Author Topic: DeSantis victory, Putnam flameout shows that, in Florida, the GOP is Trump's party  (Read 365 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/os-adam-putnam-desantis-trump-scott-maxwell-20180827-story.html

Adam Putnam worked all his life to be governor.

And he was good at it — the consummate Southern politician with a broad, toothy smile, always-pressed shirts and a southern drawl that would impress Foghorn Leghorn.

He remembered names, back-slapped with the best of ‘em, won a legislative seat at age 22 — and then spent the next 22 years campaigning for Congress, agriculture commissioner and finally governor along the back roads of Florida where he spoke at local Lincoln Day dinners and posed for pictures at the annual Possum Festival.

For Putnam, 2018 was supposed to be more of a coronation than a campaign.

It was all derailed by a single tweet.

President Donald Trump formally endorsed Ron DeSantis on June 22, saying: “He will be a Great Governor & has my full Endorsement!”

Before then, many Floridians didn’t even know what a DeSantis was.

Maybe a perfume fragrance. Or a car model that stopped production in the ’50s.

Offline Frank Cannon

Before then, many Floridians didn’t even know what a DeSantis was.

Maybe a perfume fragrance. Or a car model that stopped production in the ’50s.

I don't care what you say. That's a funny line.

Offline endicom

Trump may have been the trigger but Floridians had to be sick of the same old frauds to make the jump.

Offline Frank Cannon

Trump may have been the trigger but Floridians had to be sick of the same old frauds to make the jump.

Plus his wife is smokin'.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Now if that Everglades swamp sucking tic-tud Bill Nelson gets defeated, life will be good.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Frank Cannon

Now if that Everglades swamp sucking tic-tud Bill Nelson gets defeated, life will be good.

Your Gov seems pretty popular down there. There is a good possibility that happens.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
 It remains to be seen what the value is of a Trump endorsement.  I'll wait to see if DeSantis can win the general election before proclaiming the Florida GOP to be Trump's party.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Your Gov seems pretty popular down there. There is a good possibility that happens.

Scott is not perfect but he beat the hell out of that loser rat Charlie Crist as Gov.   Hopefully he'll be a good Sen.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online dfwgator

Scott is not perfect but he beat the hell out of that loser rat Charlie Crist as Gov.   Hopefully he'll be a good Sen.

Scott is Jeb! without the hair.  But I hope he does win in November.

Offline Frank Cannon

It remains to be seen what the value is of a Trump endorsement.

No. It doesn't remain to be seen. DeSoto had a 20 point swing in 30 days and destroyed the Establishment hack just off of getting the Presidents support. We have tangible election results of that.