Author Topic: Federal judges doing their part to swing the House majority to Democrats  (Read 495 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
August 28, 2018
Federal judges doing their part to swing the House majority to Democrats
By Thomas Lifson

A three-judge panel in the U.S. District Court in the Middle District of North Carolina has issued a decision declaring that the congressional district boundaries drawn by the state are unconstitutional.

The General Assembly expressly directed the legislators and consultant responsible for drawing the 2016 Plan to rely on 'political data' – that is, past election results specifying whether, and to what extent, particular voting precincts had favored Republican or Democratic candidates, and therefore were likely to do so in the future – to draw a districting plan that would ensure Republican candidates would prevail in the vast majority of the State's congressional districts, and would continue to do so in future elections.

The current map of congressional districts does show one peculiarly shaped district, obviously the product of gerrymandering: the 12th:

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/08/federal_judges_doing_their_part_to_swing_the_house_majority_to_democrats.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Yet more judicial tyranny!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Bigun wrote:
"Yet more judicial tyranny!"

I agree with you, but...
... look at the map above.

Who could look at that purple "district" and claim that it was NOT gerrymandered?

Draw up fractured districts like that, and one can expect decisions like the one they just received for doing so.

There's GOT to be a better way to do it.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Bigun wrote:
"Yet more judicial tyranny!"

I agree with you, but...
... look at the map above.

Who could look at that purple "district" and claim that it was NOT gerrymandered?

Draw up fractured districts like that, and one can expect decisions like the one they just received for doing so.

There's GOT to be a better way to do it.

The problem is that map drawing is a political exercise.  The courts have no role in this.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline cato potatoe

I think that map is old.  The GA already consolidated the districts a couple of times to pacify the courts. 

These federal judges are totally off the rails and dangerous.  First they can't decide whether the Voting Rights Act applies to North Carolina.  Then somehow, after 200 years, political gerrymandering is suddenly unconstitutional.  Now they are talking about forcing the GA to redraw the maps with no primary.  You watch - they'll end up drawing the maps themselves, like the dictators in PA.

Offline cato potatoe

The current US House districts:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
re cato's map above:

District 4 looks a bit too "contrived".
But...
The rest aren't anything a "reasonably disinterested person" might find fault with.