Author Topic: Ford lawyer proposes testifying next Thursday  (Read 1966 times)

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Re: Ford lawyer proposes testifying next Thursday
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2018, 08:10:55 pm »

So a few precepts of our legal system, bolded above, go out the window with you?

Why?

People in  courtrooms every day, get to "confront their accuser?"

People incourtrooms every day, are represented by attorneys.

Did you see the5 women on CNN? The left is increasingly coming across as dishonest, manipulative.

The Republicans on the committee say they just want a hearing, rather than a trial.  No witnesses, no investigation, just them asking questions to satisfy themselves.  Apparently they don't think either party needs to have a lawyer in the hearing with them.  The only "trial-like" element they seem to want is a professional prosecutor.  I think the senators should be able to ask their own questions.

I'd prefer a more "standard" judicial proceeding.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2018, 08:12:24 pm »
@truth_seeker  Just to reiterate, I think it should be more like a standard judicial proceeding.  Everyone has their lawyer, everyone can call witnesses, etc.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2018, 08:47:45 pm »
Neither person should have a lawyer.  Neither person should hear what the other person says.  It doesn't matter who goes first:

Both should and will have an attorney present.  Both should and will hear what the other person says, especially since the accused has the right to hear his/her accuser.  And, yes, it does matter who goes first.  The plaintiff goes first, the defendant hears all testimony so he or she knows what he or she is being accused of.  The defendant testifies last.

@LauraTXNM

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 09:51:21 pm »
The Republicans on the committee say they just want a hearing, rather than a trial.  No witnesses, no investigation, just them asking questions to satisfy themselves.  Apparently they don't think either party needs to have a lawyer in the hearing with them.  The only "trial-like" element they seem to want is a professional prosecutor.  I think the senators should be able to ask their own questions.

I'd prefer a more "standard" judicial proceeding.

I would prefer no procedure.
The lateness of the charges, in the normal legal context, take on a hyper partisan nature.

In my opinion, this is largely a partisaan concoction.

I think about the McMartin trial, where it urned out children were "implanted" with false memories.

I think this woman is motivaated by people saying to her, "you are our only hope." She knows plenty about psychology, and if asked, would do her part."

This is another"high tech lynching," to quote Justice Thomas.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2018, 10:31:46 pm »
Laura wrote in Reply 21 above:
"Neither person should have a lawyer.  Neither person should hear what the other person says.  It doesn't matter who goes first: Person A, Person B, Person A further questions, Person B further questions, etc.  Public and televised, no investigation, no witnesses, it's not a trial, no one needs counsel."

Have a dose of Fishrrman's credo:
Reality is what it is. It is not what we believe to be.