Author Topic: GOP blocks Rand Paul’s bid to defund Planned Parenthood  (Read 1724 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Republican leaders in the Senate stepped in Wednesday to block Sen. Rand Paul’s latest effort to defund Planned Parenthood, an issue popular with the GOP base that some say could help energize voters for the midterm elections.

The Kentucky senator late last week signaled that he would offer an amendment to the appropriations bill funding the departments of Labor and Health and Human Services, the relevant legislative vehicle for the Planned Parenthood funding ban. Supporters said that it would need just a majority to win....

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/gop-blocks-rand-pauls-bid-to-defund-planned-parenthood

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 01:26:49 am by AbaraXas »

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: GOP blocks Rand Paul’s bid to defund Planned Parenthood
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 01:29:06 am »
Several of us predicted this outcome on the other thread. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 02:12:46 am »
Which again illustrates the point, of why it is I will never vote for another Republican ever again.

There is no difference between either the Democrats or the Republicans except in terms of how fast they get us to insolvent totalitarian statism first.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 02:35:48 am »
 **nononono*

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 02:53:06 am »
Republican leaders in the Senate stepped in Wednesday to continue taxpayer funded abortion.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 03:35:32 am »
WTF? I just gave McTurtle credit for speeding up confirmation of judges, and now he does this. Thank you Kentucky
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 04:12:00 am »
WTF? I just gave McTurtle credit for speeding up confirmation of judges, and now he does this. Thank you Kentucky

McConnell has a machine out here that would rival the Crook County IL machine in terms of crossover corruption with both yellow dog Democrats and Republican party hacks.

Money talks.  Nothing else matters.

And stealing money from the rest of the country to pay off big Farm, Big Bourbon/Horse/Louisville/Old Money liberals and Coal bosses - ensures Team Mitch a permanent place of employment.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 04:12:44 am by INVAR »

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Timothy Dennis

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 05:12:35 pm »
Is it possible that the ONE BIG issue that traditionally has separated both parties, (abortion) has now been abandoned by the GOP? The sanctity of life  in the eyes of God, is THE key issue in politics, because it deals directly with LIFE itself, and the rights of the innocent unborn.  The GOP, by not defunding Planned Parenthood has lost its soul. There is now nobody "standing in the gap" for the unborn. A nation that supports the slaughter of the innocent and vulnerable is in grave danger of being judged by God. With all the natural disasters besetting our land, if no Party stands for the unborn, don't be surprised if there isn't more of the same. Beware.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 05:20:10 pm »
McConnell has a machine out here that would rival the Crook County IL machine in terms of crossover corruption with both yellow dog Democrats and Republican party hacks.

And stealing money from the rest of the country to pay off big Farm, Big Bourbon/Horse/Louisville/Old Money liberals and Coal bosses - ensures Team Mitch a permanent place of employment.

@INVAR

You forgot to mention how completely in bed he is with the Chinese.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 05:33:50 pm »
Repukes.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 05:36:49 pm »

Who and why was this bill blocked.  Anyway, it increases my respect for Rand Paul that he introduced it.  It is an absolute disgrace and a sin for our government to fund this killing machine.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline verga

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 07:14:43 pm »
WTF is wrong with these clown
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 07:27:05 pm »
WTF is wrong with these clown

Nothing.  The Republicans are actually big-government Democrats, having deceived their voter base into believing that they are an opposition party when they are not.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2018, 12:44:52 am »

Makes the call for term limits worthy of the COS.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2018, 03:52:57 am »
Thank you for MI.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2018, 04:10:22 am »
Repeating, the article really belongs in the life news section.

Excerpt:

Rand Paul scorches GOP leaders for blocking amendment to defund Planned Parenthood
Nate Madden

“My amendment would end funding to Planned Parenthood. My amendment is already included in the House version,” Paul said in a video he later posted to his Twitter account. “And yet, my amendment is now being blocked by Republicans.”

Paul went on to suggest that the reason for the current situation is that Republican leadership cares more about passing a bloated spending bill than about standing up and fighting for the pro-life issues they like to “pay lip service to.”

As my colleague Chris Pandolfo reported earlier, establishment Republicans are worried that holding a vote on the amendment would derail the massive “minibus” appropriations bill currently before the Senate. That basically means that hundreds of millions of dollars going to an organization that kills over 300,000 unborn children every year is simply the price that many elected Republicans are willing to pay to avoid a government shutdown.

Read more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/news/rand-paul-scorches-gop-leaders-for-blocking-amendment-to-defund-planned-parenthood/

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2018, 04:17:45 am »
quote author=Hoodat link=topic=329201.msg1775513#msg1775513 date=1535079186]
Republican leaders in the Senate stepped in Wednesday to continue taxpayer funded abortion.
[/quote]

publish the list of who they are.  Every American deserves to know.

****sheep****
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2018, 04:25:47 am »
quote author=Hoodat link=topic=329201.msg1775513#msg1775513 date=1535079186]

publish the list of who they are.  Every American deserves to know.

****sheep****

https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/republican-senators-voted-defunding-planned-parenthood/

Here, the article goes on to talk about some procedural snafu which I didn't really understand very well.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2018, 04:27:18 am »
I see none of these Senators: Rubio, Lee, Paul, Senator Tom Cotton, Ben Sasse. So that means they all voted to defund I guess, if I am reading it correctly and if the article is complete. Again:

https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/republican-senators-voted-defunding-planned-parenthood/

Is the article saying Cruz, Corker were just plain non-votes, they didn't vote for defunding but they didn't vote against defunding. That article seems a bit complex on detail.

Some of those Republicans who declined to vote at all, however, will likely surprise you.

Okay, so they dodged the vote apparently.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 04:33:57 am by TomSea »