Author Topic: Trump threatens action against Google for 'rigged' search results  (Read 3044 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Trump threatens action against Google for 'rigged' search results
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2018, 05:15:08 pm »
I could be wrong but "bing" seems decent as a search engine.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2018, 10:41:38 pm »
DCPatriot wrote:
"Your hatred of the President overrides any sensibilities that may remain encased in your brain."

I agree.
I only put folks on ignore as a last resort, and tolerated him as long as I could.
But... [click!]....  no more.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2018, 10:59:53 pm »
AbraraXas wrote (regarding the Funk & Wagnalls):
"As long as you don't mind the information ending in 1975..."

That's EXACTLY why I decided to keep our old Collier's Encyclopedia, which my parents got in 1962 or so.

Because... within it resides the collective knowledge of a culture as-yet-undisturbed by political correctness.

For me, it represents a view of the World written from the perspective of the Western World über alles.

And that's how things ought to be.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2018, 11:39:53 pm »
As mentioned, if you don't like Google go to another search engine.  I use Bing.  As for Google, if the President has evidence that their searches are "rigged" hopefully, he'll provide such evidence but I seriously doubt it.   *****rollingeyes*****
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2018, 12:19:57 am »
I have an idea!  How about choosing a search engine other than Google!   I did that a long time ago and there is a long list of choices!

Nonsense.  There are no alternatives to yahoo and myspace, and there never will be.  They must be under DC control.

It's for the children.

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2018, 12:29:43 am »
I could be wrong but "bing" seems decent as a search engine.

I like it...and they still make it easy to find images to link.  Google, not so much.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2018, 12:32:50 am »
As mentioned, if you don't like Google go to another search engine.  I use Bing.  As for Google, if the President has evidence that their searches are "rigged" hopefully, he'll provide such evidence but I seriously doubt it.   *****rollingeyes*****

Caught some Rush Limbaugh this afternoon and he expounded on this subject....how his never depending on social media to build his audience, he can't be affected by it...by negative searches.

But I got the distinct feeling his attitude is:  Let the free market work it out.

One day there was no FOXNEWS channel.

Of course, I've been waiting for uber-rich Conservatives to build a Hollywood studio for years ...there are several Class-A talents of the Conservative bent to get it off the ground.   Mel Gibson, Clint Eastwood for example.

It's time for a "fair and balanced" search engine.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2018, 12:56:19 am »
Caught some Rush Limbaugh this afternoon and he expounded on this subject....how his never depending on social media to build his audience, he can't be affected by it...by negative searches.

But I got the distinct feeling his attitude is:  Let the free market work it out.

Of course, I've been waiting for uber-rich Conservatives to build a Hollywood studio for years ...there are several Class-A talents of the Conservative bent to get it off the ground.   Mel Gibson, Clint Eastwood for example.

Wolfram Alpha. Pure machine learning based. It is what data scientists use.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2018, 12:57:09 am »
@Concerned
Just switched to Bing. I am willing to give it try. Especially with your recommendation.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:58:44 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2018, 01:00:04 am »

If there were actual evidence that most search engines were "unfair and unbalanced", I'm sure there would be a demand for a "fair and balanced" search engine.  Of course, I haven't seen any real evidence that search engines are "rigged".  As I said, hopefully the President will provide such evidence if he has it, but I don't anticipate it.  Just more bluster, I suspect.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Concerned

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2018, 01:00:37 am »
@Concerned
Just switched to Bing. I willing to give it try. Especially with your recommendation.

@240B  :beer:

Offline ABX

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2018, 01:01:14 am »
There are 70,000 plus search engine options. Something for everyone.

http://www.answers.com/Q/How_many_search_engines_are_there

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2018, 01:06:37 am »
There are 70,000 plus search engine options. Something for everyone.

http://www.answers.com/Q/How_many_search_engines_are_there

Ask Jeeves was huge back in 98.  I wonder if it is still around.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline ABX

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2018, 01:08:54 am »
Ask Jeeves was huge back in 98.  I wonder if it is still around.

Yep. It is now just ask.com. They deported Jeeves when his green card expired.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2018, 01:14:49 am »
Nice...  lol The butler always gets screwed!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2018, 01:51:35 am »
I use Startpage (also known as "IXquick") and DuckDuckGo for my search engines mainly. Both do not spy on you and log your searches unlike Google and Bing do. Startpage fetches from Google and is located outside the US (thus less likely the alphabet soup is monitoring them)... DuckDuckGo is located in the US, but often turns up better results than Startpage because it is not having to filter through Google's slanted returns.

Quant and Disconnect also don't log your searches.

Being I (and the wife) are political and the environment we are in, I don't want the government knowing my searches.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:01:01 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Applewood

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2018, 02:43:13 am »
Jus for the heck of it, I googled "Trump News."  Found several items from Fox and close to the top.  So I don't see the censorship Trump is talking about.  Would he rather have Alex Jones or the National Enquirer first?

Offline corbe

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2018, 02:49:51 am »
   Rush and Hannity only, after that 'all grayed out' requiring proof of residency and password.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2018, 10:53:52 am »
Nothing good happened after then anyway.

Are you sure?  Cannon ran until '76.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2018, 10:55:44 am »
Well before Trump and his hordes of "Conservative" Nationalists make that official policy - they are currently applauding a new Fairness Doctrine be imposed by the power of Government at the behest of the Executive.

Apparently these pretend "Conservatives" no longer believe that government is the problem, now they see government as the solution - exactly as the Left does.  So they are applauding their version of 'equal time' imposed on the internet and media - and just like the Leftists who abused their version of the doctrine - they too will abuse it and make Fascism absolute.