Author Topic: CAN “BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP” BE ABOLISHED BY ANY BRANCH OF GOVERNMENT?  (Read 887 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Post & Email by Mario Apuzzo 8/27/2018

To begin the interview, we asked Apuzzo whether or not modern-day Americans are misinterpreting the meaning of the clause “subject to the jurisdiction thereof” found in the first sentence of the 14th Amendment.  “Does it all hinge on that?” we asked.

“It’s a complex issue,” was Apuzzo’s initial response.  “Trying to understand the meaning of those words is very, very involved.  There really is no ‘right’ answer, because it all depends on context.  You can make those words mean anything you want. If you study the debates on the 14th Amendment, which are in the Congressional Globe, you’ll see how the senators don’t agree with each other as to what it means.  Then, they talk about ‘in the sense of that particular constitution, this is what it means.’

He continued:

For example, if you look at Wong Kim Ark, the court said, “It means ‘subject to the laws.'”  But then if you read the debates, it says that anybody is subject to the laws, even Indians.  The debate there was American Indians and whether or not they should be excluded.  Senator Doolittle put forward an amendment to the amendment saying that you have to put the language in there, ‘excluding Indians not taxed.’  The other senator, Sen. Howard, who had put forward that particular citizenship clause, was joined by others, one of whom was Sen. Trumbull, and they all said, “Oh, no, we don’t need that language.  It’s clearly understood.”  Well, it’s clearly not understood.

So they went on and on, and Trumbull said that it means ‘subject to the complete jurisdiction.’  It still doesn’t really tell you what it means.  Then there’s further discussion that in this sense of the Constitution, the Indians are not subject to the jurisdiction.  So the whole thing is really up in the air; it is what you want to make it to be.

When we asked if the discussions and differing viewpoints of today are little different from the debates of 1868, Apuzzo responded:

What drives the whole thing is policy, and what drives policy? politics.  And what drives politics?  You can get into all kinds of things driving politics:  economics, power; you want to share things with others or you don’t want to share it with others; so the whole thing comes down to politics.

I suspect there was a lot more going on in Congress than what is in the records.  If you look at the Civil Rights Act of 1866, it says ‘not subject to any foreign power,’ and it also says, ‘excluding Indians not taxed.’  Later on they say that the Indians are ‘subject to a foreign power,’ so why did they have to add ‘excluding Indians not taxed’?  So clearly, when they said, ‘not subject to any foreign power,’ they meant somebody else other than the Indians.  They’re not telling us that, but I think there’s a clue in the debates that they really were targeting Chinese in California.

More: https://www.thepostemail.com/2018/08/27/the-post-email-interviews-atty-mario-apuzzo-on-the-14th-amendment-part-1/

Editor’s Note: Part 2 of our interview with Atty. Apuzzo will be published later this week.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
SCOTUS has never applied the term "natural born citizen" to any other category than “those born in the country of parents who are citizens thereof”

The Venus, 12 U.S. 8 Cranch 253 253 (1814)

The natives or indigenes are those born in the country of parents who are citizens.

Minor v. Happersett , 88 U.S. 162 (1875)

At common law, with the nomenclature of which the framers of the Constitution were familiar, it was never doubted that all children born in a country of parents who were its citizens became themselves, upon their birth, citizens also. These were natives or natural-born citizens,

United States v. Wong Kim Ark, 169 U.S. 649 (1898)

(A)ll children, born in a country of parents who were its citizens, became themselves, upon their birth, citizens also. These were natives, or natural-born citizens, as distinguished from aliens or foreigners.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I agree @Bigun but the article was on "Birthright Citizenship" not "Natural Born Citizens"

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I agree @Bigun but the article was on "Birthright Citizenship" not "Natural Born Citizens"

There is no such thing as "birthright citizenship".

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
There is no such thing as "birthright citizenship".

And I suppose you deny there are "Anchor Babies" as well.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
And I suppose you deny there are "Anchor Babies" as well.

There are far too many of those only because unelected judges have taken it upon themselves to make law.  A function they are not granted anywhere in the Constitution.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
So you would agree that Trump has the right to halt the practice called, by many, "Birthright Citizenship"?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
So you would agree that Trump has the right to halt the practice called, by many, "Birthright Citizenship"?

Absolutely!  Of course any such actions will be challenged in court but he will eventually win.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas reaches deal on birth certificates for immigrant kids
Published July 26, 2016

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/07/26/texas-reaches-deal-on-birth-certificates-for-immigrant-kids.html

Parents who entered the U.S. illegally from Mexico and Central America will have an easier time getting birth certificates for their children born in Texas following a lawsuit settlement with the state, lawyers for immigration advocates said on Monday.

The deal for now ends a legal fight that erupted last year when Texas was accused of denying "birthright" U.S. citizenship amid heightened national debate over immigration. U.S. District Judge Robert Pitman signed an order that sets aside the lawsuit so long as Texas lives up to the agreement.

State health officials contended the deal makes no changes to existing policies, but attorneys for families insisted otherwise, saying Texas will now accept more forms of identification and supporting documents that are easier for people in the country illegally to obtain.

Although ID cards issued by Mexican consulates still won't be accepted as many wanted, Texas will now accept valid Mexican voter ID cards that can now be obtained at consulates in the U.S., said Efrin Olivares, a lead attorney on the lawsuit for the Texas Civil Rights Project.

It is unknown how many parents were denied a birth certificate for their Texas-born children. Olivares said the deal was struck while trying to get those numbers from the state, and said the settlement talks never answered the question of why Texas began cracking down on birth records starting around 2013.

Lawyers for the families contend that prior to 2013 they were able to present ID cards from the Mexican consulates, as well as foreign passports without U.S. visas in them, and obtain birth certificates in Texas.

"That's the million-dollar question," Olivares said. "What prompted those changes, why and who, we never got a final answer."

The Texas Department of State Health Services said in a statement the agreement maintains "the security of birth records."

"The purpose of the identification requirement is to ensure that individuals requesting birth certificates are who they say they are," the agency said.

Olivares said the deal allows immigrant families to go back to court if problems resurface over the next nine months.

Immigration attorneys have suggested Texas only got serious about enforcement after women and children from Central America began pouring over the border. President Barack Obama a short time later announced executive actions on immigration that sought to temporarily shield from deportation up to 4 million people in the U.S. illegally, although his plan was blocked by the U.S. Supreme Court.

The parents in the lawsuit entered the country illegally from Mexico and Central America, but the U.S. Constitution's 14th Amendment guarantees the right of citizenship to children born here.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Texas reaches deal on birth certificates for immigrant kids
Published July 26, 2016

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/07/26/texas-reaches-deal-on-birth-certificates-for-immigrant-kids.html

Parents who entered the U.S. illegally from Mexico and Central America will have an easier time getting birth certificates for their children born in Texas following a lawsuit settlement with the state, lawyers for immigration advocates said on Monday.

The deal for now ends a legal fight that erupted last year when Texas was accused of denying "birthright" U.S. citizenship amid heightened national debate over immigration. U.S. District Judge Robert Pitman signed an order that sets aside the lawsuit so long as Texas lives up to the agreement.

State health officials contended the deal makes no changes to existing policies, but attorneys for families insisted otherwise, saying Texas will now accept more forms of identification and supporting documents that are easier for people in the country illegally to obtain.

Although ID cards issued by Mexican consulates still won't be accepted as many wanted, Texas will now accept valid Mexican voter ID cards that can now be obtained at consulates in the U.S., said Efrin Olivares, a lead attorney on the lawsuit for the Texas Civil Rights Project.

It is unknown how many parents were denied a birth certificate for their Texas-born children. Olivares said the deal was struck while trying to get those numbers from the state, and said the settlement talks never answered the question of why Texas began cracking down on birth records starting around 2013.

Lawyers for the families contend that prior to 2013 they were able to present ID cards from the Mexican consulates, as well as foreign passports without U.S. visas in them, and obtain birth certificates in Texas.

"That's the million-dollar question," Olivares said. "What prompted those changes, why and who, we never got a final answer."

The Texas Department of State Health Services said in a statement the agreement maintains "the security of birth records."

"The purpose of the identification requirement is to ensure that individuals requesting birth certificates are who they say they are," the agency said.

Olivares said the deal allows immigrant families to go back to court if problems resurface over the next nine months.

Immigration attorneys have suggested Texas only got serious about enforcement after women and children from Central America began pouring over the border. President Barack Obama a short time later announced executive actions on immigration that sought to temporarily shield from deportation up to 4 million people in the U.S. illegally, although his plan was blocked by the U.S. Supreme Court.

The parents in the lawsuit entered the country illegally from Mexico and Central America, but the U.S. Constitution's 14th Amendment guarantees the right of citizenship to children born here.

The last sentence of the article is absolute  bovine fecal matter!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
And that belief, swallowed by so many, is what Trump will be facing when he puts a halt to this unauthorized practice.

Offline skeeter

And that belief, swallowed by so many, is what Trump will be facing when he puts a halt to this unauthorized practice.

The black robed bolsheviks will be climbing over each other to put a stay on whatever he issues.

This would hit at the heart of their plans to grab and maintain indefinite control.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
The black robed bolsheviks will be climbing over each other to put a stay on whatever he issues.

This would hit at the heart of their plans to grab and maintain indefinite control.

:amen:  No doubt about it.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Bigun wrote:
"The last sentence of the article is absolute  bovine fecal matter!"

I agree with you in spirit... but...

The only way this can be settled once-and-for-all is for an appropriate case to come before the Supreme Court, and for them to rule on whether or not the 14th Amendment creates "birthright citizenship".

Until that happens, the matter ain't settled.

