Author Topic: Republicans warn Senate wouldn't confirm Sessions successor  (Read 858 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Republicans warn Senate wouldn't confirm Sessions successor
« on: August 23, 2018, 08:50:54 pm »
By Jordain Carney - 08/23/18 04:33 PM EDT

Senate Republicans are sending a warning shot to President Trump as he lashes out at Attorney General Jeff Sessions, saying they don't think he should fire him and hinting the Senate is unlikely to confirm a successor.

Trump renewed his criticism of Sessions — who was his earliest Senate supporter but has fallen from grace amid the Russia investigation — during a Fox News interview for the attorney general's recusal from matters related to the special counsel investigation into election interference.

But GOP senators — spanning from conservatives to Trump critics and members of leadership — are throwing their support behind Sessions, a long-time senator who remains popular with his colleagues. 

"We don't have time, nor is there a likely candidate, who could get confirmed in my view under these current circumstances," Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), the No. 2 Senate Republican, told reporters.

Asked if there was a date after which it would be easier for Trump to fire Sessions,  he added that Sessions and Trump should "work out their differences."

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/403340-republicans-warn-senate-wouldnt-confirm-sessions-successor
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Re: Republicans warn Senate wouldn't confirm Sessions successor
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 08:53:54 pm »
Its this kind of stupid, petty bullshit Trump has to deal with.

THIS is why Trump is reduced to tweeting in a pathetic attempt to appeal to Session's sense of honor & resign.

They just want him to hold still while they kick his ass.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 08:55:37 pm by skeeter »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 09:10:02 pm »
Why would we be worse off, with Sessions' non-replacement?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DB

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 09:13:16 pm »
Feed chaos, get more chaos... One massive mess... It was a choice...

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 11:00:10 pm »
By Jordain Carney - 08/23/18 04:33 PM EDT

Senate Republicans are sending a warning shot to President Trump as he lashes out at Attorney General Jeff Sessions, saying they don't think he should fire him and hinting the Senate is unlikely to confirm a successor.

Trump renewed his criticism of Sessions — who was his earliest Senate supporter but has fallen from grace amid the Russia investigation — during a Fox News interview for the attorney general's recusal from matters related to the special counsel investigation into election interference.

But GOP senators — spanning from conservatives to Trump critics and members of leadership — are throwing their support behind Sessions, a long-time senator who remains popular with his colleagues. 

"We don't have time, nor is there a likely candidate, who could get confirmed in my view under these current circumstances," Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), the No. 2 Senate Republican, told reporters.

Asked if there was a date after which it would be easier for Trump to fire Sessions,  he added that Sessions and Trump should "work out their differences."

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/403340-republicans-warn-senate-wouldnt-confirm-sessions-successor

Not so sure about that  ... other news sources are reporting that Graham has given the o.k. to fire Sessions ...
he's suggesting after the mid terms, but if Trump was smart he'd do so before hand.  Sessions isn't exactly a popular AG. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/23/politics/lindsey-graham-jeff-sessions-replace/index.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 11:07:03 pm »
Feed chaos, get more chaos... One massive mess... It was a choice...

BINGO.

And one that we warned about - and were dismissed with vehemence by his fan base for daring to opine it.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 11:20:03 pm »
If Sessions is there or not, it would make zero difference. Everybody, EVERYBODY, knows that Rosenstein is the real AG anyway. Sessions is nothing. He is a nobody. He is invisible. Nobody knows if he even comes to work at all.

But, the one thing he is doing is blocking. He is acting as a placeholder to protect Rosenstein. That is his sole purpose. His job is to keep Trump from appointing anyone else to the position and that is why he will never resign.

You can compare Sessions to that dead Senator in Arizona. They both do nothing, but they both block anyone else taking their place.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 11:44:00 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline darroll

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 11:23:15 pm »
President Trump, go hire an attorney in rural America. Washington is full of ______________ (fill in the blank)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 11:24:57 pm »
And one that we warned about - and were dismissed with vehemence by his fan base for daring to opine it.

Still having trouble with reality I see.  Had any other Republican run in 2016, Hillary would be president @INVAR

But we wouldn't know about the corruption throughout our government and no one would be pointing it out.  So, had your gal won you would be free to preach the Bible without being sidetracked by trying to defend your indefensible political preferences by pointing fingers at the very souls who rose in unison to save this country.

Online DB

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 11:31:07 pm »
Still having trouble with reality I see.  Had any other Republican run in 2016, Hillary would be president @INVAR

But we wouldn't know about the corruption throughout our government and no one would be pointing it out.  So, had your gal won you would be free to preach the Bible without being sidetracked by trying to defend your indefensible political preferences by pointing fingers at the very souls who rose in unison to save this country.

Total BS. An excuse you tell yourself to justify what you did.

Hillary had/has huge negatives and was widely disliked even by her own party. You voted in fear because you didn't have the courage to stand for something more than a loud mouth carnival barker that "fights". You got what you voted for and we're now living the inevitable consequences.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 11:33:13 pm »
Who cares if they will not confirm a replacement? It would be no different than what we have now.
Essentially, Sessions has already resigned the job. He just refuses to leave the office.
He is not there now. So who cares if he is not replaced?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 11:36:31 pm »

Hildabeast would have lost to just about any of the 16 elephant contenders on the stage (except maybe Jeb). 

All you got is flinging that bullshit assertion again, and again, and again, and again.  It's the ONLY thing you Trump fanatics have that still might have some fizz left in it's bottle among the less-than-involved crowd.

But I do not swig from that backwash swill.

But we wouldn't know about the corruption throughout our government and no one would be pointing it out. 

More bullshit.  Plenty of Conservatives were documenting the weaponized alphabets, the corruption and malfeasance in DC in earnest since the early 1990s.

Most people diddn't give a shit, and most people bought what the media told them.  We didn't.

It's irrelevant that Trump brought it into some sunlight - because not a damn thing is going to happen to slow, stop or hold those who have broached their oaths to account.  The Beast is way past being able to be disciplined, because YOUR PARTY had chosen to look the other way and rubber stamp the institutionalization of corruption.

So, had your gal won you would be free to preach the Bible without being sidetracked by trying to defend your indefensible political preferences by pointing fingers at the very souls who rose in unison to save this country.

That made about as much sense as something Pelosi or Robert Byrd would have said after both of them were drunk and on too much of their nighttime medication.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 11:37:41 pm by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 11:47:58 am »
Looks like a recess appointment could be a
timely solution.

I am available. So is a younger brother.

I would fire every Rino and Commie in sight.

And those hiding by the trash.

And I could fire myself at the conclusion.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline jpsb

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 12:08:13 pm »
Looks like a recess appointment could be a
timely solution.

I am available. So is a younger brother.

I would fire every Rino and Commie in sight.

And those hiding by the trash.

And I could fire myself at the conclusion.

@Slide Rule for AG!

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 04:11:24 pm »
@Slide Rule for AG!

Yep a low cost day possibly two Attorney General.
Complete the job and be home in time for dinner.

You know, I would be needing an Assistant AG
since that clod occupying his office will also be
fired.

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote