Author Topic: Naval Academy Brings Back Celestial Navigation Training in Case of a Cyberattack on GPS  (Read 904 times)

rangerrebew

Naval Academy Brings Back Celestial Navigation Training in Case of a Cyberattack on GPS
By Lily Hay Newman

Protecting critical infrastructure from cyberattacks is an ongoing concern, whether you're thinking about the electric grid, ports, water treatment plants, or anything else. And a curriculum decision by the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, is a reminder that the same fears exist for the Global Positioning System. After almost 20 years of teaching students to rely primarily on computers, the Naval Academy is starting to ramp up celestial navigation training again.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2015/10/19/u_s_naval_academy_reinstates_celestial_navigation_education.html

Offline dfwgator

Should never have gotten rid of it.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Should never have gotten rid of it.

Hand one these to a Millenial and watch what happens  :silly:

« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 01:19:36 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I remember my Dad saying he Shot the Stars during Officer's Training during WWII and when he deduced their location he shouted out "My Lord. We're on dry land". I don't know what the margin for error was as they cruised on the Hudson near Troy NY.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I remember my Dad saying he Shot the Stars during Officer's Training during WWII and when he deduced their location he shouted out "My Lord. We're on dry land". I don't know what the margin for error was as they cruised on the Hudson near Troy NY.

Celestial navigation would be useless for something like navigating on a river.  Precision is measured in miles, not meters.

Good to bring it back, though.  Takes tremendous attention to detail and care to do it correctly.

Offline thackney

Cell Phone Ap, point it at the sky and magic

Celestial Navigation and Piloting with iPhone, iPad, iPod
https://www.starpilotllc.com/products/spip.htm
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Cell Phone Ap, point it at the sky and magic

Celestial Navigation and Piloting with iPhone, iPad, iPod
https://www.starpilotllc.com/products/spip.htm

Sort of defeats the purpose of a backup if your systems get hacked or go down, though....

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Sort of defeats the purpose of a backup if your systems get hacked or go down, though....

Duh, I've got two apps.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Duh, I've got two apps.

Sometimes feels I spend half my tech time trying to get around effing new apps so I can get whatever jacka## tech toy I got saddled with to even work.

And don't Even get me started on cars built in the last 40 years.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com