Author Topic: Congress Just Passed a $150 Billion Spending Package Without Any Consideration for Looming Trillion-  (Read 671 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
In a sane world, the news that America will run a trillion-dollar deficit in the next fiscal year would cause at least enough of a stir in Congress to make lawmakers at least a little nervous about their budget votes.
After all, it was support for runaway spending and the specter of a trillion-dollar deficit that cost lawmakers on both sides of the aisle their congressional seats during the conservative Tea Party uprising less than a decade ago. Now that the Congressional Budget Office says we are on course for a return to trillion-dollar deficits—and not during an economic downturn, but at the peak of the business cycle—it would seem appropriate for lawmakers on both sides of the aisle to be wary about their role in pushing the country across that symbolic threshold.
Instead, it's quite the opposite. Congress just passed a $150 billion spending bill—the first of three to be considered in the coming days—with bipartisan support and without significant opposition from the leadership of either party. The bill passed 377-20 in the House on Thursday afternoon, after clearing the Senate with a 92-5 vote on Wednesday.....

https://reason.com/blog/2018/09/13/congress-just-passed-a-150-spending-pack

Offline LMAO

But is this “good” spending or “bad?”
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

LOL!

It's gonna be beyond ugly when nature's law of economics reasserts itself once all the artificial thrust runs out of fuel and this airship of fools comes crashing to earth at terminal velocity.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

When you are as deep in debt as we are, what qualifies as good spending?

Offline LMAO

When you are as deep in debt as we are, what qualifies as good spending?

Spending that I like, of course.  :laugh:

But in all seriousness, that is why there’s no will to cut spending. The energy is spent instead fighting over “good” spending verses “ bad.” And there’s no shortage of people who will raise holy hell when “their” spending program faces cuts. So, being humans, Congressmen and women just take the path of least resistance and continue spending, borrowing, and encouraging more printing

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
A Democracy/Republic cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It will only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits with other people's money, the result which eventually collapses society, because the loose fiscal policy ensuing destroys economic wealth and property via debt, which as Democracies in the past have shown, is always followed by a dictatorship. 

Paraphrased from DeToqueville.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

The bill passed 377-20 in the House on Thursday afternoon, after clearing the Senate with a 92-5 vote on Wednesday.

There ain't dimes worth of difference between the 2 parties.

Offline darroll

Now Trump can veto it if he wants?
The last one had pay increases for our food stamp Military.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

There ain't dimes worth of difference between the 2 parties.

Nope. Not a cent worth of difference.

3 Trillion spent in February and March.

800 Billion last month (supposedly for more military)

150 Billion spendthrift package now.

Republicans and Democrats alike are spending us into complete oblivion.