Author Topic: Energy drink health risks: Survey reveals over half of youth, young adults who consume them experie  (Read 396 times)

rangerrebew

Energy drink health risks: Survey reveals over half of youth, young adults who consume them experience serious side effects such as nausea, rapid heartbeat, and even seizures

Friday, August 24, 2018 by: Ralph Flores   

(Natural News) Teenagers these days (and even some children) rely heavily on energy drinks to sustain them, so they can push themselves and do more over the seemingly limited day. However, this dependence comes at a great cost, according to science: Young adults who regularly consumed energy drinks have definitely experienced its nasty side effects, according to a study published in the journal CMAJ Open. The paper, which was conducted by researchers from the University of Waterloo, indicated that more than half of youth and young adults in Canada who drank energy drinks have had adverse reactions, with some even requiring medical assistance.

Energy drinks have been defined as beverages with “added dietary supplements.” Manufacturers may claim to have put many “natural ingredients” to boost energy, improve concentration, and increase performance; however, what differentiates these beverages from soft drinks and sports drinks is the amount of caffeine it contained.

https://www.naturalnews.com/2018-08-24-energy-drink-health-risks-over-half-of-youth-young-adults-experience-serious-side-effects.html

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Per ounce, they have the same amount of caffeine, sometimes less, than the comparable cup of coffee. It's those other stimulants that get you in trouble.

I've tried a number of energy drinks in my lifetime. Most are OK in small amounts, but watch out if you see L-carnitine. Most drinks don't use it but Monster Energy does, and it has serious side effects. It altered my mood (made me inexplicably angry) and wrought havoc on my heartbeat and breathing.

That's not to say that the other stimulants don't have an effect. They do, so you don't need as much to get the same buzz. Plus, if you're watching your sugar intake, that's something else to beware.

In short, that 8 ounce Red Bull probably won't be a threat to anything and may even be beneficial. That 24 ounce Mega Monster, on the other hand, might kill you.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024