Author Topic: Christine Blasey Ford Makes Ridiculous Demands Before Testifying  (Read 7291 times)

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Re: Christine Blasey Ford Makes Ridiculous Demands Before Testifying
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2018, 06:26:34 pm »
The bad faith here is appalling, both on the part of Blasey Ford and the Dems.   The accusation was made in June, and Feinstein sat on it during the entire hearings, and never even raised it in her office interviews with Judge K.   Ford has framed the matter in exactly the hysterical terms - attempted rape! attempted murder! - necessary to make the event disqualifying if true.  Ford says she took a lie detector test in August at her lawyer's office:  why would she have done so if, as the Dems contend, she was reluctant to come forward until Feinstein leaked the matter after the hearing was concluded?       And now that the Committee has offered her the opportunity to state her case under oath, she is dithering and demanding absurd concessions such as an FBI investigation - and her justification for doing so is identical to the Dems partisan motivation to delay a vote until past the midterm elections.

Ford and the Dems are obviously conspiring to achieve the Dems' partisan ends.   This is no quest for justice.   

@Jazzhead, Ford told the Washington Post and Feinstein, anonymously.  Feinstein could not tell anyone without outing Ford.  The Washington Post finally did leak the information.

Do I wish Ford had been ready to come forward sooner?  Yes!  Am I angry that the Post gave the story to the Intercept?  Yes.  Do I blame Feinstein for not outing her constituent?  No.

Do I blame Ford for not coming forward sooner?  No.  She was willing to let it lie, until journalists starting asking questions about it.

I agree, the bad faith on both sides is awful.  Neither Kavanaugh nor Ford will be free of this.  An investigation might have at least given it finality, along with their testimony.  The FBI could have spent three days on this, like they did with Anita Hill.  Then they testify next week, and the vote is held.  As it is now, both of them are smeared, and Kavanaugh probably faces impeachment.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2018, 06:40:08 pm »
@Jazzhead, Ford told the Washington Post and Feinstein, anonymously.  Feinstein could not tell anyone without outing Ford.  The Washington Post finally did leak the information.

Do I wish Ford had been ready to come forward sooner?  Yes!  Am I angry that the Post gave the story to the Intercept?  Yes.  Do I blame Feinstein for not outing her constituent?  No.

Do I blame Ford for not coming forward sooner?  No.  She was willing to let it lie, until journalists starting asking questions about it.

I agree, the bad faith on both sides is awful.  Neither Kavanaugh nor Ford will be free of this.  An investigation might have at least given it finality, along with their testimony.  The FBI could have spent three days on this, like they did with Anita Hill.  Then they testify next week, and the vote is held.  As it is now, both of them are smeared, and Kavanaugh probably faces impeachment.

What bad faith do you see on Kavanaugh's part,  @LauraTXNM ?   He was unfairly blindsided by the charge, which provided no specific details as to time and place,  and seeks to declare under penalty of perjury that he is innocent.  The damn thing's a set up!   The Republicans have nevertheless given Ford the opportunity to state her case under oath, either privately to the Committee or before the public - why is she dithering and demanding concessions other than to drag things out as the Dems want?   Why should there be an FBI investigation when she's yet to say a single word under penalty of perjury (and indeed her original letter to her Congresswoman has yet to be released in its entirety)?   
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 06:42:22 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2018, 06:49:11 pm »
What bad faith do you see on Kavanaugh's part,  @LauraTXNM ?   He was unfairly blindsided by the charge, which provided no specific details as to time and place,  and seeks to declare under penalty of perjury that he is innocent.  The damn thing's a set up!   The Republicans have nevertheless given Ford the opportunity to state her case under oath, either privately to the Committee or before the public - why is she dithering and demanding concessions other than to drag things out as the Dems want?   Why should there be an FBI investigation when she's yet to say a single word under penalty of perjury (and indeed her original letter to her Congresswoman has yet to be released in its entirety)?

I meant bad faith on the part of the Dems and Reps. 

And at this point, Kavanaugh will always be known as an attempted rapist and Ford as an hysterical liar. 
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 06:55:09 pm »
I meant bad faith on the part of the Dems and Reps. 

And at this point, Kavanaugh will always be known as an attempted rapist and Ford as an hysterical liar.

