Author Topic: Senate Insider: Kavanaugh Votes Secured  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

Senate Insider: Kavanaugh Votes Secured
« on: September 28, 2018, 05:06:05 am »
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-09-27/senate-insider-kavanaugh-votes-secured

After an emotional day of testimony on Capitol Hill, a late Thursday report from Townhall citing a Senate insider reveals that Brett Kavanaugh has the votes to make it out of committee and will be confirmed on the floor for a seat on the U.S. Supreme Court.

Sens. Flake (R-AZ), Collins (R-ME), Murkowski (R-AK), and Manchin (D-WV) are expected to vote in favor of Kavanaugh. All the Republicans are voting yes. Also, in the rumor mill, several Democrats may break ranks and back Kavanaugh. That’s the ball game, folks. -Townhall

Thursday's testimony saw a rollercoaster of emotions from both Brett Kavanaugh and his accuser, Christine Blasey Ford - who claims he groped her at a high school party in 1982.

Ford was considered compelling, with Senator Orrin Hatch (R-UT) calling her an "attractive, good witness," while betting sites saw Kavanaugh's chances of approval drop significantly after she was done.

Kavanaugh, on the other hand, shook the building with righteous indignation - slamming Democrats for smearing his family name and his lifetime of achievements. His opening statement was gripping and emotional - with Kavanaugh breaking down into tears several times, and seething with rage during other pivotal moments - such as when he excoriated ranking minority leader Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) for withholding Ford's letter from the committee for several weeks before it was leaked to the press.

Feinstein was taken aback, and immediately pivoted to a softer tact which was ultimately not convincing. The Democrats attempted several times to corner Kavanaugh on why he hasn't advocated for an FBI investigation into the allegations against him, to which Kavanaugh stated several times that this would ultimately be unproductive since the agency doesn't render an opinion, which was the Judiciary Committee's job.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Senate Insider: Kavanaugh Votes Secured
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 05:18:56 am »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 05:33:07 am »
This surprised me... I figured Flake to be a NO... But I guess Manchin coming over right away canceled his power.  :shrug:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 05:38:41 am »
This surprised me... I figured Flake to be a NO... But I guess Manchin coming over right away canceled his power.  :shrug:

As soon as I heard that squishes remarks at the hearing today I knew he got enough cover from Kav's strong remarks to vote Yea.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 05:44:38 am »
As soon as I heard that squishes remarks at the hearing today I knew he got enough cover from Kav's strong remarks to vote Yea.

Funny that - Because it was his remarks (and history w. Tump) that left me thinking he would have a last act of defiance.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 06:17:49 am »
Flake was just attention whoring, to irritate Trump, or for whatever he has lined up after retirement.  He was always going to be a yes in the end. 

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 09:16:56 am »
! No longer available

God love you Brett.

We get a couple more with this man's grit and there is a distinct, albeit it off in the future, chance of Freedom actually breaking out in this country.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 10:50:32 am »
The source is an unnamed "Senate insider."  So I don't know if I trust this any more than I would trust any news report citing an anonymous source. 

Let's see how the vote turns out -- that is, if there really will be a vote.  Still a lot of whining that the matter should  be investigated first. 

Offline verga

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 01:31:38 pm »
BKMK
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 01:34:24 pm »
The source is an unnamed "Senate insider."  So I don't know if I trust this any more than I would trust any news report citing an anonymous source. 

Let's see how the vote turns out -- that is, if there really will be a vote.  Still a lot of whining that the matter should  be investigated first.

Well Flaky just openly said he is a Yea vote, so it looks like this is happening.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 01:52:30 pm »
I'm hearing several Democrats will vote for him.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline bilo

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 06:15:39 pm »
I'm hearing several Democrats will vote for him.

I doubt that now that Flake is selling out the Pubs.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 06:17:53 pm »
Flake crumbled.

He's voting yes, but he's also asking for an FBI investigation of no more than one week, which is about the damn dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Offline bilo

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 06:23:24 pm »
Flake crumbled.

