Author Topic: Roy Moore calls on GOP to 'take a stand' and support Kavanaugh amid sex abuse allegation  (Read 5805 times)

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Do the Moore supporters blame Sen. Cruz for Doug Jones in the Senate because Cruz withdrew his endorsement? That must be a million times more powerful than something we do here.

Not wading into your bigger picture question of the influence of this forum, but will offer that yes I certainly held Cruz's feet to the fire on numerous occasions over his lack of defense of Moore. I think I recently also brought it up again within the last couple of weeks.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline dfwgator

@edpc

No, that's not how we do it now.  Conservatives don't think anymore.  We kneejerk.  If there's an R behind the name, he's automatically innocent and any evidence to the contrary is a fake conspiracy.

Therefore, one accusation is exactly like the last.  See?  No need to think at all.

Just what laws did Moore break?  And right now if Moore was there instead of Jones, Kavanaugh would probably have already been confirmed.    But people just can't see the wood for the trees.

Offline skeeter

Gary Hart was in?? What the primaries against Democrats so that's probably who did it.

Just like the Kenyan saga with Barack really begins with the Hillary campaign.

Prolly. The DNCe done Hart like they woulda done Bernie if Bernie didn't stink of moth balls.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
You read far more into my message than I intended to say.

Fair enough.  Probably won’t be the last time.    :beer:
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline skeeter

Fair enough.  Probably won’t be the last time.    :beer:

Probably not. Expressing partially formed thoughts is an old habit of mine.

I think its genetic.

Silver Pines

@CatherineofAragon

Fixed it for you.

@Bigun

In view of that fact that you--a "supporter of the troops"--- smeared my dead veteran father over that sleazy little creep, I suggest you fix yourself.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
@Bigun

In view of that fact that you--a "supporter of the troops"--- smeared my dead veteran father over that sleazy little creep, I suggest you fix yourself.

@CatherineofAragon

I did no such thing but you will never understand it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Silver Pines

Just what laws did Moore break?  And right now if Moore was there instead of Jones, Kavanaugh would probably have already been confirmed.    But people just can't see the wood for the trees.

@dfwgator

Again, google any reputable conservative source.  Even the reports on his financial crookedness were swept aside as untrue, fake, etc.  You aren't going to be open to it now, anymore than you were then.  So don't expect me to do the work for you that any conservative should have done, and with an open mind.

This is what happens when politics becomes the driving force in peoples' lives.  They think that politicians can save them, so they get desperate and they align themselves with anything.  Deep down I suspect they know the truth.  I suspect that has something to do with the avalanche of squalling I get when I won't cave to the Moore apologists here.

Oh, well.  I ain't caving.

Silver Pines

@CatherineofAragon

I did no such thing but you will never understand it.

@Bigun

No, we'll have it straight.  I told you he was a dead battle veteran and offered you the chance to retract it.  You refused, and two posters egged you on and said "don't take it back, go for it."

One person, and I'm not going to drag him in, told you that your remark was beyond the pale and you should have been ashamed.  At the very least, be man enough to own it.

You see why my estimation of you is about on a level with whale crap.  And why I laugh when I see you portray yourself as a supporter of the troops.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Just want you know that because of you (avatar), I just started watching Turn: Washington Spies, again!    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@Bigun

No, we'll have it straight.  I told you he was a dead battle veteran and offered you the chance to retract it.  You refused, and two posters egged you on and said "don't take it back, go for it."

One person, and I'm not going to drag him in, told you that your remark was beyond the pale and you should have been ashamed.  At the very least, be man enough to own it.

You see why my estimation of you is about on a level with whale crap.  And why I laugh when I see you portray yourself as a supporter of the troops.

@CatherineofAragon

And any reader of that thread can readily ascertain why I have absolutely no regard for either what you think or feel about anything.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Silver Pines

Just want you know that because of you (avatar), I just started watching Turn: Washington Spies, again!    :beer:

@DCPatriot

Yes!!  I told you, Simcoe's influence is good, people just don't understand.   :laugh:

I think we might have to do a re-watch, too.

Offline dfwgator

@dfwgator

Again, google any reputable conservative source.  Even the reports on his financial crookedness were swept aside as untrue, fake, etc.  You aren't going to be open to it now, anymore than you were then.  So don't expect me to do the work for you that any conservative should have done, and with an open mind.

This is what happens when politics becomes the driving force in peoples' lives.  They think that politicians can save them, so they get desperate and they align themselves with anything.  Deep down I suspect they know the truth.  I suspect that has something to do with the avalanche of squalling I get when I won't cave to the Moore apologists here.

Never said I was a fan of Moore, but once he was the nominee, what was the best course?  Make sure Jones didn't get in, and then later on, they could have dealt with Moore, either in the next primary, or even beforehand if the shenanigans that you pointed out were discovered.   