Not by me he won't!  And apparently, I'm not alone!  https://www.redstate.com/brandon_morse/2018/09/21/cnn-hosts-womens-panel-kavanaugh-accusations-doesnt-go-planned/
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2018, 06:59:43 pm »
Not by me he won't!  And apparently, I'm not alone!  https://www.redstate.com/brandon_morse/2018/09/21/cnn-hosts-womens-panel-kavanaugh-accusations-doesnt-go-planned/

You know what disgusted me in that Republican Florida women's Panel?  I understand believing Kavanaugh, and I understand thinking it happened too long ago.  But at least one of them said it wasn't a problem to hold someone down and try to take her clothes off.  If my son did that, I would never think was normal or okay.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2018, 07:03:10 pm »
The bad faith here is appalling, both on the part of Blasey Ford and the Dems.   The accusation was made in June, and Feinstein sat on it during the entire hearings, and never even raised it in her office interviews with Judge K.   Ford has framed the matter in exactly the hysterical terms - attempted rape! attempted murder! - necessary to make the event disqualifying if true.  Ford says she took a lie detector test in August at her lawyer's office:  why would she have done so if, as the Dems contend, she was reluctant to come forward until Feinstein leaked the matter after the hearing was concluded?       And now that the Committee has offered her the opportunity to state her case under oath, she is dithering and demanding absurd concessions such as an FBI investigation - and her justification for doing so is identical to the Dems partisan motivation to delay a vote until past the midterm elections.

Ford and the Dems are obviously conspiring to achieve the Dems' partisan ends.   This is no quest for justice.   

Question, what happens if K is seated after the court is in session? say Oct 5th instead of Oct 1st? 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2018, 07:03:14 pm »
You know what disgusted me in that Republican Florida women's Panel?  I understand believing Kavanaugh, and I understand thinking it happened too long ago.  But at least one of them said it wasn't a problem to hold someone down and try to take her clothes off.  If my son did that, I would never think was normal or okay.

You know what disgusts me? It people like you and Karmala Harris!

Kamala Harris: ‘Reasonable Doubt’ Standard Does Not Apply to Kavanaugh; Ford’s Sex Assault Charge Does Not Need to Be Proven

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/09/kamala-harris-reasonable-doubt-standard-does-not-apply-to-kavanaugh-fords-sex-assault-charge-does-not-need-to-be-proven/
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2018, 07:03:33 pm »

And at this point, Kavanaugh will always be known as an attempted rapist . . . .

Only among the rabid partisans.   That's why this will backfire on the Dems.   Folks have a visceral reaction to perceived unfairness.   Kavanaugh was blindsided by uncorroborated charges from his teenage years, following decades of honorable service and, by all indications,  the living of an honorable life.   His family is now on the receiving end of obscenities and threats.   This is no way to encourage good people to enter public service.   And this will unite Republicans and conservatives to turn out for a mid-year election like nothing else. 

Offline jpsb

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2018, 07:05:11 pm »

Do you know that for a fact? But if Ford gave it to the WP then she wanted it out there.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2018, 07:07:18 pm »
Only among the rabid partisans.   That's why this will backfire on the Dems.   Folks have a visceral reaction to perceived unfairness.   Kavanaugh was blindsided by uncorroborated charges from his teenage years, following decades of honorable service and, by all indications,  the living of an honorable life.   His family is now on the receiving end of obscenities and threats.   This is no way to encourage good people to enter public service.   And this will unite Republicans and conservatives to turn out for a mid-year election like nothing else.

Agreed.  And basically everything you wrote will apply equally to people who believe Ford.  (I will note that Kavanaugh seems to have other issues with gambling and lying that undercut his record of sterling service.  I suppose Ford might also have professional or personal issues.)

Offline jpsb

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2018, 07:07:51 pm »
Only among the rabid partisans.   

:thumbsup:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2018, 07:09:59 pm »

Doesn't it resonate even a bit with you that there is nothing in Kavanaugh's adult life that suggests that sort of behavior?   If there's one thing that's been apparent from all the #metoo cases is that rapey behavior is a pattern.   Once a creep, always a creep.   But there's none of that  with Judge Kavanaugh.   This is, in the words of Clarence Thomas, the high-tech lynching of an honorable man.   

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2018, 07:10:32 pm »
Do you know that for a fact? But if Ford gave it to the WP then she wanted it out there.

My understanding is, she gave both the WashPost and Feinstein the letter as an anonymous account, to be used as corroboration if other accounts came up.  Naive or foolish?  Possibly.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2018, 07:10:55 pm »
I will note that Kavanaugh seems to have other issues with gambling and lying that undercut his record of sterling service.

@LauraTXNM

Do you have anything to back up that assertion?

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2018, 07:11:13 pm »
@Jazzhead BTW, how's your leg?  I tried to PM you.  I hope you're doing well!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2018, 07:14:14 pm »
@Jazzhead BTW, how's your leg?  I tried to PM you.  I hope you're doing well!

@LauraTXNM

My leg is getting better - thanks for asking.   I'm still using a cane for stairs and curbs,  but for the most part I'm back doing the things I was doing before.   

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2018, 07:15:13 pm »
@LauraTXNM

Do you have anything to back up that assertion?

I can go back and get sources later if you'd like, but I don't think it's anything new you haven't read.  It's been commonly discussed (and argued about) whether he lied about receiving Democrats' emails about earlier judicial confirmations; and there were questions about his gambling debts.  Republicans have argued this stuff isn't accurate,  it Democrat's think it is.  They were already considering impeachment over it.  The R line has been that he's impeccable; the D line has been that he's blackmailable, etc.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2018, 07:16:30 pm »
My understanding is, she gave both the WashPost and Feinstein the letter as an anonymous account, to be used as corroboration if other accounts came up.  Naive or foolish?  Possibly.

I think you are incorrect, the letter was hand carried to Sen Feinstien. Sen Feinstein or someone at DOJ (surprise, surprise) then leaked it to the WP. At least that is my understand, I could be wrong.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2018, 07:18:34 pm »
And I want a puppy
And I want a pony, dyed like a rainbow
And I want a new car, like The Price is Right
And I want $100,000 in cash up front
And I want my own parking space
And I want free dental for life
And I want...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2018, 07:18:51 pm »
I can go back and get sources later if you'd like, but I don't think it's anything new you haven't read.  It's been commonly discussed (and argued about) whether he lied about receiving Democrats' emails about earlier judicial confirmations; and there were questions about his gambling debts.  Republicans have argued this stuff isn't accurate,  it Democrat's think it is.  They were already considering impeachment over it.  The R line has been that he's impeccable; the D line has been that he's blackmailable, etc.

The only thing I've heard is the Rats saying he lied under oath.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2018, 08:04:49 pm »
I think you are incorrect, the letter was hand carried to Sen Feinstien. Sen Feinstein or someone at DOJ (surprise, surprise) then leaked it to the WP. At least that is my understand, I could be wrong.

Here's one article about all this: "According to the Post, Ford contacted the publication through a tip line in July when it “became clear” Kavanaugh might become President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court pick and contacted her congresswoman, Democrat Anna Eshoo, around the same time. In late July, she contacted Feinstein."

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/9/16/17866988/brett-kavanaugh-christine-blasey-ford-washington-post

I think Feinstein was put in an untenable position by receiving the letter and being asked to keep it confidential.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2018, 08:07:04 pm »
The only thing I've heard is the Rats saying he lied under oath.

And remember all the stuff about the sports tickets and the debts?  I haven't paid a lot of attention, but there was discussion about unsuitability and impeachment before the Ford question appeared. 

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2018, 08:15:55 pm »

How does one make an accusation of a criminal event of 32 years ago stick by doing it anonymously? Especially in a congressional setting.  But with that said, DiFi should have brought it up in the closed sessions, of which they had multiple times.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline mrclose

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2018, 08:21:01 pm »
I agree!  And just as the FBI investigation of Anita Hill came up inconclusive, the FBI might not find anything here.  But the attempt is necessary.

Why don't some of you folks read all of the posts before beclowning yourselves?

Thomas and Hill were both government employees when the 'alleged' assault took place.
That made it a Federal investigation and appropriate!

Kavanaugh and the accuser were high school kids!

That would have been a State responsibility to investigate ... If it had been reported Before 36 years had passed!
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2018, 08:23:12 pm »
Why don't some of you folks read all of the posts before beclowning yourselves?

Thomas and Hill were both government employees when the 'alleged' assault took place.
That made it a Federal investigation and appropriate!

Kavanaugh and the accuser were high school kids!

That would have been a State responsibility to investigate ... If it had been reported Before 36 years had passed!

@mrclose The investigation is background research for an applicant for a federal job.  It's not about whether he was a federal employee when it happened.  The FBI investigation is standard.