He's voting yes, but he's also asking for an FBI investigation of no more than one week, which is about the damn dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Watch Murkowski and Collins fall in with him in demanding a week delay. Of course the FBI, will come back and claim it's not enough time and the Rats will come up with more loon's making accusations. By the time a week passes tyhe world will think Kavanaugh is a serial rapist.

I can't believe how the Pubs always find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 06:26:07 pm »
Flake crumbled.

Flake is just trying to piss Trump off.  The most petty Senator in the history of the Senate, and that includes McCain.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 06:27:04 pm »
Actually, it is "secured" in the sense that Kavanaugh will get to the Full Senate Vote.

Whether they have the numbers to CONFIRM him is another matter.

Call Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski, and tell Flakey Jeff not to go wobbly.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 06:33:31 pm »
Now just wait for it.

Rats like Booker and Harris will be claiming the Repubs seated an 'Accused Rapist' on the Supreme Court for years to come.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 06:34:42 pm »
Flake is just trying to piss Trump off.  The most petty Senator in the history of the Senate, and that includes McCain.
Consider Flake, probably in league with Romney, as a possible2020 primary opponent to Trump.

Just making trouble. Not very skilled or clever, however.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline bilo

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 06:43:24 pm »
Consider Flake, probably in league with Romney, as a possible2020 primary opponent to Trump.

Just making trouble. Not very skilled or clever, however.

Flake is done in the Pub party and he knows it. What's he going to do now if McConnell says no way, the full Senate vote goes ahead without delay. Flake almost has to vote no.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 07:23:53 pm »
What's he going to do now if McConnell says no way, the full Senate vote goes ahead without delay. Flake almost has to vote no.

The truth is that the Committee vote was essentially meaningless, because the nomination could have proceeded to the Senate floor with or without Flake's vote. And whatever Grassley did at the end really doesn't matter either.

Very unfortunately, all the power is in the hands of Flake, Collins, and Murkowski. They don't have to vote against Kavanaugh -- all they have to do is vote against any motion to invoke cloture - end the filibuster - and move to a vote. They can delay a full Senate vote as long as they want once it gets to the full Senate. And regardless of what was said by Grassley there at the end, they're going to have the power to drag this out as long as they want.

Best case is that at least two of them are satisfied with a more or less perfunctory FBI "investigation", and there is a vote in a week or so.

But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 07:32:19 pm »
Flake crumbled.

The nomination appeared to be sunk before Kavanaugh's magnificent testimony.  Now I sense the more time that passes since his appearance, the less likely he will be confirmed. 

It's hard to express how disappointed I am with the people in this country.  Washington is only this way because of the citizens who filled it with degenerates.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2018, 01:24:15 am »
Maj. Bill wrote (with insight):
"Very unfortunately, all the power is in the hands of Flake, Collins, and Murkowski. They don't have to vote against Kavanaugh -- all they have to do is vote against any motion to invoke cloture - end the filibuster - and move to a vote. They can delay a full Senate vote as long as they want once it gets to the full Senate. And regardless of what was said by Grassley there at the end, they're going to have the power to drag this out as long as they want.
Best case is that at least two of them are satisfied with a more or less perfunctory FBI "investigation", and there is a vote in a week or so.
But I wouldn't hold my breath."

Nor would I.

One more hurdle over which to move forward, and the three weak sisters stumbled.

Do you really think they're going to be satisfied when -- after the week is up and Ford and her attorney STILL WON'T cooperate -- the "investigation" is stymied?

I've said this before, I'll say it again (although virtually everyone here ignores me when I post this):
Use the power of the recess appointment.
Then... wait until January, when hopefully we'll have at least two or three (or perhaps even four) brand-new Republicans who need to prove themselves.
Vote on the nomination then.
In any case, Kavanaugh will have "the seat" until the appointment expires.
It's better 'n' nuttin'...

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2018, 03:23:19 am »