Author Topic: Scientists create a mineral in the lab that captures carbon dioxide  (Read 689 times)

rangerrebew

Scientists create a mineral in the lab that captures carbon dioxide
A new technique might one day help combat global warming
By
Carolyn Gramling
12:14pm, August 22, 2018

FAST TRACK  It takes thousands of years for this mineral to form naturally. Now researchers have found a way to make magnesite, or magnesium carbonate, in the lab in just a few months.

Scientists are one step closer to a long-sought way to store carbon dioxide in rocks.

A new technique speeds up the formation of a mineral called magnesite that, in nature, captures and stores large amounts of the greenhouse gas CO2. And the process can be done at room temperature in the lab, researchers reported August 14 at the Goldschmidt geochemistry conference, held in Boston. If the mineral can be produced in large quantities, the method could one day help fight climate change.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/lab-mineral-magnesite-captures-carbon-dioxide
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 04:04:50 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Scientists create a mineral in the lab that captures carbon dioxide
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 04:09:01 pm »
By
Carolyn Gramling
12:14pm, August 22, 2018

FAST TRACK  It takes thousands of years for this mineral to form naturally. Now researchers have found a way to make magnesite, or magnesium carbonate, in the lab in just a few months.

Scientists are one step closer to a long-sought way to store carbon dioxide in rocks.

A new technique speeds up the formation of a mineral called magnesite that, in nature, captures and stores large amounts of the greenhouse gas CO2. And the process can be done at room temperature in the lab, researchers reported August 14 at the Goldschmidt geochemistry conference, held in Boston. If the mineral can be produced in large quantities, the method could one day help fight climate change.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/lab-mineral-magnesite-captures-carbon-dioxide

Ok,so what do they do with the rocks? Even rocks wear down and turn to dust,you know.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 04:39:54 pm »

LMAO.....

Hmmm less see.   Globull warming alarmist claim that humans have contributed about 30-40 billion pounds of excess CO2.

Based on a Molar Conversion of 1 mole CO2= 44.3 gms. gas/mole and 1 Mole of MgCO3 =84.3 gms. solid/mole

MgCO3 + CO2 + H2O ->. Mg(HCO3)2

Looks like a straight one to one molar conversion.  Therefore...

To just remove a billion pounds of CO2 (Say 2%), it would take (and cost) the manufacture, and distribution like a desiccant of about 1.9 billion pounds of this material.  Which furthermore, might not be 100% efficient since only the surface of the mineral would be effective 

My guess....Someone didn't think this through.   :cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 06:36:40 pm »
I believe nature has already generously supplied us with that process.

It is called photosynthesis and is utilized by the trillions of plants existing on this planet.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 07:04:35 pm »
LMAO.....

Hmmm less see.   Globull warming alarmist claim that humans have contributed about 30-40 billion pounds of excess CO2.

Based on a Molar Conversion of 1 mole CO2= 44.3 gms. gas/mole and 1 Mole of MgCO3 =84.3 gms. solid/mole

MgCO3 + CO2 + H2O ->. Mg(HCO3)2

Looks like a straight one to one molar conversion.  Therefore...

To just remove a billion pounds of CO2 (Say 2%), it would take (and cost) the manufacture, and distribution like a desiccant of about 1.9 billion pounds of this material.  Which furthermore, might not be 100% efficient since only the surface of the mineral would be effective 

My guess....Someone didn't think this through.   :cool:

The material acts like a catalyst, and can be regenerated. 
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 11:13:14 pm »
The material acts like a catalyst, and can be regenerated.

I worked in the petrochemical industry 30 years.   

Do you realize

(1) the cost and fossil fuel usage to regenerate this kind of catalyst?  One's I  remember can get over 1000 F.
(2) The cost and Real estate needs of placement of vessels regenerate spent materials in this volume? Not to mention staging, shipping, and manpower.
(3) And then there is the issue of the volume ?  Logistical near impossibility. I'm skeptical that it would even put a dent in arthopogenic CO2.

Interested to hear in any way this might be a feasible technology.  At my vantage point, there isn't any.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.