Author Topic: Homeless Veteran Back on Street After Fundraisers Keep Money  (Read 473 times)

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Homeless Veteran Back on Street After Fundraisers Keep Money
« on: August 25, 2018, 04:36:06 pm »
Johnny Bobbitt is back under a bridge just months after a couple raised $400,000 for him — and then reportedly kept it.

It seemed like an American Cinderella story: when New Jersey resident Kate McClure ran out of gas in a “sketchy” neighborhood in Philadelphia, 35-year-old homeless veteran Johnny Bobbitt offered her his last $20 dollars for gas, which he went and fetched for her himself.

McClure and her boyfriend Mark D’Amico responded with a GoFundMe campaign to raise $10,000 so that Bobbitt could get safely through the winter. The story captured the hearts and minds of many readers, and the campaign raised more than $400,000 in Bobbitt’s name. This, however, is where the story gets ugly.

[excerpted]

https://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/08/24/homeless-veteran-back-street-fundraisers-keep-money/

Sounds like a hell of a mess and the dude stating "I’ll burn it in front of him," isn't helping them one bit.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Applewood

Re: Homeless Veteran Back on Street After Fundraisers Keep Money
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 05:19:49 pm »
The story is that the couple gave Bobbitt some of the money, but he blew threw it quickly, allegedly on drugs.  So they don't want to give Bobbitt any more until and unless he gets clean and sober and finds some gainful employment. 

I don't know who is telling the truth here -- maybe no one.  But I will say this:  Gofundme pages have had their share of frauds -- people claiming to raise money for someone or for some cause, then taking off with the money.  But I would hate to see this couple painted, perhaps unfairly, as frauds because the recipient of their repaid kindness wants to drown himself in narcotics. 

Might take a court to sort this out. Thing is, if there was no agreement as to how the money would be spent, the couple might lose.  Might be that Bobbitt will be found to have the right to all the money right away and if he squander it all, well, too bad. It's his right. 

People always feel sorry for the homeless, but sadly, so many of them seem to want to stay homeless.  They won't do what has to be done to get off the streets.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 06:48:58 pm by Applewood »

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 06:27:05 pm »
Go fund me gets 30K for admin fee's?  WTF  That is messed up.  What a scam.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 09:38:30 pm »
Just reinforces my decision never to contribute to a "Go Fund Me" appeal.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org