Author Topic: 'America's Toughest Sheriff' Joe Arpaio struggles in Senate bid  (Read 311 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Reuters by Andy Sullivan 8/27/2018

Joe Arpaio built a national reputation as a staunch opponent of illegal immigration while sheriff of Arizona’s largest county and found a powerful ally in President Donald Trump, who pardoned him last year after he ran into legal trouble.

But as the self-styled “America’s Toughest Sheriff” hustles for votes in Arizona ahead of Tuesday’s nominating contest for one of the country’s most competitive U.S. Senate races, analysts say his comeback bid is likely to fall short.

Every public opinion poll since June has shown Arpaio, 86, in third place among Republicans seeking the seat held by Republican U.S. Senator Jeff Flake, who is retiring after tangling with Trump over the past two years.

The other two candidates in the race - U.S. Representative Martha McSally and former state Senator Kelli Ward - have largely ignored Arpaio as they focus their attacks on each other. Trump has not endorsed anyone in the race.

“You’ve got a better chance of finding a leprechaun with a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow than you do seeing Joe win this thing,” said Republican pollster Mike Noble.

Republican activists accuse the former sheriff of playing the role of spoiler, splitting the conservative vote and boosting the chances of McSally, the more moderate candidate.

The lack of attention from his opponents and media outlets frustrates Arpaio - as does the spoiler tag, which he calls an insult.

“I’m known around the world,” he said in an interview on Sunday in Lake Havasu City, where he held a rally with about a dozen supporters. “You would think my opponents would go after me every hour on the hour. All they say is: ‘He’s a nice guy.’”

More: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-arpaio/americas-toughest-sheriff-joe-arpaio-struggles-in-u-s-senate-bid-idUSKCN1LC0UZ

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: 'America's Toughest Sheriff' Joe Arpaio struggles in Senate bid
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 12:47:03 pm »
Struggles? He lost his ass.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 12:49:19 pm »
Joe needs to go now. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 12:55:05 pm »
Joe needs to go now.

Bullshit. There is a Building Inspections Supervisor position in Glendale up for election next year. Joe would be perfect!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 02:05:53 pm »
Joe needs to go now.

He has never polled well for statewide races.  I have no understanding how he thought this was a good idea.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: