.  The first is a cloture vote to end debate/filibuster, and the second is the actual vote.  Flake's demand for an FBI investigation essentially means that he and the two women won't vote for cloture unless/until they get an investigation that satisfies them.

So the $64 question is, what exactly will satisfy them?  As of now, the Rats are irrelevant.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Flake is simply posturing for posterity and the history books.

THAT'S how profound this seat is for generations.

...especially with Ginsberg's condition.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
So the $64 question is, what exactly will satisfy them?  As of now, the Rats are irrelevant.

Best case scenario is that Judge sits down with the FBI, they question him, he basically sticks by his story, and that's it.

I'm not at all confident that Collins, etc., won't hold out for an investigation into all the Avenatti crap, though.

Offline dfwgator

Best case scenario is that Judge sits down with the FBI, they question him, he basically sticks by his story, and that's it.

I'm not at all confident that Collins, etc., won't hold out for an investigation into all the Avenatti crap, though.

This is how I see the "investigation" going...

FBI: Did you do it?
Kavanaugh: No.
FBI: Ok, investigation over, he's good.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Flake is simply posturing for posterity and the history books.

THAT'S how profound this seat is for generations.

...especially with Ginsberg's condition.

When Ginsberg goes (and she is kicking herself everyday for not resigning under Obama), when she goes I do absolutely expects physical violence against whomever the candidate is, and his/her supporters on the committee. These Liberals are fanatic lunatics with a definite proclivity for violence. Ginsberg will send them over the edge.

They can just barely behave like civilized human being now. With RGB being replaced they will not be able to contain themselves anymore. It will be pure chaos.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I don't know that this much matters in the grand scheme of things, but I'm told that the Governor of Maryland asked for a complete investigation of the charges against Judge Kavanaugh and was told that although there is no statute of limitations on these types of charges now there was in 1982 when the acts alleged occurred.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I don't know that this much matters in the grand scheme of things, but I'm told that the Governor of Maryland asked for a complete investigation of the charges against Judge Kavanaugh and was told that although there is no statute of limitations on these types of charges now there was in 1982 when the acts alleged occurred.

I am still unclear about what the charge is. What was the crime. If the cops start arresting teenage boys for teasing teenage girls the jails will be overflowing in a couple of days.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I am still unclear about what the charge is. What was the crime. If the cops start arresting teenage boys for teasing teenage girls the jails will be overflowing in a couple of days.

@240B

Here's a link supporting what I said above:that explains it all: https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/law-enforcement-officials-explain-why-theres-no-criminal-case-against-brett-kavanaugh/
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 08:35:32 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Major Bill wrote:
"Flake's demand for an FBI investigation essentially means that he and the two women won't vote for cloture unless/until they get an investigation that satisfies them."

And dfwgator replied:
"So the $64 question is, what exactly will satisfy them?"

I'm beginning to think the answer to your question is:
Nothing.
... and that -- when the final vote comes -- they will vote no.

I'll whisper this again:
"Recess Appointment"...

Offline SirLinksALot

"So the $64 question is, what exactly will satisfy them?"

For these two women Collins and Murkowski?

An assurance that Roe vs Wade will not be overturned and a woman's right to kill her own baby in the womb is preserved.

That's what this fight about Kavanaugh essentially boils doen to.