Author Topic: Jeff Sessions fires back at Trump after president insults him  (Read 3030 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jeff Sessions fires back at Trump after president insults him
« on: August 23, 2018, 05:29:46 pm »
Tucker Higgins   | @tuckerhiggins
Published 19 Mins Ago Updated Moments Ago

Attorney General Jeff Sessions pushed back against President Donald Trump on Thursday, saying in a statement that the Department of Justice would not be "improperly influenced by political considerations" hours after Trump attacked him on television.

"I took control of the Department of Justice the day I was sworn in, which is why we have had unprecedented success at effectuating the President's agenda," Sessions said in the statement, which was posted on Twitter by Justice Department spokesperson Sarah Isgur Flores.

Earlier in the day Trump said that Sessions "never took control of the Justice Department" during an interview on Fox & Friends, and criticized the former Alabama senator for recusing himself from the department's investigation into links between Trump's 2016 presidential campaign and Russia.

Sessions "took the job and then he said, 'I'm going to recuse myself.' I said what kind of a man is this?" Trump said in the interview.

more
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/23/jeff-sessions-pushes-back-against-trump-actions-of-doj-will-not-be-improperly-influenced-by-political-considerations.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline bilo

Re: Jeff Sessions fires back at Trump after president insults him
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 05:52:53 pm »
Sessions "took the job and then he said, 'I'm going to recuse myself.' I said what kind of a man is this?" Trump said in the interview.

One of the all time dumb moves. All you had to do was look at what the AG's did during the previous 8 years to see there was no need to step aside from any perceived conflict.

Sessions is just one more example of the Pubs taking the "high ground" and then getting destroyed by the Rats who always take the low road.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 05:54:46 pm »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 05:58:28 pm »
It's been said many times and I'll repeat it now:

Trump is his own worst enemy.

Does anyone think going on Fox News and pissing off the Attorney General, considering all that is going to be coming down the pike, was a wise move on Trump's part?

Offline DB

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 06:19:49 pm »

One of the all time dumb moves. All you had to do was look at what the AG's did during the previous 8 years to see there was no need to step aside from any perceived conflict.

Sessions is just one more example of the Pubs taking the "high ground" and then getting destroyed by the Rats who always take the low road.

It is always someone else's fault... Never the guy who did the hiring...

Offline raml

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 06:23:55 pm »
Sessions is a horrible AG and I wish he would be fired he is not doing his job. He has been asked more than once to have a special prosecutor for all the democrats scandals and nothing. He allows Mueller to be all over the place and he should have never have been hired in the first place to do this since it was on unproven information. Everything about Sessions is corrupt the democrats must have something big on him is all I can say. He should not have recused himself and Rosenstein should have he is only trying to find dirt on Trump and now that he hasn't he is going after people in hopes they will lie for him to stay out of jail they are all corrupt Sessions is the worst of the lot.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 06:27:48 pm »
It's been said many times and I'll repeat it now:

Trump is his own worst enemy.

Does anyone think going on Fox News and pissing off the Attorney General, considering all that is going to be coming down the pike, was a wise move on Trump's part?

His fanbase seems to think so, right after they chastise us for not dismissing all the impeachment talk out of hand and cheerleading him because "Trump needs our support!".
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 06:31:00 pm »
He should not have recused himself

Of course he should recuse himself, he dang near ran point in Tump's campaign. Certainly in the upper tier. There is very definitely a conflict of interest, and had he not recused himself, any investigation under him would have appeared tainted.

And I don't like the man.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 06:33:34 pm »
Of course he should recuse himself, he dang near ran point in Tump's campaign. Certainly in the upper tier. There is very definitely a conflict of interest, and had he not recused himself, any investigation under him would have appeared tainted.

And I don't like the man.

Mueller's "investigation" hasn't had anything at all to do with Trump's campaign for a very long time.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 06:35:04 pm »
Mueller's "investigation" hasn't had anything at all to do with Trump's campaign for a very long time.

So what?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 06:39:40 pm »
So what?

Because he recused himself because he was 'point man' for the campaign.

Jeez.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 06:46:23 pm »
Because he recused himself because he was 'point man' for the campaign.

Jeez.

Who does the special prosecutor answer to?
Who determines the scope of his investigation?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 06:53:21 pm »
Who does the special prosecutor answer to?
Who determines the scope of his investigation?

Its illogical to suppose Session's reason for his original recusal should change with the investigation's scope.

To allow it to provides an unlimited opportunity for prosecutorial abuse.

Which, surprisingly enough, is exactly what is happening here.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 07:20:27 pm »
Its illogical to suppose Session's reason for his original recusal should change with the investigation's scope.

To allow it to provides an unlimited opportunity for prosecutorial abuse.

Which, surprisingly enough, is exactly what is happening here.

It has nothing to do with Sessions. The investigation, for all intensive porpoises is run out of a congressional committee. That is a bi-partisan committee, with a DOJ interface, with the DOJ largely offering guidance as to what can be prosecuted, and what cannot. That the AG can sit in is undoubtedly true, but his input is not that great wrt scope and authority.

Did you bitch as loudly when Ken Starr's investigation went 'off the rails'??

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 07:23:31 pm »
Tucker Higgins   | @tuckerhiggins
Published 19 Mins Ago Updated Moments Ago

Attorney General Jeff Sessions pushed back against President Donald Trump on Thursday, saying in a statement that the Department of Justice would not be "improperly influenced by political considerations" hours after Trump attacked him on television.

LOL! When has it ever NOT been influenced by political considerations?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 07:25:42 pm »
Cabinet appointees serve at the pleasure of the President. If asked, what will Sessions do? Refuse to resign?
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline skeeter

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 07:28:10 pm »

Did you bitch as loudly when Ken Starr's investigation went 'off the rails'??

No I didn’t.

Do you need me to explain why?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 07:30:17 pm »
No I didn’t.

Do you need me to explain why?

No. I know why. Partisanship.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2018, 07:32:32 pm »
No. I know why. Partisanship.

Whatever you say.

As I said, a waste of my time and your’s.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2018, 07:34:48 pm »
His fanbase seems to think so, right after they chastise us for not dismissing all the impeachment talk out of hand and cheerleading him because "Trump needs our support!".

I don't think that's ever going to change, unfortunately.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2018, 07:36:47 pm »
 Department of Justice would not be "improperly influenced by political considerations" .....Again
Countdown to Resignation

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2018, 07:40:03 pm »
Whatever you say.

As I said, a waste of my time and your’s.

Yes it is, because this is what special prosecutors DO. If you cannot see that far reaching investigations being reigned in for this Republican, necessarily would also have to be reigned in the next time a Democrat is under investigation, then there is no more to say.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2018, 07:43:04 pm »
How is it that Republicans keep getting prosecuted, yet Dems always get off scott free? No political influence?
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2018, 07:44:45 pm »
First I'm not a fan of Sessions (cause of the property seizure, not the Russia investigation), however, if he leaves who is Trump going to put in? Who in sane enough to be head of DOJ while Trump is President? No I don't want Rudy.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2018, 07:47:13 pm »
First I'm not a fan of Sessions (cause of the property seizure...)

YEP