Author Topic: Cynicism: Democrats Insist on Delaying New Kavanaugh Hearing They Demanded, After Sitting on Allegat  (Read 210 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Cynicism: Democrats Insist on Delaying New Kavanaugh Hearing They Demanded, After Sitting on Allegation for Months

Guy Benson
|
 @guypbenson
|
Posted: Sep 19, 2018 1:05 PM

As I've said many times over, I do not know whether Brett Kavanaugh's accuser is acting in good or bad faith, nor does virtually anyone else.  She could be lying.  He could be lying.  Or they could both be telling what they firmly believe to be the truth, based on an array of faulty, hazy or false memories.  What matters now is how we assess the available evidence, of which there is precious little.  Earlier, I laid out my own attempt at erecting some reasonable, if imperfect, metrics for doing just that.  Setting aside the veracity of Prof. Ford's unsubstantiated claim, I very much harbor increasing suspicions about the motives and behavior of Senate Democrats. 

Recall that Sen. Dianne Feinstein -- who just yesterday admitted that she doesn't know if Ford is being entirely truthful -- has had Ford's allegations in her possession since July, well before Kavanaugh's confirmation hearings were even scheduled.  Over the summer, she reportedly told her colleagues that the accusations were too distant to merit serious scrutiny.  Then, after the hearings concluded, someone (certainly a Democrat) leaked the existence of the accuser's letter, apparently violating Ford's explicit wish to remain anonymous.  This development inevitably led to the emergence of Ford's claims, conveniently timed to detonate during the very short window between the hearings and the Senate Judiciary Committee vote.  Republicans and Democrats alike seem to be frustrated with Feinstein's handling of the entire matter.

With the allegation out in the open, Democrats loudly declared that Ford be allowed to make her allegations publicly, on the record, and under oath.  They demanded new hearings.  Republicans, who control the committee, promptly agreed, setting a date for next Monday.  In doing so, they abided by the panel's rule dictating that members must be notified of a new hearing one week in advance.  Democrats responded by pivoting to a new complaint: The hearing they said must happen is now happening...too soon.  The FBI needs to investigate the issue before any additional steps are taken, they now say.  The accuser's attorneys are echoing Democrats' new stance, though they still have not entirely ruled out Ford's participation in Monday's scheduled session (remember, her primary lawyer went on national television earlier this week and said her client was prepared to testify).  Ed Morrissey raises another problem with the actions of the accuser's representatives:

more
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2018/09/19/cynicism-democrats-insist-on-delaying-new-kavanaugh-hearing-they-demanded-after-sitting-on-allegation-for-months-n2520464
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34