Author Topic: China can’t always get what it wants in Thailand  (Read 389 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
China can’t always get what it wants in Thailand
« on: September 13, 2018, 02:08:21 am »
Asia Times
Shawn W. Crispin Bangkok, September 12, 2018 5:22 PM (UTC+8)

[excerpt]

http://www.atimes.com/article/china-cant-always-get-what-it-wants-in-thailand/

Long before BRI projects were seen as sovereignty-eroding debt traps, Bangkok’s military rulers were tactfully resisting the terms and reach of Beijing’s advances

When Chinese Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli attended last year’s royal cremation for deceased Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej, the high-level official raised an undiplomatic fuss when told new King Maha Vajiralongkorn was unavailable for a private audience because of his central role in the sacred ceremony.

The Chinese official aired further displeasure when told neither was Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-ocha available for a one-on-one meeting during the elaborate event, attended by global dignitaries to pay condolences and last respects to a monarch many Thais viewed as semi-divine.

Zhang was only placated after Mandarin-speaking Princess Sirindhorn, Bhumibol’s daughter, agreed to interpret part of the ceremony from his diplomatic viewing box, though the palace had earlier forbade simultaneous translation of the chants in line with historic protocol, according to Thai officials familiar with the events who requested anonymity.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline endicom

Re: China can’t always get what it wants in Thailand
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 02:28:29 am »

I've read that Malaysia has cancelled some Chinese projects. I think that more countries are seeing the Trojan Horse that is Chinese investment.