Author Topic: Man charged with killing Iowa college student was in U.S. legally, lawyer says  (Read 1001 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Man charged with killing Iowa college student was in U.S. legally, lawyer says
By Justin Wise - 08/22/18 04:01 PM EDT

The lawyer representing the man accused of murdering a 20-year-old Iowa college student said Wednesday that his client was in the U.S. legally, adding that it was "sad and sorry" that President Trump has weighed in on the case.

The Des Moines Register reported that Cristhian Bahena Rivera's attorney filed a court document Wednesday that said the defendant was working legally in the U.S., contradicting law enforcement officials who said the defendant was an undocumented immigrant.

The court filing comes a day after Rivera, 24, was charged with the murder of Mollie Tibbetts, a University of Iowa student.

In the court document, attorney Allen Richards accused the government of wrongly promoting the idea that Rivera was in the U.S. illegally. He also criticized President Trump for discussing Tibbetts's death during a rally on Tuesday night.

more
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/403095-man-charged-with-killing-iowa-college-student-death-was-in-us
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Timothy Dennis

If JUSTICE be served, that LEGAL loser will be LEGALLY thrown in prison for life!

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
This lawyer is basing his claim of legal status based on Yarrabee Farms statement Tuesday night saying Rivera was vetted through the government's E-Verify system.
Well  the Brooklyn, Iowa, farm is NOT participating member of the system.
And officials from the farm later retracted the statement and acknowledged they did not use the E-Verify system.

So I bet this killer is a very illegal alien. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
This lawyer is basing his claim of legal status based on Yarrabee Farms statement Tuesday night saying Rivera was vetted through the government's E-Verify system.
Well  the Brooklyn, Iowa, farm is NOT participating member of the system.
And officials from the farm later retracted the statement and acknowledged they did not use the E-Verify system.

So I bet this killer is a very illegal alien.

I'll join you!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I really wish Trump would stay away from this one.  It's going to give them fuel to go easy on the guy, and I hate to see that.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Now, other stories are saying and this sounds like it could be "identity theft"  is that the farm knew him by a different name  They may have verified the Social Security and thought it "e-verify" which it isn't. This is from 3 hours ago, so we get a variety of information.
Farm owner says alleged murderer of Mollie Tibbetts used a different name - Radio Iowa
Dar Danielson

Dan Lang (Courtesy of KWWL-TV)

The co-owner of the rural Brooklyn farming operation where the man worked who is accused of murdering Mollie Tibbetts says they took what they thought were all of the proper steps to verify that the man was in the country legally.

Dane Lang says Cristhian Rivera presented a photo ID issued by the state and a Social Security card when he applied for a job at Yarrabee Farms. “What we learned in the last 24 hours is that our employee was not who he said he was,” Lang says. “And just within the last four hours, we have come to learn that the Social Security Employment Verification System is not the same as E-Verify.” Lang says the family member who handled the verification did not switch to using the new E-Verify system when it began. Lang says they are part of the Brooklyn community and feel her death just like others.

“I want you to know that all of us are saddened by the tragic death of Mollie, and the realization that one of our coworkers was involved,” Lang says. Lang says he cannot say the name that Rivera was using and other information about him because it is part of the ongoing investigation. He says Rivera worked for them for four years and was an employee in good-standing — meaning he showed up for work and got along with his co-workers.

Read more at: https://www.radioiowa.com/2018/08/22/farm-owner-says-alleged-murderer-of-mollie-tibbetts-used-a-different-name/

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I really wish Trump would stay away from this one.  It's going to give them fuel to go easy on the guy, and I hate to see that.

Negatory Missy....Trump needs to tear the dims and the Open boarder people a new ass hole over this. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Negatory Missy....Trump needs to tear the dims and the Open boarder people a new ass hole over this.

Well let us know if anything comes of it.  We've been waiting almost two years now and he has had victims of illegal crimes stand on the podium with him and tell their stories.  Nothing.........
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.