Author Topic: ‘There’s a deal to be had’: Graham could revive immigration reform as chairman  (Read 558 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
‘There’s a deal to be had’: Graham could revive immigration reform as chairman

If Lindsey Graham leads the Senate Judiciary Committee next year, he would be well positioned to craft a compromise on immigration — but first he has to win Trump over.

By BURGESS EVERETT and ELANA SCHOR
  | 08/02/2018 05:05 AM EDT

Lindsey Graham has painstakingly developed a chummy relationship with President Donald Trump — but he may soon be the Senate’s point person on an issue that sharply divides them: immigration.

The South Carolina Republican is in line to take over the Senate Judiciary Committee next year after a potential game of musical chairs in committee leadership. And though Graham’s centrist leanings on immigration don’t jibe with Trump’s hard-line politics, his growing closeness to a president he once openly loathed may prove the best hope for reform in the Trump era.

After a 2016 campaign spent predicting that the GOP would be “destroyed” if Trump was its nominee, these days Graham has become one of the president’s loudest defenders.

That’s given Graham real cachet with Trump, even as he hasn’t shrunk from tangling with the White House on immigration and seeking out bipartisan compromise. Should the GOP keep control of the Senate next year, the deal-making senator may find himself in an unusually high-profile position to sway the president and the Republican Party.

The shift would require current Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) to swap his gavel for the Finance Committee chairmanship. And a growing number of Republican sources say it’s likely Grassley will jump, leaving Graham to preside over the powerful committee with jurisdiction on the nation’s borders.......

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/02/lindsey-graham-senate-trump-757329

Nearly half way through his presidency and it is possible Trump may be positioning himself to turn on his voters on the matter of immigration.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 08:53:34 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline DB

Is it really all that different than "a big door in the wall"? That once they left they could come back? "Keeping the good ones"? He's just expediting all that...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 09:11:06 pm by DB »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Quote from: Sanguine link=topic=86928c595c811982ac[/img

I think Lindsey is a clinger and a hanger on.  With McCain gone, he's moved to Trump.  I actually think that is a good decision both for him and for the country.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
I think Lindsey is a clinger and a hanger on.  With McCain gone, he's moved to Trump.  I actually think that is a good decision both for him and for the country.

Should be a theme song.  "Its great if your gang of 8"
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline skeeter

I've always suspected Lindsey was buttering up Trump in order to spring another 'immigration reform' scam on him. I just don't trust the guy.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I've always suspected Lindsey was buttering up Trump in order to spring another 'immigration reform' scam on him. I just don't trust the guy.

Trust?  No.  He's not trustworthy and I read somewhere that his move to Trump is partly because he's running for re-election and not all that sure of his based.

But anything he can do to help in the meantime is ok with me.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Offline Concerned

"A deal to be had"?  Where's a "great deal-maker" when you need one?   *****rollingeyes*****
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sanguine

Are you handling snakes?

No, are you, @TomSea?

Let me know if you need me to explain that graphic to you in reference to this thread.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 12:03:29 am by Sanguine »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
"A deal to be had."

Similar to the deal I have with my neighbor:  Stop throwing your trash over my fence or I'll stomp your azz.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: