Author Topic: Kavanaugh is short of votes, but fate hinges on upcoming testimony  (Read 375 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

Kavanaugh is short of votes, but fate hinges on upcoming testimony
« on: September 25, 2018, 01:51:25 pm »
SOURCE: FOX NEWS

URL: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/09/25/kavanaugh-is-short-votes-but-fate-hinges-on-upcoming-testimony.html

By Chad Pergram

When it comes to the nomination of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, remember one thing:

The math is the math is the math.

Nothing else matters.

Either the math works in favor of Kavanaugh or it doesn’t.

The Senate is divided between 51 Republicans and 49 senators who caucus with Democrats.

Forty-three Republicans have pledged their support to Kavanaugh. Eight GOPers remain undecided. They are Sens. Susan Collins, R-Maine; Bob Corker, R-Tenn.; Mike Enzi, R-Wyo.; Jeff Flake, R-Ariz.; James Lankford, R-Okla.; Jerry Moran, R-Kan.; Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska; and Ben Sasse, R-Neb.

There are at least four Republican senators who are genuinely in play right now. Fox is told the number could be as high as seven Republicans. The four obvious ones on the fence are Collins, Corker, Flake and Murkowski.

So, Kavanaugh’s fate is far from clear.

“In the very near future, Judge Kavanaugh will be on the United States Supreme Court,” said McConnell in a speech at the Values Voters Summit on Friday. “So my friends, keep the faith.”

By Monday, the Kentucky Republican tempered his pronouncement.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST...

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Kavanaugh is short of votes, but fate hinges on upcoming testimony
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 02:06:59 pm »
It is very likely that McConnell knows much more than we do about how the vote looks.  It is also very likely that some Senators who are uncommitted publicly at this point have made it clear in private that unless there is some earth-shattering revelation, they'll vote for Kavanaugh.

I don't think even some Democrats like the idea of kicking a guy to the curb based on uncorroborated, indeed largely contradicted, 35 year old allegations about behavior in high school.  The precedent that would set has to be alarming for many of them.  But they're willing to go that far because of pressure from their base, anger over Merrick Garland, and desire not to seat a conservative.

But I really have a hard time seeing why any of those Republicans would go along with setting such a dangerous precedent.  Their base leans the opposite, they all supported not confirming Garland, and none of them appear opposed to Kavanaugh on philosophical grounds.  Appeasing the military feminists who are not part of their base doesn't seem sufficient to overcome that.

Offline verga

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 02:17:56 pm »
BKMK
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 02:26:19 pm »
I e-mailed all the senators that have been listed as wavering this morning.  Think I'll call too.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 02:41:27 pm »
I e-mailed all the senators that have been listed as wavering this morning.  Think I'll call too.

Join in the “MELT THEIR PHONE LINES!!” Campaign.

CALL!!

Numbers to call.. Ask them to vote to confirm before October 1.

Susan Collins 202-224-2523
Lisa Murkowski 202-224-6665
Heidi Heitkamp 202-224-2043
Joe Manchin 202-224-3954
Joe Donnelly 202-224-4814
Chuck Grassley 202-224-3744.

https://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 02:44:50 pm »

Did that yesterday and might again today.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien