Author Topic: Four Ways the GOP Could Have Avoided Kavanaugh Headaches  (Read 290 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Four Ways the GOP Could Have Avoided Kavanaugh Headaches
« on: September 28, 2018, 09:43:39 am »
Excerpts:

Constitutional Freedoms
Four Ways the GOP Could Have Avoided Kavanaugh Headaches
Republicans made mistakes in their management of the allegations against Supreme Court nomination

By Brendan Kirby | Thursday, September 27, 2018

1.) Settling on a direct course. Republicans could have tried to push Kavanaugh through by setting a firm hearing date and not allow themselves to be strung along by negotiations and demands by Ford’s attorneys and Senate Democrats.

2.) Holding a full-blown hearing. Republicans tried to find a balance between taking Ford’s allegation seriously but not dragging out the process. In doing so, they came up with a format that included just two witnesses — Ford and Kavanaugh.

3.) Declining to delegate responsibility for questioning the witnesses. The GOP feared the optics of 11 Republican men cross-examining Ford. They likely had visions of Sen. Arlen Specter, the late Pennsylvania Republican who effectively undermined Hill during the Thomas hearings but then nearly lost his seat the following year.

Read more at: https://www.lifezette.com/2018/09/four-ways-gop-could-have-avoided-kavanaugh-headaches/

Lifezette is co-founded by Laura Ingraham. I put that in because one can read the article. I'm not sure if I agree with points 2 and 4.  (4. did call for an FBI investigation). To set a timeline as number 1 says sounds reasonable. Lifezette's site again, makes my computer act a bit wonky, so be forewarned.