Author Topic: [BRKG]Massive Series of Explosions In Massachusetts, 60-Plus Structures On Fire  (Read 1491 times)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Breaking news:

At least 39 buildings in Massachusetts hit by series of gas explosions

Emergency services in Massachusetts are responding to a series of gas explosions in the Lawrence area, affecting at least 39 buildings and possibly more, local officials say. There are reports of injuries.

The incident began at about 5 p.m. ET on Thursday when dozens of buildings in Lawrence, Andover and North Andover were hit by explosions. They were likely caused by over-pressured gas valves.

Twitter feeds are saying over 100 buildings involved.  Evacuations ordered across the board.  There are rumors that valves were 'tampered with' and this is why they cannot contain the overpressure.  Gas company telling anyone that has service to get out of their homes immediately.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The fruits and nuts will be outin force  with conspiracy shit to make it sound nefarious. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
You can claim fruits and nuts all you like. Over 100 separate fires and explosions have occurred.

Regulator fails across the entire grid being mentioned.

The regulators at each service drop are supposed to be able to accommodate pressure spikes from the supply lines preventing catastrophic, simultaneous failures.

They have catastrophic, simultaneous failures. Apparently the emergency shut-offs in the feeder lines as well as the distribution pipes failed.  Gas company says they have to slowly bleed off the gas from the lines.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:12:41 pm by INVAR »

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
You can claim fruits and nuts all you like. Over 100 separate fires and explosions have occurred.

The regulators at each service drop are supposed to be able to accommodate pressure spikes from the supply lines preventing catastrophic, simultaneous failures.

They have catastrophic, simultaneous failures. Apparently the emergency shut-offs in the feeder lines as well as the distribution pipes failed.  Gas company says they have to slowly bleed off the gas from the lines.

Shit happens.  And you don't know why this happened.   

But go for it.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Shit happens.  And you don't know why this happened.   

But go for it.

I'm just reporting what is being said.

I did not opine a why.  The facts are that the regulators have failed across the board that are supposed to prevent cascading issues like this in the event of overpressure.

Which is the 'what'  the media and the gas company reported some 30 minutes into the event.  The 'why' has not been offered.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

I did not opine a why.  The facts are that the regulators have failed across the board that are supposed to prevent cascading issues like this in the event of overpressure.

Which is the 'what'  the media and the gas company reported some 30 minutes into the event.  The 'why' has not been offered.

Just keep reporting...any updates?

Fox is about to cover it
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline verga

BKMK
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Just keep reporting...any updates?

Fox is about to cover it

Local Fox station up there reporting 70 confirmed fires and explosions. They are canceling schools up there tomorrow.

Online Wingnut

Understood.
I would hate for this to turn into  "Fire can't melt steel"  9/11 type thing.

Offline verga

I realize that different areas have different regulations, but the ones I have seen have a dual set-up. This is supposed to be off the main trunk/ feeder line and a "local" one at the regulator.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Understood.
I would hate for this to turn into  "Fire can't melt steel"  9/11 type thing.

Fire did not have to melt the steel in the Twin Towers.

Just soften it from the heat.

Load, weight and gravity took care of the rest.

Online Wingnut

Fire did not have to melt the steel in the Twin Towers.

Just soften it from the heat.

Load, weight and gravity took care of the rest.

Jesus Christ, do you have to over analyze everything. 

I was referring to dumbass 9/11 deniers.  Plain and simple.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Jesus Christ, do you have to over analyze everything. 

I was referring to dumbass 9/11 deniers.  Plain and simple.

I took your comment to be pointed and colored with the insinuation that I was such - otherwise... why make it at all?

Online Wingnut

I took your comment to be pointed and colored with the insinuation that I was such - otherwise... why make it at all?

Yeah your right.  It was meant and directed at you.  It's always about you INVAR.   You are a legend in your own mind. 

Offline thackney

Likely a double failure of upstream higher pressure regulator and a pressure relief.

I had a couple decades mostly working in the pipeline industry.  Sure there are required maintenance checks.  Often they are done.  Sometimes not at all.   Several folks are at fault.  I've been on the emergency repairs of similar mistakes, but usually in an industrial site, not residential.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
It is bizarre just by logic that several over-pressure valves would fail simultaneously and on top of that several emergency cutoff valves failed simultaneously. If this is indeed the case, and if indeed there was no deliberate tampering, I can see several firings along with several lawsuits in the future.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline thackney

It is bizarre just by logic that several over-pressure valves would fail simultaneously and on top of that several emergency cutoff valves failed simultaneously. If this is indeed the case, and if indeed there was no deliberate tampering, I can see several firings along with several lawsuits in the future.

It would not take several, it could just be the main incoming to the system, both the pressure cut and the overpressure.  Then all the downstream regulators are overwhelmed.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Mass evacuations ordered:

"Residents in the affected towns of Lawrence/North Andover/Andover who have gas service from Columbia Gas should evacuate their homes immediately if they have not already done so," state police tweeted. "Gas lines are currently being depressurized by the company it will take some time. National Grid also turned off power to all customers in Lawrence, North Andover and Andover.

Interesting tidbits:

“The Columbia Gas company announced earlier Thursday that it would be upgrading gas lines in neighborhoods across the state, including the area where the explosions happened. It was not clear whether work was happening there Thursday, and a spokeswoman did not immediately comment.”

Union dispute led to lockout of union gas workers since June

National Grid began a lockout of its unionized gas workers in Massachusetts on Monday after months of failed contract negotiations.

About 1,100 gas workers employed by National Grid in Massachusetts have been locked out of work beginning Monday after months of attempted contract negotiations. The international power company and its unionized gas workers failed to reach an agreement on issues regarding employee health care, pension cuts and retirement, overtime compensation and outsourcing work to contractors.

Steel unions Local 12003 and Local 12012 said National Grid failed to negotiate "a fair contract that recognizes the crucial services these workers provide across Massachusetts."

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Union dispute led to lockout of union gas workers since June

Hmmm...sabotage or recently hired workers who are careless...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Hmmm...sabotage or recently hired workers who are careless...

My first thought as well. Let's say there is a lockout at the paper-mill and then suddenly all the boilers start breaking down, anyone would scratch their heads over that.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Prayers up seems like....I don’t know I hope no one died
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Reporting a death of an 18 year old teen who had a chimney land on his car from a house that exploded and reports of widespread looting now that power has been cut from the area completely.

@Breaking911
Residents In The Area Who Are Serviced By 'Columbia Gas' Company Should EVACUATE THE TOWN NOW - Police https://twitter.com/Breaking911/stat...67472266944512 …

Verified account

@Daily_Star
Follow Follow @Daily_Star
More
'This is not over' fire chief warns of chaos for another WEEK after gas explosions #Massachusetts #Lawrence
#Andover #NorthAndover https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/wor...re-latest-news …