Author Topic: I have had a heart attack. Do I need open heart surgery or a stent?  (Read 315 times)

rangerrebew

I have had a heart attack. Do I need open heart surgery or a stent?
August 25, 2018, European Society of Cardiology

New advice on the choice between open heart surgery and inserting a stent via a catheter after a heart attack is launched today. The European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS) Guidelines on myocardial revascularization are published online in European Heart Journal.

Coronary artery disease, also called ischaemic heart disease, is the top cause of death worldwide. Arteries supplying oxygen-rich blood to the heart become narrowed with fatty material, causing chest pain and increasing the risk of heart attacks and death. Patients should stop smoking, be physically active, and consume a healthy diet. They also need lifelong medication which can include a statin to control blood lipids, blood pressure lowering drugs, and aspirin.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-08-heart-surgery-stent.html

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: I have had a heart attack. Do I need open heart surgery or a stent?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 04:42:47 pm »
I have had a heart attack. Do I need open heart surgery or a stent?
August 25, 2018, European Society of Cardiology

New advice on the choice between open heart surgery and inserting a stent via a catheter after a heart attack is launched today. The European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS) Guidelines on myocardial revascularization are published online in European Heart Journal.

Coronary artery disease, also called ischaemic heart disease, is the top cause of death worldwide. Arteries supplying oxygen-rich blood to the heart become narrowed with fatty material, causing chest pain and increasing the risk of heart attacks and death. Patients should stop smoking, be physically active, and consume a healthy diet. They also need lifelong medication which can include a statin to control blood lipids, blood pressure lowering drugs, and aspirin.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-08-heart-surgery-stent.html

@rangerrebew

Speaking as someone who had a stent put in a couple of weeks ago due to an artery that was 80 to 90 percent blocked,I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest  you ask a heart surgeon.

Heart surgeons operate on damaged and defective hearts. They also put in stents for patients whose hearts are good,but who are having blood supply to the heart problems.

If you need heart surgery to repair a defective heart,get heart surgery. If the problem is bad circuilation/restricted blood flow,get a stent.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!