Author Topic: House Republican pushes medical examinations for Supreme Court justices (Issa)  (Read 1123 times)

Offline corbe

House Republican pushes medical examinations for Supreme Court justices

By Lydia Wheeler - 09/11/18 05:38 PM EDT   

A House Republican is pushing a batch of reforms for the Supreme Court that would require justices to undergo periodic medical examinations.

Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), who chairs the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Courts, Intellectual Property and the Internet, introduced a bill on Tuesday that aims to make the federal courts more transparent.

Under Issa's Judiciary Reforms, Organization and Operational Modernization, or Room Act, federal justices and judges age 70 and younger would be required to undergo a medical evaluation every five years. Those older than 70 would have to be examined every two years, and those 81 and older would have to go every year.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/regulation/administration/406154-house-republican-pushes-medical-examinations-for-supreme-court
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
"Psst. Somebody wake up Ruth."
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Sounds okay, but how about Congress? I can think of a number whose mental health is highly questionable. I wonder if there's a reason why democrat and dementia both start with the same three letters :pondering:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

A House Republican is pushing a batch of reforms for the Supreme Court that would require justices to undergo periodic medical examinations.

Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), who chairs the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Courts, Intellectual Property and the Internet, introduced a bill on Tuesday that aims to make the federal courts more transparent.

Under Issa's Judiciary Reforms, Organization and Operational Modernization, or Room Act, federal justices and judges age 70 and younger would be required to undergo a medical evaluation every five years. Those older than 70 would have to be examined every two years, and those 81 and older would have to go every year.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/regulation/administration/406154-house-republican-pushes-medical-examinations-for-supreme-court

Well, the Constitution sets certain requirements for the appointment of Article III judges.  It doesn't say anything about Congress being able to impose additional requirements by statute.

And leaving aside the Constitutional question...this is just a terrible idea.  It is begging for the politicization of medical examinations, which will end up being an excuse to remove judges/justices the party in power doesn't like.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 04:51:55 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Well, the Constitution sets certain requirements for the appointment of Article III judges.  It doesn't say anything about Congress being able to impose additional requirements by statute.

And leaving aside the Constitutional question...this is just a terrible idea.  It is begging for the politicization of medical examinations, which will end up being an excuse to remove judges/justices the party in power doesn't like.

:amen: @Maj. Bill Martin
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author

We've already got one for everyone in the country

Soviet-style abuse of psychiatry is now practiced in the US

http://thepeoplescube.com/peoples-blog/soviet-style-abuse-of-psychiatry-is-now-practiced-in-the-us-t19299.html
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

<..snip..>

Not really feasible.  Then we'd have to trust the doctors/examiners.  Maybe it would be simpler to just ban women from the Supreme Court.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
"Psst. Somebody wake up Ruth."

Ruth is awake at the moment and vowing to stay on until Trump is out of office.  She will be 90.

I think she can do it.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Sounds okay, but how about Congress? I can think of a number whose mental health is highly questionable. I wonder if there's a reason why democrat and dementia both start with the same three letters :pondering:

If the citizens of a district want to elect an over the hill candidate, they can do that. 

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Now that they passed the Obamacare repeal, funded the wall, locked up Hitlery, defunded PP, and drained the swamp the GOP now has lots of time to pursue stupid stuff that won't pass.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Now that they passed the Obamacare repeal, funded the wall, locked up Hitlery, defunded PP, and drained the swamp the GOP now has lots of time to pursue stupid stuff that won't pass.

The worst part of Obamacare was repealed (the individual mandate); the swamp was too full to drain in a day or even two years but a start has been made; Planned Parenthood is doomed and will be defunded within a year.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Push it all you want, Issa, but as long as some of the fossils on the court are partisan Rats, the Rats in Congress will never go for it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

The worst part of Obamacare was repealed (the individual mandate); the swamp was too full to drain in a day or even two years but a start has been made; Planned Parenthood is doomed and will be defunded within a year.
It's fantastic that the government doesn't require me to carry the ridiculously expensive insurance I can't afford, and you're right.  The swamp wasn't drained, and PP is still being funded by our tax dollars.  I'll have to double check if the wall is built and Hitlery is locked up now.  Thank you for correcting me.

#MAGA

Offline GtHawk

If the citizens of a district want to elect an over the hill candidate, they can do that.
I have nothing against older politicians, my concern is with the mentally unstable politicians, older or younger. Pelosi, Feinstein and Waters are prime examples in California, I should have included Moonbeam. I am sure people in other states can name mentally impaired  politicians that they have.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I have nothing against older politicians, my concern is with the mentally unstable politicians, older or younger. Pelosi, Feinstein and Waters are prime examples in California, I should have included Moonbeam. I am sure people in other states can name mentally impaired  politicians that they have.

My point being that we can't tell other people who they can or can't vote for. 

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I think this crosses the line of Separation of Powers. Find better things to do with your time Issa.
The Republic is lost.

Offline GtHawk

My point being that we can't tell other people who they can or can't vote for.
And my point being I never said anyone could. As I understood it what was stated in the article was a desire for medical exams for those already in office, Supreme Court Justices and I said why not those in Congress. So I have no idea why you keep implying that I was trying to discriminate on a candidates age or anyone else not already in office. But if implying that is what makes you feel good, then go with it.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
And my point being I never said anyone could. As I understood it what was stated in the article was a desire for medical exams for those already in office, Supreme Court Justices and I said why not those in Congress. So I have no idea why you keep implying that I was trying to discriminate on a candidates age or anyone else not already in office. But if implying that is what makes you feel good, then go with it.

No, that's not what I was "implying" at all.  I'm not even good at implying.  I usually just say what I mean.  I said exactly what I meant.  Don't read things into it that aren't there.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
At the time The Founders put the Constitution together, people didn't live quite as long (on average) as they do today.

I'll reckon that when someone aged 45 was given a "lifetime" appointment as a federal judge or Supreme Court Justice in 1800, he was expected to serve twenty years, maybe twenty five.

But not into his eighties or nineties.

Of course, the only way to correct this is by Constitutional Amendment.

Perhaps a Supreme Court appointment could be designated a fixed term of 25 years, with the president having the option to re-nominate a sitting Justice with a simple yes/no vote in the Senate to confirm. Upon confirmation, the Justice's term would be extended for a period of 10 years, or until he/she retires.

And also the amendment should state that any sitting federal judge or Supreme Court Justice will retire upon attaining the age of 75 years.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 01:58:04 am by Fishrrman »