Author Topic: Not a Done Deal: Ford’s Attorneys Throwing A New Wrench In The Plans For Thursday Hearing?  (Read 461 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: HOTAIR

URL: https://hotair.com/archives/2018/09/25/fords-attorneys-throwing-new-wrench-plans-thursday-hearing/

by Ed Morrissey

Will she or won’t she? In negotiations that dragged out all week and into the weekend, lawyers for Christine Blasey Ford insisted on setting the terms for the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing created specifically to hear her testimony. Only after chair Chuck Grassley finally enforced a deadline did Ford’s attorneys agree to terms with Grassley — sort of — and commit to having Ford appear on Thursday.

Or did they? Despite Grassley insisting in their quasi-agreement this weekend that the committee retained the option of employing outside counsel for questioning, Ford’s attorneys have launched another objection, NBC’s Frank Thorp reported last night. Oh, and they want Mitch McConnell to shut up, too:

In new letter from Dr Ford’s Attorney to the Judiciary Committee, they again object to having outside counsel ask the questions for republicans at Thursday’s hearing, and ask for the name and resume of who that person will be.

This does not appear to be a done deal. pic.twitter.com/MwggIeBGbs

— Frank Thorp V (@frankthorp) September 25, 2018

The complaint about McConnell comes first, prompted by the angry speech by the majority leader from the Senate floor. McConnell called the wave of new allegations a “smear campaign” that had “a complete lack of evidence.” Ford attorney Michael Bromwich objects to that and claims it contradicts Grassley’s pledge to provide Ford with “fair and respectful treatment.”

First, McConnell’s ire was raised by the allegations that arose yesterday. Even beyond that, it’s tough for Ford’s attorneys to object to an objection over “a complete lack of evidence,” because that fairly assesses her allegation, too. Ford hasn’t provided any evidence, and hasn’t even provided basic details such as the place and date of the alleged assault — in fact, even the year is apparently still in question. The four people she named as present and/or participants say it never happened; one, a “lifelong” friend of Ford’s, says she’s never been in Brett Kavanaugh’s presence.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline SirLinksALot

1. She will not travel until deal is finalized, that would buy the Libs four more days.

2. She will not testify under oath.

Anyone who does not see this as a stalling tactic is either naive or willfully blind.

I say, Hold the hearing, if she doesn’t show, she doesn’t show... then hold the vote.

She has been given more than enough opportunity to speak...

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 02:23:10 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline ConstitutionRose

1. She will not travel until deal is finalized, that would buy the Libs four more days.

2. She will not testify under oath.

Anyone who does not see this as a stalling tactic is either naive or willfully blind.

I say, Hold the hearing, if she doesn’t show, she doesn’t show... then hold the vote.

She has been given more than enough opportunity to speak...

Should be repeated.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline SirLinksALot

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I hear she wants a pony...and no green M&Ms.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
It's time for Grassley to bite the bullet and lay down the law:

Subpoena Ford.
FORCE her to appear on a given date.

When she appears, put her under oath.

Prediction:
She will either:
a. Refuse to be put under oath -- in that case, hold her in contempt of Congress. Maybe her "lawyer", as well.
b. Take the oath, but then plead the Fifth Amendment -- fine with me. Tell her to leave and be done with her.