Somewhere, someone has to "force this issue" -- that is, issue a birth certificate to a newborn of a known illegal mother (and father) that says, to the effect, that the newborn is a citizen of the mother's country of origin (and NOT of "The United States").

That will "get the ball rolling".

The only other way to fix this forever is by a new Constitutional amendment that either modifies the 14th or has new language defining just what a "citizen" is and also what a "natural born citizen" is.

Til then... no dice.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
 The Post & Email Interviews Atty. Mario Apuzzo on the 14th Amendment, Part 2
On Tuesday, August 28, 2018

https://www.thepostemail.com/2018/08/28/the-post-email-interviews-atty-mario-apuzzo-on-the-14th-amendment-part-2/

The Post & Email: Do you agree with Victor Davis Hanson that President Trump — or any president — could issue a “clarification” of the 14th Amendment?

Atty. Apuzzo:  Yes, he can do that.  Trump could say in an executive order, “This is my interpretation of the 14th Amendment.” With this question of “subject to the jurisdiction,” is he violating the law by stating his position? He’s not violating the law because there’s no Supreme Court precedent saying that if you’re here illegally and you give birth, that child is a citizen. So if he did that, he wouldn’t be violating anything. It’s a fair interpretation given the current context when you have illegals here giving birth to children. The question is, “Should the nation accept those children as citizens?”  So I think it would be fine if Trump signed an executive order and it went to the Supreme Court and they issued a decision.

The Post & Email: Would that equate to Obama’s executive action creating DACA? Is it the same thing?

Atty. Apuzzo:  Actually, DACA is much worse. Congress has laws on the books which say that if you’re here illegally, you’re subject to deportation (or “removal,” as it’s now called). But Obama’s executive order said, “Oh, no, we’re not going to do that.” The law is cleaner; it says if you’re here illegally and have no status, you have to go back to your country of origin.

The child is not going to be stateless; he or she would take on the citizenship of the parents. Also, in regard to separation of families, the parents have no business staying here. So there’s no evil going on; there’s no harm being done. The parents have a country.

The other questions about asylum are governed by a different law. If they qualify for asylum because of political, religious, or some other kind of persecution, they qualify to be here because that’s what the law says. The laws of our nation say they can be here. If they’re here under those circumstances and give birth to children, I can see the children becoming citizens because they’ve become part of our nation.

It doesn’t matter where they come from; if they qualify under our laws, then of course if their children are born here, I don’t see a problem with making them citizens.  You want the children to grow, attach to the nation, be part of the community, go to school, and love their country. That’s how societies are built.  But if the parents are here under other circumstances, I think giving citizenship to the children creates more problems than it solves.  It creates anger within the children; they become angry at the nation where their parents have to live in the shadows, and they start to blame the nation for all of the problems they experience.

The Post & Email:  Can Congress clarify “subject to the jurisdiction thereof” to settle this question?

Atty. Apuzzo:  Under the 14th Amendment’s Section 5, it says, “The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.” There, they can actually define what “subject to the jurisdiction thereof” means in the context.  They could pass legislation. Somebody could say, though, “You can’t to that; you’re trying to amend the Constitution.”  Then the Supreme Court would have to look at it.

Also, in Article I, it says that Congress has the power to pass legislation defining different things.  Take the American Indians:  it was 1924 when they made them citizens with a statute.  If you go back to the 14th Amendment, it says they’re not citizens, but if that’s what the 14th Amendment says, then the Congress acted “illegally.”  But nobody ever says, “They can’t do that.”  If you go back to the 14th amendment, the whole debate was about how Indians were not citizens. So if the Constitution says American Indians are not citizens, how dare the Congress pass a statute saying they’re citizens?

If you look at Article I, Section 8, clause 4, it says that Congress has the power “to establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization” throughout the United States. That gives them a lot of power over naturalization.  The question is, “What’s naturalization?”  If you look at the 14th Amendment, that naturalized people.  If you read the debates it talks about “Indians not taxed.” But if the state decided to tax you, then the state has actually naturalized that Indian.  So now you’ve become a citizen. So the argument is that the state was naturalizing people.

The 14th Amendment was really a naturalization of freedmen, of freed slaves who were not citizens.  The Civil Rights Act of 1866 naturalized them.  They were naturalized, even though they were born here.  So then if Congress has the power of naturalization, they can surely tell us what “subject to the jurisdiction thereof” means.  They can do it under Article I and under Section 5 of the 14th Amendment which says, “Congress shall have the power to enforce…”

The Post & Email:  Is the Supreme Court the final word on any “appropriate legislation” Congress might pass?

Atty. Apuzzo:  Here’s the philosophical answer to your question:  There is no final word.  It’s a circle.  It goes around and around and around.  How quickly it goes around is a different question.  It could go around in just one year, or 200 years could pass, or 500 years could pass. There’s never a final word.  There are always new people in office, new citizens with different ideas.

More at link above.