Author Topic: Can Science Save Politics? Or Will Politics Ruin Science?  (Read 503 times)

rangerrebew

Can Science Save Politics? Or Will Politics Ruin Science?
« on: September 26, 2018, 03:59:11 pm »
Can Science Save Politics? Or Will Politics Ruin Science?

By Maggie Koerth-Baker

Published Aug. 6, 2018

Suneel Gupta had his bags packed, ready to go to Washington. It was the night of Nov. 8, 2016, and Gupta, then a tech entrepreneur, was itching to leave the Bay Area and begin a new job in the Clinton White House.

“I got asked to lead up Hillary’s Office of Science and Technology Policy for the transition,” he told me. “Literally election night, I’m watching the results come in. Watching them with my wife, who is nine months pregnant with our second daughter. The next morning, I’m supposed to be on a plane, ready to go … get my marching orders.”

He calls it the shortest job of his life.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/can-science-save-politics/
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 04:00:24 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline The_Reader_David

Re: Can Science Save Politics? Or Will Politics Ruin Science?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 05:48:22 pm »
Politics has already ruined science (at least in America).  The way government funding agencies select grants has created a herd mentality in science in which everyone does the same thing, expects the same outcomes, contrarian research programs (often the most important and fruitful, esp. when the herd is running the wrong way) are stifled, and decades can go by with out any real progress.  String theory provides an example of this in which there is no more direct contact with politics than through the funding process -- 40 years of nothing much, no testable predictions since everything important gets attributed to the (unobservable and unfalsifiable) state of the early universe.

It's worse when the science gets close to anything bearing on public policy -- one gets almost literal witch hunts directed against contrarians, as in the case of research into climate dynamics or variability of human intelligence.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 10:02:58 pm »
How about defining terms first...........hmm?
Science is the systematic study of the behavior and structure of
our natural/physical world through experimentation and observation.
Politics involves activities associated w/governance, power and status.
And they are related in precisely what way???

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 10:27:09 pm »
The takeaway from the article: only democrats can save science.