Author Topic: Google and Mastercard Cut a Secret Ad Deal to Track Retail Sales  (Read 792 times)

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Google and Mastercard Cut a Secret Ad Deal to Track Retail Sales
« on: September 03, 2018, 06:50:21 pm »
Referenced  to Bloomberg 2 Sep 2018.

(Bloomberg) -- For the past year, select Google advertisers have had access to a potent new tool to track whether the ads they ran online led to a sale at a physical store in the U.S. That insight came thanks in part to a stockpile of Mastercard transactions that Google paid for.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/2018/08/30/google-and-mastercard-cut-a-secret-ad-deal-to-track-retail-sales#gs.rBIr9uo

If there wasn't already a good reason to cut up your MasterCard.  Google does not need any more additional intrusion into our lives.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Google and Mastercard Cut a Secret Ad Deal to Track Retail Sales
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 07:36:32 pm »
Scott Adams opined that Big Social/Tech will run the nation.

We are fed what news they decide t feed us. That  shapes our opinions, calling for confirmation news.

We then vote, for government that, in league with Big Social/Tech.

I'm sure "true conservatives" believe themselves to be too smart to fall for it, however.

Sen Cruz sure did give that guy Zucker, a really tough grilling

(Let me say it differently: Jim Demint and Paul Ryan will be very well compensated for not rocking the boat.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 10:33:45 pm »
This crap is getting straight up scary. Google will be 20 years old tomorrow, and we are to this point of starting to track every thing we do, already. Another 20 years does not look to be a favorable scenario for the average Joe.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 12:10:26 am »
This crap is getting straight up scary. Google will be 20 years old tomorrow, and we are to this point of starting to track every thing we do, already. Another 20 years does not look to be a favorable scenario for the average Joe.

I am almost sure everyone knows this site, (but just in case)  if you need a search engine without the intrusive google tracking, duck duck go has been my choice. Anyone else know others?

https://duckduckgo.com
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 12:46:46 am »
The Republic is lost.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 12:52:40 am »
But that's OK, because they're "private companies" and can do anything they want. /sarc
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 01:51:24 am »

Offline endicom

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 02:38:14 am »
I use Startpage - works just fine.

I've been using DuckDuckGo.

There are alternatives to Google, Facebook and Twitter but it seems that no one complaining about those three will use an alternative. And there's nothing stopping people from using an alternative in addition to those three so I don't know why they don't. If they did add an alternative then they would do their part in building that alternative. I'm thinking mostly of bitching bloggers.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 11:07:10 pm »

I've been using DuckDuckGo.

There are alternatives to Google, Facebook and Twitter but it seems that no one complaining about those three will use an alternative. And there's nothing stopping people from using an alternative in addition to those three so I don't know why they don't. If they did add an alternative then they would do their part in building that alternative. I'm thinking mostly of bitching bloggers.
There are plenty of other search engines out there. They all crawl the same Web.

Social media is not as easily replaced. Everyone's on Facebook because everyone's on Facebook. No competitor right now can replicate that experience. That's why it's a problem.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024