Author Topic: On Being Virtuous...  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Timothy Dennis

On Being Virtuous...
« on: September 09, 2018, 05:00:18 pm »
As the Bible teaches, being virtuous, being honest makes one "above the fray". If one is virtuous, they don't have to fear reprisal and the "slings and arrows" of detractors will fall on deaf ears. The "truth" will always come out in the end and liars will be made to be just that: liars. Liars who have no credibility. As they gnash their teeth at those who honestly pursue the welfare of the American people, i.e. President Trump, they will be driven into the shadows by their own nefarious efforts and lies.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: On Being Virtuous...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 05:11:26 pm »
Being 'virtuous' is for losers and self-righteous snobs who need to be run out of society.

Just read what the rabid Trump supporters have to say and opine about foundational principles and of those who will not surrender them for political expedience.

Because they will tell you, they do not vote for a pope or Jesus.  They believe the less virtuous and more banal a candidate is - the better the president. So long as they make promises that they want to hear and use their crass banality to wage war on those they hate
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 05:12:20 pm by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 05:16:04 pm »
Virtuous

Oh Lawd, Ain't nobody gots time fo dat!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 05:39:07 pm »
Virtuous

Nope. 

And that's the problem right there.  Nobody got time to be virtuous.

So enjoy the consequences.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Absalom

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 01:21:32 am »
As the Bible teaches, being virtuous, being honest makes one "above the fray". If one is virtuous, they don't have to fear reprisal and the "slings and arrows" of detractors will fall on deaf ears. The "truth" will always come out in the end and liars will be made to be just that: liars. Liars who have no credibility. As they gnash their teeth at those who honestly pursue the welfare of the American people, i.e. President Trump, they will be driven into the shadows by their own nefarious efforts and lies.
--------------------------------------------------
Well intentioned yet meaningless sanctimonious blather.
The Natural Law, created for Mankind, was uncovered
through logic and reason, by the likes of Aristotle and Plato.
It's essence are the Rules that govern the behavior of Man,
which are derived from human nature and non-dependent
on politics and religion as well as the rest of the isms
English Whigs such as David Hume and Edmund Burke re-affirmed
this reality as did Wm. Buckley and Russell Kirk in our time.
Being a virtuous (good) person in this material life will be rewarded
in the spiritual afterlife but it will not put Man back on the pathway
that allows/encourages culture/society to survive and thrive.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 01:26:56 am »
English Whigs such as David Hume and Edmund Burke

:hands:

Haven't seen Hume discussed in a long time.  Thanks, @Absalom
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 01:39:18 am »
Virtuous

Exposing yourself for who you are I see.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 01:39:50 am »
@Timothy Dennis
The author of this piece is an idiot, and you forgot to provide a web link.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 01:41:43 am »

I don't think Trump is any of those things except liar.  Certainly not virtuous.

But welcome to TBR. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 01:43:24 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 01:45:16 am »
@Timothy Dennis
The author of this piece is an idiot, and you forgot to provide a web link.

I thought it was his own opinion and I was going to suggest this isn't politics.  Blind worship.

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 01:51:31 am »
I thought it was his own opinion and I was going to suggest this isn't politics.  Blind worship.
Oh?!? If its a vanity post @Timothy Dennis , great job little buddy.  :thumbsup: but comments are best added to the dozens of threads posted daily.  I know its not that confusing because everybody else figured it out on their own.  Welcome.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 01:53:07 am »
Even Nebuchadnezzar found favor with God.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Absalom

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 01:54:14 am »
:hands:

Haven't seen Hume discussed in a long time.  Thanks, @Absalom
----------------------------
Tkx back to you.
Imagine  the likes of Hume, Burke and Locke in this Senate!!!
Stay well.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 01:55:26 am »
Oh?!? If its a vanity post @Timothy Dennis , great job little buddy.  :thumbsup: but comments are best added to the dozens of threads posted daily.  I know its not that confusing because everybody else figured it out on their own.  Welcome.

Come on be nice..he's a new member and he IS posting...let's encourage him to keep posting and starting conversations.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 02:01:02 am »
Even Nebuchadnezzar found favor with God.

Facetious?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 02:12:13 am »

So... Tump is virtuous now...
This is a joke, right?

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 02:19:50 am »
Come on be nice..he's a new member and he IS posting...let's encourage him to keep posting and starting conversations.

Can I do a vanity too? 

I'm just kidding.  I'd love to see more posts about President Trump's virtue, because I love comedy.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 02:34:06 am »
All I can figure is that L.A. must’ve cloned herself
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Online Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 02:48:50 am »
Facetious?

For a while, anyway.  His son, not so much.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Timothy Dennis

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2018, 02:55:16 pm »
--------------------------------------------------
Well intentioned yet meaningless sanctimonious blather.
The Natural Law, created for Mankind, was uncovered
through logic and reason, by the likes of Aristotle and Plato.
It's essence are the Rules that govern the behavior of Man,
which are derived from human nature and non-dependent
on politics and religion as well as the rest of the isms
English Whigs such as David Hume and Edmund Burke re-affirmed
this reality as did Wm. Buckley and Russell Kirk in our time.
Being a virtuous (good) person in this material life will be rewarded
in the spiritual afterlife but it will not put Man back on the pathway
that allows/encourages culture/society to survive and thrive.

So am I to suppose under-handedness, duplicitness, and sinful behavior will "allow/encourage culture/society to survive and thrive"?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 02:57:04 pm by Timothy Dennis »

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2018, 04:21:37 pm »
All I can figure is that L.A. must’ve cloned herself

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2018, 04:24:05 pm »
So am I to suppose under-handedness, duplicitness, and sinful behavior will "allow/encourage culture/society to survive and thrive"?

Ah... NOW you're talking about Tump...

Offline Absalom

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2018, 08:18:17 pm »
---------------------------------------
Respectfully;
Obviously, negative behavior erodes positive values.
My core argument is that the Natural Law, uncovered in the
earliest days of culture/society; in the Fertile Crescent; defined
a moral order that allowed Mankind to sustain civilization.
It was manifested in values such as self-discipline, responsibility,
work, courage, perseverance, honor, loyalty, among many.
None of these have anything to do w/religion.
On the Last Day Peter will not pass judgement of the collective
people of the USA; rather he will judge every John Q. Citizen.
As such, a virtuous person is likely to be rewarded in the
afterlife while a non-virtuous one is not.
Yet the survival and advancement of the nation/state in this life
will be determined by the collective values of its citizens and not
the level of virtue of the individual citizen.