Once the nominee is picked, you have to suck it up and go with it.     We don't have the luxury of always having the choice we want.

Silver Pines

@CatherineofAragon

And any reader of that thread can readily ascertain why I have absolutely no regard for either what you think or feel about anything.

Be proud, @Bigun.  Good job.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Silver Pines

Never said I was a fan of Moore, but once he was the nominee, what was the best course?  Make sure Jones didn't get in, and then later on, they could have dealt with Moore, either in the next primary, or even beforehand if the shenanigans that you pointed out were discovered.   

Once the nominee is picked, you have to suck it up and go with it.     We don't have the luxury of always having the choice we want.

@dfwgator

Well, yeah, if politics is the most important thing to you.  Others just say "screw this" and walk away.

Offline roamer_1

:amen:

One of the pillars of our republic, and why we are the envy of the world, was presumption of innocence and it is the State's responsibility to prove guilt. A confirmation isn't a court of law, but the trend towards an individual having to prove his innocence is unmistakable and frightening.

Right.

The heart of the people... That THEY no longer presume innocence... It is a stunning, awful stain on the American character. And worse than that, they know longer care about that stain.

Offline roamer_1

Party unity is the least of my concerns. I couldn't give a shit.
This is about right and wrong, and that is what matters.
Honor is an important thing - That it can be so easily sullied is a damn crying shame.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Party unity is the least of my concerns. I couldn't give a shit.
This is about right and wrong, and that is what matters.
Honor is an important thing - That it can be so easily sullied is a damn crying shame.

Well, the man was his own worst enemy in that campaign. The interview with Hannity was disastrous. After that, he dodged the press at every stop. When he did have people speak for him, they were the worst you could imagine. To top it all off, he tried to play down the idea he was bigoted by declaring he had one of them there jew attorneys.  Honor or not, it was a debacle.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline bilo

Right.

The heart of the people... That THEY no longer presume innocence... It is a stunning, awful stain on the American character. And worse than that, they know longer care about that stain.

Individual liberties will be gone and replaced with a "social credit score" (like what is being established in China right now) pretty soon if this continues.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline aligncare

I don’t care if, in his personal life, my auto mechanic wears a latex cat suit and gets off on kittens licking his toes, if he can keep my baby running smoothly, I don’t care.

If I need the best heart surgeon around to give me a second chance at a good quality life, I could care less if his personal morality in sexual matters falls short of perfect – as long as his skills at his work are exemplary.

Similarly, politicians don’t need to be choirboys to administer to the duties of government. Personal sexual morality has nothing to do with a person doing his job properly.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

My first take was "why is Moore trying to taint Kavanaugh?  Does he have no clue what his reputation is?"  But after reading the comments I now realize Moore is the poster child for today's GOP pride.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
@dfwgator

Yes, please google Roy Moore over a job he did while NOT on the Supreme Court, pm me if you want some links. Over about a 10 year period Moore as President and consultant (and his wife) basically ran The Foundation (non-profit) group as chairman/president/co-founder/legal consultant. So basically it was a 100k a year job while not in office. They offered him 180k a year (same as he made as SC job) but only could pay him what they brought in above expenses (including buying their building).

Now the hit piece from the Washington Post was just that, Moore basically ran an organization that promised to pay him when they could. Thus Moore did not get paid close to half a million dollars for those years, thus didn't report it as income. The WP of course said that was wrong, but you now see they aren't exactly pressuring the point because they were wrong. You are only taxed when you get paid (cash in hand). But nevertheless, some here took the bait from the WP hook line and sinker.

But if you disclose payments and pay taxes on IOUs that are not paid, feel free to complain. Right now, the totals paid for 10 years of work add up to 572,875 (and the IOUs of over a half million still not paid)... thus not reported. 572,875 divided by 9 (to be on safe side instead of 10 years) is under 64k per year.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Axeslinger

I don’t care if, in his personal life, my auto mechanic wears a latex cat suit and gets off on kittens licking his toes, if he can keep my baby running smoothly, I don’t care.

If I need the best heart surgeon around to give me a second chance at a good quality life, I could care less if his personal morality in sexual matters falls short of perfect – as long as his skills at his work are exemplary.

Similarly, politicians don’t need to be choirboys to administer to the duties of government. Personal sexual morality has nothing to do with a person doing his job properly.

@aligncare
Absolutely ridiculous comparison.   Your mechanic and heart surgeon don’t have the ability to create laws that can infringe, degrade or destroy your moral standing, or send your loved ones to fight and die for causes just or unjust.

Your statement is patently ridiculous and sadly explains some things.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 10:53:25 pm by Axeslinger »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald