Author Topic: Historian reveals link between suicide and political crisis  (Read 424 times)

rangerrebew

Historian reveals link between suicide and political crisis
« on: September 28, 2018, 02:35:15 pm »
Historian reveals link between suicide and political crisis
September 28, 2018 by Sean Barton, University of Sheffield

A link between major political and social crises and mental health has been highlighted as part of research by a historian at the University of Sheffield that is seeking to increase our understanding of suicide.

The study, led by Dr. Julie Gottlieb from the University's Department of History, reveals how there was a string of suicides triggered by fear of war as a result of the Munich Crisis of 1938, when whole populations were in a state of suspense and high anxiety, waiting to hear if they would be in war or peace.

Britain, France, Italy and Germany signed the Munich Agreement on 30 September, 1938, which betrayed Czechoslovakia and gave in to Hitler's demands for the Sudetenland, with Neville Chamberlain returning from Munich with the promise of 'peace for our time'.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-09-historian-reveals-link-suicide-political.html#jCp

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Historian reveals link between suicide and political crisis
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 02:47:46 pm »
If you rely on the government for everything and look to them to be the solution to your problems- or if you let the government have so much control of everything you have no choice- then one can get in the mindset that changes in the government can destroy their lives or make change seem like an unsurmountable hurdle.

It is one of those areas where I believe it is why liberals are so willing to get violent and emotional over changes in government- because they set up themselves and the system to be dependent (not necessarily welfare dependent but simply psychologically dependent) on what happens with the government. I had hoped Conservatives wouldn't' fall into this, but I see it more and more infecting all sides.