Author Topic: Prosecutors use grand jury as investigation of Andrew McCabe intensifies  (Read 484 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Prosecutors use grand jury as investigation of Andrew McCabe intensifies

Federal prosecutors have for months been using a grand jury to investigate former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe — an indication the probe into whether he misled officials exploring his role in a controversial media disclosure has intensified, two people familiar with the matter said.

The grand jury has summoned more than one witness, the people said, and the case is ongoing. The people declined to identify those who had been called to testify.

The presence of the grand jury shows prosecutors are treating the matter seriously, locking in the accounts of witnesses who might later have to testify at a trial. But such panels are sometimes used only as investigative tools, and it remains unclear if McCabe will ultimately be charged.

A spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office in D.C., which has been handling the probe, declined to comment.

Michael Bromwich, a lawyer for McCabe, said in a statement after this report was published online that he had been confident McCabe would not be charged, absent “inappropriate pressure from high levels of the Administration.”

“Unfortunately, such pressure has continued, with the President targeting Mr. McCabe in numerous additional tweets,” Bromwich said. The lawyer also raised questions about the timing of the news report on the grand jury.

“Today’s leak about a procedural step taken more than a month ago — occurring in the midst of a disastrous week for the President — is a sad and poorly veiled attempt to try to distract the American public,” Bromwich said. “We remain confident that a thorough review of the facts and circumstances related to this matter will demonstrate that there is no basis on which criminal charges should be brought.”

[Inspector general report faults Andrew McCabe for unauthorized disclosure of information, misleading investigators]

The investigation into McCabe is as politically charged as they come, and a decision to prosecute him — or not — will draw significant criticism either way.

Excerpt: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/prosecutors-use-grand-jury-as-investigation-of-andrew-mccabe-intensifies/2018/09/06/aa922b2e-b137-11e8-9a6a-565d92a3585d_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c3a603b1b1b3
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

Re: Prosecutors use grand jury as investigation of Andrew McCabe intensifies
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 05:26:56 pm »
@endicom @skeeter

I understand the wheels of justice grind finely, but I wonder if they can't speed things up a bit? What happens to the grand jury if the Rats take either or both ends of Capitol Hill?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:35:17 pm by skeeter »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 05:41:00 pm »
That SHOULD have no effect on a Grand Jury proceeding at all but, with things as they currently are, your guess is as good as mine.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 05:43:59 pm »
I understand the wheels of justice grind finely, but I wonder if they can't speed things up a bit? What happens to the grand jury if the Rats take either or both ends of Capitol Hill?

Nothing happens, either way.  This is an investigation by a branch office of the DoJ.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 05:50:52 pm »
Nothing happens, either way.  This is an investigation by a branch office of the DoJ.

Yeah! And under the current circumstances that troubles me greatly but where else can it go?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:52:06 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 06:29:31 pm »
I saw it suggested, that Jeff Sessions was the "insurance policy" or "firewall."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln